People Just Don't Care

OrlandoFish

Posted on Thu, Nov. 24, 2005

Should Florida Marlins stay or hit the road?

What does it take to make a business an unqualified success? Location, location, location. You also need a product and a strategy that will make the public clamor to come.

The Orange Bowl site was bad idea. If the Marlins franchise is to remain vibrant it has to be in a readily accessible area from at least five counties -- Monroe, Miami-Dade, Broward, Collier, and Palm Beach.

The proposed site in North Miami-Dade County meets that criterion. The major sticking point is still the missing funding.

Some suggest that Wayne Huizenga step up to the plate and sell land he owns at an affordable price. If Miami-Dade could respond quickly enough, that might work.

Of course, some people would protest, pointing to the failed Miami Arena and problems with American Airlines Arena and Parrot Jungle's relocation. But we should put these concerns aside, think positively and make a move.

CLARA JANE MARIAN, Miami

Finding funding for a new baseball stadium should be moved to the bottom of the list. Instead, let's fund the Department of Children & Families, Vocational Rehabilitation Services, homes for the homeless and foster children turning 18.

The list could go on and on. Where is the money for services for people who truly need them?

PAULA DAVIS, Miami

What a shame to give $300 million in public funds to the Performing Arts Center that caters only to the rich while the community can't seal a deal with the Florida Marlins to keep our world champions in South Florida. Baseball is an affordable event for our families that rich, poor, young and old can enjoy.

SUE FREEDMAN, Plantation

Blackmail won't work. Marlins management repeatedly has threatened to quit the state if we don't build a stadium, like it's some kind of charitable cause.

The answer is clear: We don't want you that badly. :banghead

ALIX SHARKEY, Miami Beach

The old Miami Arena was ''given away'' for $28 million. Buy it back. Turn it into a 5,000-car garage with ramp access to I-95. Forget the museum in Bicentennial Park. Build a 40,000-seat domed baseball stadium there.

Then we'll have a state-of-the-art garage, with interstate access and that feeds the People Mover to the Performing Arts Center, a baseball stadium, the Heat's arena, Bayside and Bayfront Park.

But maybe this all makes too much sense for Miami-Dade County.

GARY DIX, Miami

I am 16 and lucky to have grown up with the Florida Marlins. I have watched them win two world championships. They taught me the importance of teamwork and giving back to our community.

It is time to resolve the stadium issue so that we don't lose our team.

ALEX DIAMANT, Plantation

Many South Floridians realize that there are wonderful diversions that are cheaper and more fulfilling than watching baseball. Perhaps that is why, even after winning the championships, attendance at Marlins games is so low.

When a television show has low viewership, they pull the plug. When a play has low attendance, it closes. I wish the Marlins well but will hardly know they are gone. South Floridians will continue to enjoy the theater, wonderful restaurants, clubs and other venues of entertainment that make this place so special.

LAURENCE SILVERMAN, Miami

So the Marlins baseball team might move to Las Vegas. I humbly suggest a new name for the franchise: the Mustangs. If you're in it solely for the money, be as honest about it as the people who work at the ranch of the same name.

TED BRAUNSTEIN, North Miami

:mad

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/...on/13247646.htm

Nobody really cares about a Performing Arts Center. There's already too many places for performing arts down here. We need a damn baseball team!

Actually, there aren't any places down here. Besides Miami Beach and Coral Gables, and Downtown Gusman. There is really nothing. Coconut Grove too I guess. We do need a Performing Arts center down here. But I really hate how they spent so much damn money on it because they couldn't get a competent contractor or designer.

What a shame to give $300 million in public funds to the Performing Arts Center that caters only to the rich while the community can't seal a deal with the Florida Marlins to keep our world champions in South Florida. Baseball is an affordable event for our families that rich, poor, young and old can enjoy.

SUE FREEDMAN, Plantation

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/...on/13247646.htm

:mischief2

But the question is, will 2+ million people a year go to a performing arts center, not counting any other events held at the baseball stadium? I would rather confidently say no.

This city still needs a lot of "growing up" to do before it becomes a legit city. Downtown is ridden w/ poverty and drug violence, horrible public transportation, horrible high way systems, and lack of traditional culture (performing arts centers, museums, etc). You do not have reputable museums or a plethora of performing arts centers. These are all issues that the city needs to address before the City of Miami becomes a "real city". Don't believe me? Go take a visit to Chicago, San Francisco, or St. Louis and you'll see what I mean.

That being said, the city has had a POOR reputation with managing public building projects which have been addressed before in this thread. I personally would like to see the stadium in the park next to AAA. It has perfect access by metrorail/people mover and is close enough to Little Havana to be accessable to the blue colar workforce that IS Little Havana citizens. But lets be honest with ourselves, we cannot blame the cities constiuents (sp) by not trusting the city w/ tax money for this stadium. I don't blame them. I wouldn't trust the city to make my toast let allone handle a quarter of a billion dollar project.

These people that say there is a huge list of things that the city needs to address are right. BUT, that doesn't mean the city will address them. My family has been here for almost 60 years and not once has the city been able to make the right decisions. The point I'm trying to make here is that yes, the city has a list of much more important needs, but just because the stadium deal is dead doesn't mean that these items on the list are going to get taken care of. As a matter of fact I can almost assure those people that none of those things will be taken care of.