ESPN Hot Stove: Dontrelle Willis Should Be Traded

Heard this on the radio (XM: ESPNews)

Lots of baseball talk from the winter meetings, some points:

• The Marlins should trade Dontrelle Willis - Can't afford him after next year and his value is sky high. He is a "Franchise Changing" player and the Marlins can ask for any amount of prospects or young MLB stars for him. Nobody will say no.
  • AJ Burnett signing changes everything. Now you won't pay a pitcher based on prior performance but also on their ceiling and projections. Now a Barry Zito can't be traded because he will command much more than AJ (Zito hasn't missed a start SINCE HIGH SCHOOL!). Willis will go at a huge premium after arby, they repeat the Marlins will no way be able to afford him and should get what they can for now.
  • Gammons agrees with Harold that the Marlins are loading up on talent like they did in 1998 but this time they aren't getting the bats like they did with Preston Wilson and company. Lots of good pitching.
  • Miguel Cabrera could be on the trade block. Is surely disgrunted that the team is disarming
  • Girardi knew very well that this would be happening. Said he took the job because he can coach these young players and being a skipper is better than being a coach.
  • Yankees want Pierre and the Marlins don't have to ask for anything less than Cano.
  • Now Johnny Damon is the #1 free agent
  • Manny Ramirez won't be in Boston. He will not return and the Sox need to come up with a multi team trade to make it work.
  • Yankees are stuck in the trades because they don't have any prospects or young guys outside of Cano.

Guest Moneyball

Obviously its all speculation, but when it comes from their mouth its usually because somebody around Dallas is talking about it.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, Steve Phillips.

I would trade Dontrelle before Miguel....

Im sure at least 1 of the numerous pitching prospects that we currently have can match Dontrelle's early career numbers, but Miguel Cabrera IS OUR FRANCHISE PLAYER

I'm not sure, obviously under normal conditions both are untouchable, but then Willis pitches you are guaranteed to get people in the stadium.

Without Josh Beckett and AJ Burnett (geez, I still can't believe they let TWO canon arms leave!) it will be suicide to trade Willis. The question is, is suicide in Loria's mind.

Im sure at least 1 of the numerous pitching prospects that we currently have can match Dontrelle's early career numbers, but Miguel Cabrera IS OUR FRANCHISE PLAYER

I'm not sure, obviously under normal conditions both are untouchable, but then Willis pitches you are guaranteed to get people in the stadium.

Without Josh Beckett and AJ Burnett (geez, I still can't believe they let TWO canon arms leave!) it will be suicide to trade Willis. The question is, is suicide in Loria's mind.

The difference....Miguel Cabrera has the potential to play 162 games, Dontrelle has the potential to play in 35...

The difference....Miguel Cabrera has the potential to play 162 games, Dontrelle has the potential to play in 35...

Well I think Kruk said Dontrelle would be playing every game because since we only got pitchers he would be our 3 hole hitter. :lol ... oh wait.. maybe he was serious :o