Thome to White Sox very close

Iowa

Trade is now a done deal, pending physicals

PHILADELPHIA ? (AP) ? The Philadelphia Phillies reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday to send Jim Thome and cash to the World Series champion Chicago White Sox for center fielder Aaron Rowand.

The deal is subject to the players passing physicals, the Phillies and White Sox said. Because the of the cash involved, it also must be approved by the commissioner's office.

Thome, an oft-injured first baseman, is owed $43.5 million in the final three seasons of his $85 million, six-year contract. He hit .207 with seven homers and 30 RBIs in just 193 at-bats last season and became expendable after the emergence of Ryan Howard, who won the NL Rookie of the Year award.

Rowand batted .270 with 13 homers and 69 RBIs for the White Sox last season. He will make $3.25 million next year, and his contract includes a $3.25 million player option for 2007. If Rowand declines, his club can exercise the option at $5 million.

Rowand is represented by Craig Landis, also the agent for first baseman Paul Konerko, the MVP of Chicago's AL championship series win. Konerko became a free agent after the World Series, and Tuesday's trade doesn't necessarily mean the White Sox will abandon their attempt to re-sign him since one can be the designated hitter.

If the White Sox do re-sign Konerko, it's unclear whether they also would attempt to keep Frank Thomas, who also became a free agent. Chicago might move Scott Podsednik from left field to center and give top prospect Brian Anderson a shot in left or in center.

Rowand fills Philadelphia's need for a center fielder. The Phillies weren't planning to re-sign Kenny Lofton, who hit .335 while platooning with Jason Michaels in center last year.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE, this trade. Rowand's a nice CF, I'm hoping they can spin them to the yankee's for an Arm but even if Rowand sticks, I'm quite ok with him. Not to mention Haigwood who had some real nice numbers last year, Gio Gonzalez look's somewhat nice as well.

I love Jim, but he didn't have a place on this team with Howard incapable of playing the OF, it meant Thome had to go. The fact that they got a solid CF and prospects, only makes me love Gillick more, this is a deal Ed Wade would have never pulled off.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE, this trade. Rowand's a nice CF, I'm hoping they can spin them to the yankee's for an Arm but even if Rowand sticks, I'm quite ok with him. Not to mention Haigwood who had some real nice numbers last year, Gio Gonzalez look's somewhat nice as well.

I love Jim, but he didn't have a place on this team with Howard incapable of playing the OF, it meant Thome had to go. The fact that they got a solid CF and prospects, only makes me love Gillick more, this is a deal Ed Wade would have never pulled off.

Hey rune, you think Thome can bounce back next year? Was this primarily because of Howard or because Thome is a huge injury risk for whatever team takes him?

Hey rune, you think Thome can bounce back next year? Was this primarily because of Howard or because Thome is a huge injury risk for whatever team takes him?

I think, and hope he can. Maybe, not to the levels of say 03 and 04 but I think he can have a very nice year in Chicago if he can DH. The Phils had to move his contract, it was just too big and with Howard really heating up during Thome's absence, it made him the odd man out. Howard has great potential in that park, and with a much cheaper contract, Thome had to go.

The phils tried for the past two years to get Howard into RF and move Abreu to Center but Howard wasn't progressing and Abreu had already detested Center from the time he spent there when Jeremy Giambi was playing right in 02.

Overall, I still love Jim for coming to Philly when it was in desperate need of a star and I will always be a huge fan and forever grateful. It's just a shame it had to come to this but you can't sit a young emerging star for an injured counterpart.

Guest FishFanInPA

WFAN in NY is reporting Rowand ain't staying long....The Phillies are gonna deal him to the Yankees.....

Philly radio is reporting Burrell or Abreu is goin for a pitcher too.

BTW, Gio Gonzalez was a first round pick last year and Haigwood was lights out in AA this year. These aren't no name prospects and the Phillies had to take a huge chunk of Thome's salary if they were ever going to move him.

Now that they're going to get pitching for Rowand and hopefully moving Abreu while he's still hot, I love love this deal.

BTW, Gio Gonzalez was a first round pick last year and Haigwood was lights out in AA this year. These aren't no name prospects and the Phillies had to take a huge chunk of Thome's salary if they were ever going to move him.

Now that they're going to get pitching for Rowand and hopefully moving Abreu while he's still hot, I love love this deal.

Gio got sent to Philly in that trade??

Don't mind me i just answered my own question....wow the Phillies got an excellent deal in this one...Gio is going to be a stud...the ChiSox were really really high on him