Outside the Lines: Marlins

Ramp

We saved 14 freaking million in our 1997 firesale?

Also, the notion that our 1997 firesale netted a lot of the 2003 team seems false to me. We got Derrek Lee and...who? AJ Burnett? He was barely even on the 2003 team. We didn't get a whole lot more than that, unless I'm forgetting someone.

I just recently did the research on the firesale, it was actually a complete failure. The only members of our team that came directly from it were Derrek Lee and Braden Looper. That's it.

Sciambi made a good point about the Heat's low attendance until recently. I do think that besides pro and college football, all the other sports have to play second fiddle. It's a football town.

And, in comparison to other major college football programs, the Hurricanes attendance is not good.

Most constant top 15 programs sell out every single game.

Conine looked like he was getting a little emotional... I know I feel like crying... I was preparing myself to see Hammer on the show, but I'm glad it turned out to be Boog. No one knows more about the Marlins in the local media and he has a pretty logical way of looking at everything... "I don't buy the idea that everyone's out windsurfing instead of going to the games," plus pointing out poor attendance at other local sporting events also.

Yeah, Jeff kind of sold us out a little in this thing, but it's not like he wasn't telling the truth. Plus, we're mostly the diehards, a rare breed in this town.

I guarantee that you wouldn't want to play in front of so few fans in a stadium that big. It was weird enough being in the stands with the upper deck closed off due to low attendance, you could hear just about everyone talking individually in the lower level. Almost every player that has left this team has commented about that empty feeling in the stadium.

5000 die hard fans aren't going to keep this team in South Florida, let's face it.

Sciambi made a good point about the Heat's low attendance until recently. I do think that besides pro and college football, all the other sports have to play second fiddle. It's a football town.

And, in comparison to other major college football programs, the Hurricanes attendance is not good.

Yeah, true, but other major college football programs fill probably a quarter of the stadium with current students. Miami fills about 2 sections.

Yeah, Jeff kind of sold us out a little in this thing, but it's not like he wasn't telling the truth. Plus, we're mostly the diehards, a rare breed in this town.

I guarantee that you wouldn't want to play in front of so few fans in a stadium that big. It was weird enough being in the stands with the upper deck closed off due to low attendance, you could hear just about everyone talking individually in the lower level. Almost every player that has left this team has commented about that empty feeling in the stadium.

5000 die hard fans aren't going to keep this team in South Florida, let's face it.

nice to see some of you actually starting to see the truth. the sooner we as in the marlins organization leaves florida the better off this team will be. but yet Loria and company are the bad guys in this. :rolleyes:

You have to take into account the small size of the Hurricanes' campus (4,000 students or so).

Up here in Tallahassee we have 40,000 students, plus a city that only has FSU football as the major attraction each year. Therefore, we have no trouble filling an 80,000+ seat stadium.

Believe me, I'd play anywhere.

And I'd do it for peanuts.