Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best President......

Featured Replies

Write your reasons. I say Thomas Jefferson because he doubled the size of our country, among quite a few other things. The words "Manifest Destiny" come to mind.....

i almost clicked on Thomas Jefferson (big fan of his States' Rights, Jeffersonian ideas)...until I saw Confederate President (the only one, being Jefferson Davis of course). Was he the best president? Maybe not. But I sure like him! And I do think he was a good president.

i almost clicked on Thomas Jefferson (big fan of his States' Rights, Jeffersonian ideas)...until I saw Confederate President (the only one, being Jefferson Davis of course). Was he the best president? Maybe not. But I sure like him! And I do think he was a good president.

I figured someone would mess up like this. Confederate presidents refers to the presidents of the United States after the Revolution but before our Federal Constitution (we had a Confederate form of government at the time).

 

And Garfield is there because he was someone I remembered from the late 1800's. I guess I should have put Millard Filmore as well :D

none of hte men leading this nation from 1883 to 1889 would ever be considered the greatest to ever lead this nation ever.

 

 

there were about 10 in that period i believe.

It wasn't only 7 years, it was a period from 81-89 or 80-89. And none of the presidents (ex: John Jay) would have been good enough, I just wanted to see if anyone knew who they were or if the even existed.

hey Das...you collected ur thoughts on TJ?

he's dodging the question.....

yeah well my thoughts on TJ are in the other topic, where it was originally brought up.

 

 

no way in hell is TJ the best President pre-20th century.

 

 

he didnt even add the most land to this nation...that was Polk.

 

 

you can argue that it was Lincoln because he was able to save the Union, but that is entirely a Northern prospective.

 

 

You can also strongly argue for Washington because he could of been a king, but instead opted for the role given him, also setting up the tradition for two terms for Presidents until FDR destroyed that.

 

Washington had the difficult job of being the first at the job....he also set many precesdences(sp) and traditions....

 

 

Andrew Jackson can be mentioned mainly because he was from the 'west' and it was his campaign that largely ushered in a new form of politics....

 

 

i wish a President from the late 19th century came to mind as being a standout....

 

 

but from Johnson, Grant, Hays, Garfield, Arthur, Cleveland, McKinley, Harrison and I think I am missing one...none stood out...

 

 

Cleveland is the only man to serve two non-consecutive terms....

 

 

But this period really is the 'lost' period in US History.

also setting up the tradition for two terms for Presidents until FDR destroyed that.

And some people thought it was a good thing he was president 4 terms.

  • 9 months later...

Abe Lincoln.

 

Hands down.

 

He lead our country through its most tumultuous times its ever faced. He truly cared, and was very wise. He lead the Union to victory in the Civil War.

 

He was truly the greatest President we've EVER had! The Great Emancipator lives on forever!

the great Emancipator my ass. He was the PRESIDENT OF THE ILLINOIS COLONIZATION SOCIETY! (i.e. the society that pushed to send all blacks to Liberia, Haiti, etc....as long as they weren't with the "superior race in the States"). The Emancipator who could have saved a war, or at least saved lives if he had not supported the Fugitive Slave Act....this act among others (as tonyi mentioned) was leading to the decline in slavery. Border states had already seen a major drop in slavery by 1860, and was spreading southward. The Emancipator who felt war was necessary to forcefully keep states in a union that they had VOLUNTARILY became a part of. This Emancipator, who's own bastard of a Sec. of War (Seward) mocked his great Emancipation Proclamation, saying how he conveniently made it so slavery was legal in certain parts (the Union pretty much had control of Louisiana, northern VA, West Virginia, Maryland, parts of Tennessee, and Kentucky), and in the other parts, it was impossible to enforce.

 

read a previous post of mine, and buy the book, "The Real Lincoln" by Thomas DiLorenzo (you won't read it Phlub...it would prove you wrong).

 

The myth of Abraham Lincoln is much like the myth of Christopher Columbus...made out to be some great hero, when in actuality...he wasnt.

Furman I went out last night and purchased "The Real Lincoln" and I'm about 35 pages into so far.

 

I'll get back to ya when I'm done.

Furman I went out last night and purchased "The Real Lincoln" and I'm about 35 pages into so far.

 

I'll get back to ya when I'm done.

I respect that. Thanks a lot Phlub! :thumbup

 

The point is to at least make you think.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.