"Marlins, O's still puzzling over trade scenario"

MarlinatPenn

Marlins, Orioles still puzzling over trade scenarios

By Juan C. Rodriguez

Staff Writer

Posted July 20 2005

PHOENIX ? A.J. Burnett made his scheduled start Tuesday against the Diamondbacks in Arizona.

Change the day, opponent and location and the same question remains: Will Burnett make his scheduled start Sunday against the Giants in San Francisco?

According to two baseball sources, that may hinge on whether the Marlins and Orioles can determine what to do with Mike Lowell. The Orioles are reticent about taking Lowell as part of any Burnett trade unless one of two things happens:

The Marlins can take back right-hander Sidney Ponson, who is due $10 million in 2006, the final season of a three-year, $22.5 million deal. Or they can pick up a significant portion of Lowell's remaining contract. Lowell is signed through 2007 and owed about $21 million, including this season.

Problem is the Orioles don't want Lowell and the Marlins don't want Ponson. Lowell doesn't fit into the Orioles' lineup considering they have no plans to move Melvin Mora from third. Adding Burnett without trading Ponson would give the Orioles an extra starter.

Ponson has a limited no-trade clause, but the Marlins are not among the 10 teams to which he cannot be traded.

"[General Manager] Admin [beinfest] said absolutely no to Sidney Ponson," one source said. "It might happen without Lowell."

In a scaled-back version of the deal, the Marlins could send Burnett and Triple-A left-hander Matt Perisho to the Orioles for right-hander Jorge Julio, pitching prospect Hayden Penn and left-hander Steve Kline.

For the Orioles to take Lowell, chances are the Marlins would have to pick up no less than half of the remaining $21 million.

"The Marlins should jump on that," one of the sources said. "Where are they going to get two good arms that they're going to have under contract for a long time? To get Penn and Julio, [the Marlins] are the ones who should be nervous the Orioles are going to go somewhere else."

Should the two teams reach an agreement, the Orioles will request a 72-hour negotiating window to try to work out an extension with Burnett. The Orioles may be willing to go through with a deal even if they don't lock up Burnett, who is eligible for free agency after this season.

Reports surfacing Monday of the Pirates being involved in a three-team deal with the Marlins and Orioles that would have brought left-hander Mark Redman back to South Florida apparently were overstated, according to one team official with knowledge of the discussions.

The Blue Jays and White Sox could jump back in if the Marlins decide to trade Burnett independently of Lowell.

I'd be absolutely thrilled if this trade goes down without Lowell involved. I know the guy is struggling, but I don't care. He's been too important to this franchise, had too many great moments, and is one of the rare "good guys" in sports these days.

Keep him. :)

Lowell has been looking good lately.. I want to keep him. If we have to pay half of his salary just to get rid of him then we should keep him. .. I would love this deal if we didn't trade Lowell also. Julio would be a nice addition to our bullpen despite what some people say.. He is still very young, lots of time to improve. If we get Kline and he gets back to the way he was pitching last year I will have alot of confidence in our bullpen and we would get a good pitching prospect.

Julio/Kline(Last years version)/Mota/Jones

That's not a bad bullpen at all. Plus we get to keep Lowell? That would be awesome in my opinion.

I'd be absolutely thrilled if this trade goes down without Lowell involved. I know the guy is struggling, but I don't care. He's been too important to this franchise, had too many great moments, and is one of the rare "good guys" in sports these days.

Keep him. :)

866551[/snapback]

very true. I agree. Let's get max value for Burnett and give Lowell another half to wake up.

Screw Orioles, get more from someone else willing to pay...we're trading AJ and someone who could be reliable in the pullpen once called back up for a bunch of prospects...we dont need Steve Kline either. This deal smells like s***!

866649[/snapback]

I wouldnt go that far, but agreed.

Lowell has been looking good lately.. I want to keep him. If we have to pay half of his salary just to get rid of him then we should keep him. .. I would love this deal if we didn't trade Lowell also. Julio would be a nice addition to our bullpen despite what some people say.. He is still very young, lots of time to improve. If we get Kline and he gets back to the way he was pitching last year I will have alot of confidence in our bullpen and we would get a good pitching prospect.

Julio/Kline(Last years version)/Mota/Jones

That's not a bad bullpen at all. Plus we get to keep Lowell? That would be awesome in my opinion.

866562[/snapback]

I agree. I hope we pull this off without Mike involved.

I say screw both the Red Sox FO and the O's FO and trade him to the Blue Jays.

Get Chacin and others...for AJ

866778[/snapback]

I agree. If we can go back to the Jays and get the Chacin/League deal, go for it. Chacin has been good this year and he's a young guy who's bound to get better, and League is a potential closer in the making.