Riley tells ESPN he probably won't coach next season

Accord

PHOENIX (AP) - Miami Heat coach Pat Riley told ESPN on Friday night that he probably won't coach next season, though he brushed aside the significance of his comments.

"There's a possibility of that,'' he said when asked about it after his team's 111-93 loss to the Phoenix Suns.

He insisted the statement wasn't new.

"I said that already before,'' Riley said. "Of course they (ESPN) made big deal of it. That's what they do. But it's the same thing I've told to my beat writers.''

When the Miami writers shrugged and said they'd never heard him say it, Riley said, "Well, I said it to somebody.''

ESPN's Jim Gray said Riley told him "I doubt I will coach after this year. I came back because I had an obligation and responsibility to this organization. I put this team together. I would never say never - I'm not closing the door - but I really doubt I will come back next year.''

According to ESPN, Riley cited the travel as a major reason he might not come back.

Riley, the Heat president, took over coaching duties after Stan Van Gundy resigned on Dec. 12.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/bask...eat.riley.0202/

I'm trying to be optimistic but it's getting later on in the season and things are getting worse rather than improving. I thought maybe Riley could light a fire under their asses but they're still not consistent and health is no excuse right now. It's pretty frustrating and disappointing thus far but there's still a long way to go, thank god.

As long as Flash is on the team, I don't see how they won't be contenders. And please don't cite Kobe-LA, because Wade is ten time less selfish.

/POINT

As long as we have Wade I am happy.

Think of it this way, eveytime we win we are that much closer to making the playoffs and making a run at a championship.

Everytime we lose we better our draft pick and our chances of getting a young stud to build around Wade.

As long as Flash is on the team, I don't see how they won't be contenders. And please don't cite Kobe-LA, because Wade is ten time less selfish.

/POINT

Think of it this way, eveytime we win we are that much closer to making the playoffs and making a run at a championship.

Everytime we lose we better our draft pick and our chances of getting a young stud to build around Wade.

This season is essentially a throwaway because the Pistons will win the NBA Championship.

/POINT

This season is essentially a throwaway because the Pistons will win the NBA Championship.

i think some team in san antonio will have a little something to say about that.

And regarding the heat....

Should never have signed Walker. He has brought down every team he has ever played for, with the exception of Boston to an extent, but its hard for that franchise to be brought down further.

Spurs upgraded off the bench with Finley at SG/SF and Oberto at C, though they haven't really done much all season. Detroit's biggest move was signing Dale Davis.

True.

Mostly because they dont care right now.

Spurs will kick it into gear sometiem in the next 4-6 weeks, like they do every year.