Will Hermida Roam in Right?

Guest Juanky

Guest Juanky

Is Jeremy Hermida going to start in left field or right?

-- Ryan F., Schenectady, N.Y.

Since being drafted as a first-round pick in 2002, Hermida has been groomed as a right fielder. With his good speed, he can play all three outfield positions, but right field is his natural position. Regarded for years as the franchise's best prospect, Hermida has a strong arm and he covers a lot of ground. Given some starts at the end of the 2005 season, Hermida showed good range flagging down balls hit into the gaps at spacious Dolphins Stadium.

With Juan Encarnacion anchoring the position over the past few seasons, the Marlins became used to solid and sometimes spectacular play in right field, and Hermida should fill in nicely for Encarnacion, who signed as a free agent with the Cardinals.

How do you see Pokey Reese helping the team?

-- Roger B., Jacksonville, Fla.

Defensively, signing Reese helps ease the loss of three-time Gold Glove winner Luis Castillo, but, offensively, Reese isn't the same type of player as Castillo. But having the slick-fielding veteran will certainly help give rookie shortstop Hanley Ramirez a seasoned double-play partner.

Reese should provide leadership, and he knows what it takes to win, having been on the Red Sox's 2004 World Series championship team. How effective Reese is, at least early, will be interesting to watch, because a right shoulder injury caused him to miss the 2005 season. As of now, Reese's backup is shaping up to be Dan Uggla, a Rule 5 Draft pick. Uggla doesn't have Reese's defensive skills, but he is considered a promising hitter with power. Manager Joe Girardi will have some options at second base with an offensive threat in Uggla and a defensive standout in Reese.

What are the scouting reports on some of the young arms the Marlins acquired, like Renyel Pinto, Scott Tyler and Ricky Nolasco? And will the Marlins trade for more like them?

-- Nate C., Milford, Conn.

Of these three, Nolasco is the closest to being Major League-ready. The right-hander has pitched as high as Triple-A in the Cubs system in 2004. And last year at Double-A West Tennessee, he went 14-3 with a 2.89 ERA in 27 starts. He's got a good curveball and solid fastball, and he will most likely open the season at Triple-A Albuquerque.

Pinto is a tall left-hander who reminds some scouts of Marlins pitcher Scott Olsen. A Venezuelan native, Pinto probably needs a full season in the Minor Leagues.

Acquired in the trade with Minnesota for Castillo, Tyler stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 220 pounds. He is a starting pitching prospect who projects to open the season at Double-A Carolina. At Class A Fort Myers last season, he went 7-8 with a 3.95 ERA with 109 strikeouts and 48 walks in 118 1/3 innings.

As for trading for more young pitchers, that's certainly possible, considering how the organization puts a premium on compiling pitching. Essentially, what these offseason moves have done is restock the Minor League system with pitching at all levels. The past few seasons, the team dealt away several young arms to acquire players like Jeff Conine, Mark Redman and Ugueth Urbina. Last year, the Marlins were thin at pitching at their Triple-A level. Now, there should be plenty of strong arms coming up through the system, in addition to the pitchers recently acquired.

Why didn't the Marlins trade players like Carlos Delgado for high draft picks?

-- Bill S., Miami

Unlike the NFL or NBA, Major League Baseball doesn't have a system of trading draft picks. Teams can obtain draft choices from other clubs as compensation for losing free agents. This past season, the Marlins tendered arbitration to pitcher A.J. Burnett, who signed a five-year, $55-million contract with the Blue Jays. For losing Burnett's services and because he was tendered arbitration, the Marlins are getting draft compensation.

However, they couldn't ask for, say, the Mets' first-round pick for Delgado. The system isn't set up that way. As history has shown, high draft picks in baseball are not guaranteed to make an impact or even reach the big-league level. So often we see that players highly touted on draft day don't make it for various reasons.

What is the current status on the Marlins getting a new stadium? What are the chances of the team staying here in South Florida?

-- Ricardo G., Miami

This issue remains the hottest e-mail topic I receive. On Monday, team officials are visiting Portland, Ore. In early December, the Marlins made a trip to San Antonio, Texas. Seven cities, along with South Florida, have shown interest in the Marlins. The team is announcing one trip at a time. Talks with Miami-Dade County officials are moving at a slow pace. To remain in South Florida, the Marlins maintain a retractable-roof stadium is needed. Their best shot at staying is to come up with the financing to get a stadium done next to Dolphins Stadium.

Is there any chance the Marlins could sign Sammy Sosa?

-- Thomas F., Miami Lakes, Fla.

The prospect of adding a declining slugger like Sosa could be tempting, but from what I've gathered, he doesn't seem to be a high priority. Sosa's production may have dropped off so much that he isn't worth the risk. And since the team is going to be quite young, anyway, there is a school of thought that says giving an opportunity to a promising prospect rather than an aging veteran is the way to go.

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Source

Guest Moneyball

Why didn't the Marlins trade players like Carlos Delgado for high draft picks?

LOL still trying to school ole south florida about baseball? Or did he make an article for a sake of making an article.

You can't trade draft picks in MLB.

I'm not sure what's more depressing. Pokey Reese as Hanley Ramirez' DP partner or our best bet for a new stadium hinging on the whim of Wayne Huizenga. :banghead

Pokey won't be the worst starting 2B in the league...In fact, I'd put him about average compared to others.

I'm not sure what's more depressing. Pokey Reese as Hanley Ramirez' DP partner or our best bet for a new stadium hinging on the whim of Wayne Huizenga. :banghead

Pokey won't be the worst starting 2B in the league...In fact, I'd put him about average compared to others.

My comment was really about the lack of offensive contribution we can expect from the middle of the infield. You're pretty much talking about two automatic outs in an inning if they hit in the same part of the lineup. It's like only playing six innings and letting the competition play nine. They'll probably hit seventh and eight and then you have the pitcher batting. I'm sure you get the picture.

haha. no way. pokey will be lucky to break the 600ops mark.

My comment was really about the lack of offensive contribution we can expect from the middle of the infield. You're pretty much talking about two automatic outs in an inning if they hit in the same part of the lineup. It's like only playing six innings and letting the competition play nine. They'll probably hit seventh and eight and then you have the pitcher batting. I'm sure you get the picture.

The way we suffered with Alex and Mikey last season, It will not be a new experience

haha. no way. pokey will be lucky to break the 600ops mark.

I was talking about defense, in response to the 'DP' remark.