Report: A-Rod says he'll sit out WBC

MrAndMrsFish

Is Alex Rodriguez going to play for the Dominican Republic or the United States in the World Baseball Classic? Apparently neither.

"After thoughtful deliberations with my family, I am announcing my decision to withdraw from the World Baseball Classic," Rodriguez told The New York Post for Friday's editions. "When faced with the decision to choose between my country, the United States of America and my Dominican heritage, I decided I will not dishonor either."

When the commissioner's office and the players' association announced commitments from players last week, Rodriguez's country was left blank. The New York Yankees third baseman, who last month won his second AL MVP award, was born in New York but his parents are Dominican.

"I am proud to be an American citizen and to have a Dominican legacy. My commitment to baseball is secondary to honoring my patriotic duties to my country and my ancestors," Rodriguez told The Post.

"Sports participation should only include the admiration and respect an athlete has for a nation and family. I intend to play baseball only when I am dedicated to both.

"Playing baseball for the New York Yankees allows you to honor and advance the interest of both without division."

Earlier this week, Rodriguez said he was leaning toward playing for the Dominican Republic.

"That seems to be pretty much where I'm leaning," Rodriguez said of the Dominican team during an interview Tuesday on WFAN radio. "I think it's going to be the team I'm going to represent, kind of like what [Mike] Piazza's doing with Italy."

The Post reported that Rodriguez's decision wasn't influenced by the Yankees, even though they already have told one player -- Jorge Posada -- this offseason that he can't play in the Classic.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

LINK

If he played for the US the dominicans are pissed and if he plays for the dominican team he gets ripped a new one by the americans -- Its a no win situation, and everyone here with half a brain knows that. Go ahead and bash A-Rod, I know, its the easy thing to do. Enjoy being common.

Look, I could care less about the WBC, but ARod started this whole controversy by saying that he identifies more with the Dominican team.

It is kind of childish to start a fire and then walk away from it, or, in this case, say something semi-controversial yet not believe in it enough to stand up for your beliefs.

Look, I could care less about the WBC, but ARod started this whole controversy by saying that he identifies more with the Dominican team.

It is kind of childish to start a fire and then walk away from it, or, in this case, say something semi-controversial yet not believe in it enough to stand up for your beliefs.

He said he was going to play for the Dominicans, he then proceeded to get blasted for it. He doesn't have to take that kind of crap for an exhibition game. Standing up for your beliefs? We are talking about an exhibition baseball tournament TSwift, come back to reality. This is not a big deal, this is not something any player needs controversy over.

If he had picked a side to play on, he'd be getting railroaded for the length of the tourney - that's the reality of it. He doesn't need to deal with that.

I'd understand if this was something political or otherwise important, and he backed down from his beliefs - But does anyone need to take a beatdown for 2 weeks over which team he is playing on for an exhibition baseball tournament in which he is not under contractual obligation? Come on. Stop bashing just to bash.

I'm not bashing just to bash, I even started the post out by saying I could care less about the WBC.

I just think it's detestable that a person who loves being in the spot-light as much as ARod does backs down when the going gets tough. If he's going to take a controversial stance like he did, which he has every right to do, he should at least stand up for his beliefs. It's a slap in the face to everyone, and a spineless position from a person who very badly wants to be a "role model."

I personally think ARod should have played for the US team, but I would have respected him if he played for the DR team, it's his choice, he's entitled to it. I now, however, have no respect for him.

You want him to go through 3 weeks of crap over a FREAKIN' EXHIBITION BASEBALL TOURNAMENT that no one in their right mind gives a sh*t about!

Stop making this a major immoral decision that A-Rod made. This tournament means NOTHING. Would I have liked to see him play? Sure. Would I like to see him have a 3 week long controversy 2 weeks before the regular season? Hell no.

I'm sorry for you, I really am, you obviously consider the "World Baseball Classic" a much bigger deal than you EVER should. It is not something anyone should have to go through controversy over. It means nothing, it never will mean anything. This is not something worth having controversy over - I'm sorry if you think it is (BTW, I did catch your "I dont care about the WBC; Obviously you do).

Some things just aren't worth fighting over. This is one of them, stop making it a bigger deal than it is.

So I'm not entitled to an opinion?

I'm sorry that you are the one making a bigger deal than it is, not me. If anyone, ARod brought this controversy that you are so fearful of on himself. If he doesn't open his mouth and make this into a big public issue, no one cares. Piazza's playing for Italy, that's a massive joke, but you know what, Piazza did it the right way, he just said "I'm playing for Italy."

ARod really is pathetic, and I feel bad for you that you feel the need to blindly defend a player because they play for your favorite team. I don't care for Jeter, but at least he carries himself with class, same can't be said for ARod. At least pick the guys that you feel the need to stand up for when a bone-headed decision is made, because I really don't think ARod is one of them...

Guest Moneyball

The WBC may not mean much now but I guarantee in 10-15 years it's going to be bigger than the World Series.

I guess Adrian Beltre plays third now.

I'd prefer Aramis Ramirez.

the only hope the Dominican team would've had was A Rod...

IMO A Rod should've played for the DOmincan team because they need him more...the US has David Wright, Eric Chavez, and Chipper Jones...the only 3B on the Dominican team are Adrian Beltre and the worthless one, Pedro Feliz

:lol

AROD not playing just makes this the DR being somewhat unstoppable instead of completely unstoppable. The DR will not lose a single game Pedro pitches, and the others good luck to whoever faces them.