November 11, 200520 yr Article SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Florida Marlins first baseman Carlos Delgado became the first player to join Puerto Rico's team for the inaugural World Baseball Classic, signing a letter of intent on Thursday. It will be the first time Delgado will represent Puerto Rico since the 1995 Caribbean Series. ``I feel extremely proud, especially since I've never had the opportunity to represent Puerto Rico in a world event of this magnitude,'' Delgado said. Other Puerto Rican major leaguers, including Ivan Rodriguez, Carlos Beltran, Mike Lowell and Javier Lopez have yet to confirm if they'll play in the tournament. The 16-nation, 18-day World Baseball Classic will start on March 3 in Asia, where Group A will include Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and China. Puerto Rico will host first- and second-round games at Hiram Bithorn stadium in San Juan, site of some of the Montreal Expos home games in 2003 and '04.
November 11, 200520 yr Since Beltr?n repped PR at the press conference in July, I think it's a safe bet he'll confirm as well.
November 11, 200520 yr Sounds the the PR team will be loaded with former Marlins. Pudge. Delgado. Lowell
November 11, 200520 yr Marlins161, I'm starting to think you're a troll... :ban No I am a season ticket holder not happy with what the club is doing. I'm soon going to be an ex season ticket holder if some direction isn't given.
November 11, 200520 yr Sounds the the PR team will be loaded with former Marlins. Pudge. Delgado. Lowell Could be true... :confused
November 11, 200520 yr Mike refers to himself as "a Cuban born in Puerto Rico." His family is Cuban (as is his wife) and moved to Puerto Rico to escape Castro/communism and Mike was born there.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.