September 2, 200521 yr Only Shea ranks below Dolphins Stadium. Link Average Ticket Price: $15.55 Rating 1-10: 9 Average Cost of Concessions and Souvenirs: $89.50 Rating: 3 Accessibility Pluses: More than 20,000 parking spaces located within a 15-minute walk of the stadium, all reasonably priced at $10 a car during baseball season; park and ride shuttle buses available for weekend home games. Minuses: With minimal public transportation options, you have few options other than getting beyhind the wheel. Rating: 3 Amenities A cornucopia of 113 concession locations; an average number of seats (300) for disabled fans; an ample number of restrooms (40 men's, 40 women's); Fanzone offers batting cages, an interactive bullpen and a home run derby game. Rating: 4 Atmosphere Throw out tradition and charm when you visit the home of the Florida Marlins. Sitting on palm-tree lined Dan Marino Boulevard, orange and aqua green-rinsed Dolphin Stadium is the nation's tackiest setting for Major League Baseball. In the right-field corner of the stadium, scandily-clad babes who serve as cheerleaders strip down to bikinis and take dips in a fieldside hot tub. Even that isn't enough to grab the attention of a crowd more likely to want to talk about A.J. Feeley than A.J. Burnett. During the Marlins' playoff run in 2003 a horde of fans could be seen standing around two TV sets watching a Dolphins game. The good news, though, is that walk-up tickets are available in abundance. The food, though, is as inspiring as the fans. You won't find anything unique here, besides the chocolate and vanilla selections of Carvel ice cream. -- Albert Chen Rating: 4 Neighborhood What neighborhood? Besides the nearby views of I-95 and I-75, there's not much to look at, but word is there's a McDonald's about 15 minutes away. The good news is that Fish fans -- this is football country, after all -- know how to tailgate, and here the conversations all revolve around the same question: When does football season start? -- Albert Chen Rating: 2 Team 2005 Record: 69-62 (all statistics through Aug. 29) Players worth price of admission: Miguel Cabrera (.331 BA, 27 HR, 91 RBI), Carlos Delgado (.293 BA, 26 HR, 93 RBI), Juan Pierre (.264 BA, 46 SB), Dontrelle Willis (18-8, 2.61 ERA). Rating: 6 The Skinny Maybe if Dolphins football wasn't religion; maybe if the Marlins weren't owned by a man, Jeffrey Loria, who did everything in his power to poison baseball in Montreal when he owned the Expos; maybe if the team didn't play in a football stadium - this smartly run club would have a gem of baseball-only stadium in vibrant Miami. Rather, they are saddled with a wealthy art dealer asking for public subsidies for a new ballpark. What a shame. Rating (out of 70): 30
September 2, 200521 yr I think your quote down at the bottom will show my mind upon this guy's skinny. "Albert Chan, you ignorant slut"
September 2, 200521 yr I think your quote down at the bottom will show my mind upon this guy's skinny. "Albert Chan, you ignorant slut" 925941[/snapback] No, he tells the truth. If the english speaking crowd at DS is all "OMG THE DOLPHINS". This article fails to mention the all baseball latino fans at the games.
September 2, 200521 yr They forget to mention that Loria is putting up more money towards a stadium than any owner in history.
September 2, 200521 yr How Tropicana and RFK ended up ahead of JRS/PPS/DS I don't know. Well, I do. RFK is given credit for its great accessibility (which it is but at the expense of all its roads and public transit options clogged with traffic) and atmosphere (terrible since about the start of May). And Tropicana for its non-baseball related entertainment which is irrevalent when the ballpark stinks and the fan atmosphere is poor. And despite what Chen says about the boring ballpark fare, Dolphins Stadium has some of the best vegetarian options of the east coast ballparks I've been to.
September 2, 200521 yr Funny that Page 2 did a similar thing not too long ago and Pro Player ended up in the middle of the pack (I think 19). Pro Player isn't perfect, but it does a lot right. Oh, and this is the first time I've heard the media knock the fans in such a manner. Usually it's something to the extent of "there may only be 20,000, but those are some of the noisiest 20,000 you're going to find."
September 2, 200521 yr During the Marlins' playoff run in 2003 a horde of fans could be seen standing around two TV sets watching a Dolphins game. I was there during that game, and yes we were watching football but it was an hour before the game even started, what else was there to do? Watch the ground crew?
