New York Post says

Iowa

From Rotoworld:

According to the New York Post, the Mets are ready to give up Yusmeiro Petit and take on Carlos Delgado's entire $48 million salary to bring the first baseman to New York.

The Mets were barely willing to pay him that much over four years when he was a free agent a year ago -- their first offer was for about $33 million over three years. Now they're supposedly willing to pay him $16 million per year -- it will actually be more if they have to make up the difference in the state taxes between Florida, which has none, and New York -- and give up one of the top-10 pitching prospects in baseball. It's foolish, but it'd certainly give them a lineup to be reckoned with.

I don't know if I would prefer Petit or Milledge, but I have a feeling they'd never give up Milledge. IF Delgado had to be traded, even though many here would say we'd be stupid to do it with a division rival and while I agree to an extent, Petit is the best we could get for him IMO.

they will play in the same division, but the team will field will probably not rival anyone.. unfortunately.

Milledge is a must if your going to deal with within the division, just b/c your probable not going to compete next season it doesn't mean he won't stand in the Marlins way when they do compete ala Mike Piazza and speaking of Mike the Marlins should look a similar deal when dealing with the Mets. What was the deal there top position P-Funk, and two top pitching prospects. I understand Mike was a little younger, but just to offer Petit is unacceptable. By the way the Marlins were trying to dump Piazza just like Delgado.

Background: Petit has dominated at every step up the ladder. He has struck out more than a batter an inning in all six minor league stops, finishing second in the minors with 200 whiffs in 2004. He followed up with a strong winter in Venezeula.

Strengths: Petit?s fastball leaves batters and scouts scratching their heads. It has solid velocity (89-91 mph, touching 93) and movement, but nothing about it appears to be exceptional?except how hitters never seem to get a good swing against it. His slider is already average and has plus potential. His changeup is more advanced than his slider, but with less room for growth.

Weaknesses: It?s uncertain whether Petit?s fastball will play as well against more advanced hitters. However, those questions are diminishing as he continues to have success. Petit carries a little extra weight and will need to make sure he doesn?t add too much more.

his fastball is OK but like it say up there it scares me with big league hitters