Interesting Assessment about O's Value

TSwift25

This is from today's rumblings:

Instead of adding a starting pitcher, the Orioles could look to bolster their already potent offense. One club official said they asked the Cincinnati Reds about slugger Adam Dunn, but the Reds told them their asking price started with Bedard.

Link

Interesting that Adam Dunn, who is a very good but flawed player, has a higher asking price than AJ Burnett, who is a very good but flawed player. To me, they're mirror images of each other, just one pitches and the other hits. They both have a ton of talent, and they have the ability to be the best there is at their respective position, yet neither has really put it together. However, the Reds clearly feel that Julio, Penn and Bigbie just isn't good enough, even if it's for a player who they probably can't afford next season, and who hasn't "put it all together" yet...

This is from today's rumblings:

Instead of adding a starting pitcher, the Orioles could look to bolster their already potent offense. One club official said they asked the Cincinnati Reds about slugger Adam Dunn, but the Reds told them their asking price started with Bedard.

Link

Interesting that Adam Dunn, who is a very good but flawed player, has a higher asking price than AJ Burnett, who is a very good but flawed player. To me, they're mirror images of each other, just one pitches and the other hits. They both have a ton of talent, and they have the ability to be the best there is at their respective position, yet neither has really put it together. However, the Reds clearly feel that Julio, Penn and Bigbie just isn't good enough, even if it's for a player who they probably can't afford next season, and who hasn't "put it all together" yet...

866799[/snapback]

That is a pretty high asking price for a hitter who strikes out more often tha anyone in the league or close to that clip....

the difference between Dunn and AJ is that Dunn is arbitration-eligible for one more year. Although he will likely demand over $8 million for his services, whatever team trades for him will at least know that he can't leave them next year unless they want him to. With AJ, if you get him and don't sign him to an extension, you risk losing him to the Yankees after October is through. That's why Dunn is worth more.

He has a high OBS though and his power numbers there would be ungodly. Either way if they pull out of the AJ sweepstakes, then just TTFN and move on.

I think Dunn could fit interesting for them but dont they have a log-jam in the outfield as it is?

866808[/snapback]

I wouldn't call it a logjam, just a bunch of guys who play a little outfield, a little first base and make very good fielding DHs. Believe me, we'd find room for Dunn.

By the way, the O's front office has long said they feel that offense was easier to acquire via trade or free agency than pitching. That's been a pretty consistent philosophy for them. We also have some pitching depth in the minors (including some potential No. 1 or No. 2 guys like Penn) but very little as far as offense.

I wouldn't call it a logjam, just a bunch of guys who play a little outfield, a little first base and make very good fielding DHs. Believe me, we'd find room for Dunn.

By the way, the O's front office has long said they feel that offense was easier to acquire via trade or free agency than pitching. That's been a pretty consistent philosophy for them. We also have some pitching depth in the minors (including some potential No. 1 or No. 2 guys like Penn) but very little as far as offense.

867378[/snapback]

It's a flawed plan as long as their minor league coaching and training develops busted arms.

He has a high OBS though and his power numbers there would be ungodly. Either way if they pull out of the AJ sweepstakes, then just TTFN and move on.

I think Dunn could fit interesting for them but dont they have a log-jam in the outfield as it is?

866808[/snapback]

867378[/snapback]

And that's why they will always be the bitches of the Yankees and Red Sox in the NL East. And for nearly a decade their "consistent philosophy" has resulted in them "consistently" not making the playoffs.

867677[/snapback]

Firstly, the Orioles, Red Sox and Yankees are in the American League. At least, that's what I saw in the papers. Didn't come here to fight, just hoping to have an adult conversation. If you can't join in, just don't read what I have to say.

The current front office hasn't been in place for decade, only since 2003. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but that is what they believe. That is why they are considering adding offense when pitching seems to be the more obvious need.