AJ might stay b/c he won't sign any deals

Fishin2004

The latest from Rotoworld indicates that the holdup isn't Lowell's money but AJ's reluctance to talk deal.....

A.J. Burnett - S - FLA

A.J. Burnett may not be going anywhere after all.

He's very reluctant to sign a long-term deal with anyone since he's so close to free agency. However, most teams are only going to want him if they know he'll be around for a few years, so he may just stay put and then see what he can get in this winter. Jul. 22 - 12:07 pm et

here is their source, which is the Toronto Sun, so grain of salt it:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/Tor...142820-sun.html

A.J. Burnett may still be in the Blue Jays' sights.

But the depth perception on the telescope will have to be adjusted slightly.

Rather than acquire the right-hander from the Florida Marlins at the non-waiver trade deadline in nine days' time, the Jays now could be in the running when the free-agent sweepstakes begin two days after the end of the World Series.

"We're told he won't sign a long-term deal since he's so close to free agency," one executive said.

The Jays and the Orioles had hoped to have a 72-hour window to talk about a long-term deal with Burnett.

That means that the proposed three-team deal between the Marlins, the Orioles and the Pittsburgh Pirates now stands somewhere near Limbo, Pa.

"I'm not sure that Mike Lowell was ever in the deal," another executive said.

Whatever the case, it's not a happy Baltimore clubhouse, as the trade has hung over the O's, affecting all the players involved.

Baltimore proposed sending outfielder Admin Bigbie, relievers Jorge Julio, Steve Kline, Steve Reed and minor-league pitcher Hayden Penn to Florida for Burnett, third baseman Mike Lowell and minor-league outfielder Eric Reed.

Lowell and the remains of his $18 million US contract would then be sent to the Pirates.

On Wednesday, the Marlins attempted to work out another three-way involving the Red Sox and Twins. The Marlins would have received pitchers Bronson Arroyo and Joe Mays.

Going to the Twins would be Bill Mueller and prospects while the Red Sox would wind up with Lowell, Burnett and J.C. Romero.

If we keep him and make a run. In the playoffs we will be ungodly sick, if we dont make a run then we will have wasted what we could of picked up for him. The choice is yours. Big time power pitcher to scare folks. Or another alright pitcher with an extra relief help.

are you guys kidding? if we can't get someone to take on Lowell without paying over half his salary when we're tossing AJ in on the deal, we're never trading him.

870095[/snapback]

We should hang with Lowell. He is getting better and I believe will continue to do so. If at the end of the season they still want to dump his salary, his value will go up.

I'm fine with AJ staying and just getting draft picks. The Nationals are starting to crumble and we can still win the wild card.

That's Draft PICK not plural, letting Pavano leave through free agency? fine. but not AJ he is worth a whole hell of a lot more than a draft pick... ONE draft pick.

I'm fine with AJ staying and just getting draft picks. The Nationals are starting to crumble and we can still win the wild card.

That's Draft PICK not plural, letting Pavano leave through free agency? fine. but not AJ he is worth a whole hell of a lot more than a draft pick... ONE draft pick.

870387[/snapback]

I'm not saying that we need to dump AJ at all costs, but seeing what these deals have looked like, i think the FO would be doing this team (and us) a disservice if they don't deal him. the kind of top-flight AAA pitching that we're being offered for AJ could help us win games for the next 5 years. look at Oakland....they bit the bullet, traded Mulder and Hudson, and now they're set up for another 3 or 4 year run with Haren. meanwhile, if that had been us, you all would be saying stuff like "Haren for AJ? no way! AJ's too valuable!"

870387[/snapback]

You do know the Marlins would receive two draft picks right? One in the first round, another in the supplemental.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.