Reggie Abercrombie

MarlinYankee3542

He's been too old for his level for a while now. He lit up the Arizona Fall League, which isn't even that impressive anymore.

Pulled from a Baseball America article:

But taking a closer look, the AFL has lost some its luster in recent years. Many of the game's top hitters are still putting the finishing touches on their development in the fall league, but, especially from a pitching perspective, the league seems to be shifting into more of a glorified instructional league than a finishing school.

There is little doubt of the AFL's effectiveness over the years as a stepping-stone to the majors, but as the quality of pitching has diminished, so has the league's impact. Most organizations now use the AFL as a post-season stop for pitchers who need to iron out their mechanics or perhaps missed time due to an injury or surgery. Getting outs and winning games is secondary.

Critics of the league's effectiveness point to the 2004 AFL season, when offensive records were shattered and good pitching was as barren as the outlying desert.

Although the league has always been known as a hitter's haven, 2004 bordered on ridiculous. Teams combined for an average of 12.07 runs per game; the league batting average was .292 and the overall league ERA was 5.32--all record-setting marks.

It seemed like every roster was peppered with good hitters, but pitching staffs boasted few prospects, or organizations were so cautious with the amount of use their top arms received in the league, that the league turned into a six-week batting practice session.

This season was even more unbalanced. Angels shortstop Brandon Wood broke the league record for homers, and the league ERA set a new record (5.40); the Peoria Saguaros team ERA was 6.90.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope Reggie wins the CF job in spring I really want to see what this kid could do up in the majors... Just like I wanted to get dillon in there for a full season but those wishes were crushed when he was sent to Japan for cash.

So I guess I could settle for having Reggie out there heh... :D

HE's bounced around to a couple of organizations already. I saw him at Jupiter last year and he looked above the talent level of the FSL. I would like to see him spend the first half of this year in AAA and see if he continues to produce and then see if he's Show ready.

Id rather see him hit AA well again, then see him torch in AAA

HE's bounced around to a couple of organizations already. I saw him at Jupiter last year and he looked above the talent level of the FSL. I would like to see him spend the first half of this year in AAA and see if he continues to produce and then see if he's Show ready.

Id rather see him hit AA well again, then see him torch in AAA

yea, hitting in high altitude can be misleading, it would be more conclusive to see him hit in Carolina which is more down to sea- level