September 2, 200521 yr How Tropicana and RFK ended up ahead of JRS/PPS/DS I don't know. Well, I do. RFK is given credit for its great accessibility (which it is but at the expense of all its roads and public transit options clogged with traffic) and atmosphere (terrible since about the start of May). And Tropicana for its non-baseball related entertainment which is irrevalent when the ballpark stinks and the fan atmosphere is poor. And despite what Chen says about the boring ballpark fare, Dolphins Stadium has some of the best vegetarian options of the east coast ballparks I've been to. 925965[/snapback] I went to a Nats-Mets game earlier this season and they had a great crowd for a day game and it was very lively. Impressive for a new team.
September 2, 200521 yr I went to a Nats-Mets game earlier this season and they had a great crowd for a day game and it was very lively. Impressive for a new team. 926003[/snapback] Over the past few months it's been rather mundane. The crowd hasn't made the third base side seats bounce, the only unique thing about the stadium, since mid May. The crowd is late arriving, early leaving and glued to their seats and cell phones (rather, blackberrys) throughout the game.
September 2, 200521 yr I went to a Nats-Mets game earlier this season and they had a great crowd for a day game and it was very lively. Impressive for a new team. 926003[/snapback] Over the past few months it's been rather mundane. The crowd hasn't made the third base side seats bounce, the only unique thing about the stadium, since mid May. The crowd is late arriving, early leaving and glued to their seats and cell phones (rather, blackberrys) throughout the game. 926009[/snapback] Went in July but good call!
September 2, 200521 yr "and here the conversations all revolve around the same question: When does football season start?" :thumbdown I could care less when football season starts and the Dolphins blow anyway...
September 2, 200521 yr Those 20,000 at the Dolphins game today agree with the writer of this article.
September 2, 200521 yr I went to a Nats-Mets game earlier this season and they had a great crowd for a day game and it was very lively. Impressive for a new team. 926003[/snapback] Over the past few months it's been rather mundane. The crowd hasn't made the third base side seats bounce, the only unique thing about the stadium, since mid May. The crowd is late arriving, early leaving and glued to their seats and cell phones (rather, blackberrys) throughout the game. 926009[/snapback] I was watching the game last night, Mets vs. Phillies, and once there was a drop of rain, this still being in the 7th inning, the seats cleared out.
September 2, 200521 yr I have to say the stadium's atmosphere and seating or whatever have absolutely no impact on whether or not im going to see the Marlins. I've been to Turner Field and while the gigantic HD screen was amazing it was the last thing I thought about when the game started to pick up. I think amenities, atmosphere, food blah blah blah make the most impact if the game is really boring. The most important thing is the product on the field, when that is good nothing else matters, imo.
September 2, 200521 yr I would've put Dolphins Stadium in last place. I can't just get into a baseball mood at that place. It has Dolphins stuff everywhere, the weather is horrible, and the people are oh so friendly.
September 2, 200521 yr During the Marlins' playoff run in 2003 a horde of fans could be seen standing around two TV sets watching a Dolphins game. He must be a Cubs fan. The only game that was possible is the Oct 12 game when Beckett shut the Cubs down. He's still crying. Also, if I've ever left my seat to go to concessions, the only game on the TVs is the Marlins. Being a Cubs fan inherently makes it impossible for Chen to tell the truth. As for Loria, baseball's least wealthy owner has put up more money than any other owner for the stadium, and is the only owner whose MLB payroll approaches 40%-50% of his wealth.
September 2, 200521 yr "and here the conversations all revolve around the same question: When does football season start?" :thumbdown I could care less when football season starts and the Dolphins blow anyway... 926033[/snapback] Who are the Miami Dolphins? :shrugs :shifty
September 2, 200521 yr "and here the conversations all revolve around the same question: When does football season start?" :thumbdown I could care less when football season starts and the Dolphins blow anyway... 926033[/snapback] Who are the Miami Dolphins? :shrugs :shifty 926351[/snapback] :lol :notworthy
September 2, 200521 yr I grew up on the dolphins. I love them honestly, and if I had the choice between dolphins season tickets and marlins I would be hard to choose. I never miss a game for either team if I can help it. I love both of them. They are my two favorites and The U my college team. The marlins need their own stadium hopefully near to Joe Robbie. Go Marlins and Go Dolphins
September 2, 200521 yr I liked ESPNs rankings a lot better as it was pretty much the same guy hitting stadiums for giggles I looked at the AZ one which was done by a different person they rated low as a team with a 3 guy gave the neighborhood an 8 and mentions all the great things to do, including a brewery that has been shut down for almost 2 years ... the scene is dead down there ... there is 1 or 2 bars, but nothing that major .... after games many places like to charge big covers, because the options are limited i would of ranked it higher for some things as well
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.