Dontrelle Facts

FL Marlins CA

Hello everyone, I was wondering if you guys could post up some Dontrelle Willis Facts...

I'm doing a Power Point Presentation and just wanted to add some more tid bits

I'm gonna talk about:

History/Bio

Awards

Memorable Moments

Community Work

The last one is what I need the most help on...and I guess his early years also. Thanks! :thumbup

Dontrelle's middle name is Wayne. He attended Encinal High School in Alameda, California, where he played baseball for four years. He bats and throws left handed, and he is considered one of the best hitting pitchers in the majors.

On March 27, 2002, the Chicago Cubs traded Willis (then a minor leaguer) and fellow pitchers Juli?n Tavarez and Jos? Cueto, and catcher Ryan Jorgensen to the Florida Marlins, in exchange for pitchers Matt Clement and Antonio Alfonseca.

In 2003, Willis was named the National League Rookie of the Year. He went 14-6 with a 3.30 ERA in 27 starts.

National League Rookie of the Year, 2003

National League All-Star, 2003 and 2005

Runner-Up, National League Cy Young Award 2005 (Won by Chris Carpenter)

On September 3, 2005, Willis beat the New York Mets, to earn his 19th win of the season. With that win, Willis passed Carl Pavano's franchise record for wins in a season, established the previous year, when Pavano won 18 games.

On September 8, 2005, Willis became the first Marlin ever to win 20 games in a season with a 12-1 defeat of the Washington Nationals. He became just the 12th African American pitcher to win 20 games in a season, joining the "Black Aces", a club that also includes one Black Canadian in Ferguson Jenkins. He was also the first African American pitcher to win 20 games since Dave Stewart won 22 in 1990.

In 2005, he became the third player in modern baseball history to win 20 games and collect 20 hits in the same season.

On September 22, 2005, he batted seventh in the Marlins' lineup. No other pitcher had batted seventh since the Montreal Expos' Steve Renko batted seventh against the San Diego Padres on August 26, 1973.

Warren Spahn Award, 2005 (presented to the best left-handed starting pitcher in the league)

He is the frickin' man.

David Sampson will trade him nest season.

And Dontrelle spelled backwards is "el Lertnod". Which means "Mets suck c**k" in spanish.

I just found out Dontrelle Willis is engaged to my former FAVORITE bartender from Ale House of all places. True story. If you want to know which Ale House and which bartender let me know. Crazy, small world. This bartender was FREAKIN beautifu BTWl. Wow. A 10. I was lucky enough to meet D train a couple of times early in his career because he used to come in all the time. I guess thats how he met her, obviously.