Russell Branyan?

rferry

He was designated for assignment and waived by the Brewers for what appears as the purpose of releasing him. He signed earlier this year to a nonguaranteed contract just shy of a million so he'd be pretty cheap to acquire.

I'm not a huge fan of his game, but he's offensive machine when it comes to facing righthanders. The Brewers had one of the best thirdbase tandems in the majors by platooning Branyan and Helms last year. He's played leftfield many times before. His acquisition would offer us a whole lot of options. Our best being, IMO,:

C: Willingham vs RHP / Olivo vs LHP

1B: Jacobs vs RHP / Helms vs LHP

3B: Cabrera

2B/SS: Reese / Uggla / Ramirez / Amezega

LF: Branyan vs RHP / Willingham vs LHP

CF: Aguila

RF: Hermida

Guest markotsay7

First off, you have 12 players listed there, meaning that, if we go with an 12 man pitching staff, we have room for 1 bench player, and the others platoon. I'm not sure I like that, especially when there aren't any backup OFers.

But back to the point, I would never give Branyan a guaranteed contract, I'd consider a minor league contract with an invite. The guy's all or nothing, he had 52 hits last year and 23 were for extra bases, 23 of 37 the year before, 21 of 38, etc. Last year was the first time he ever hit over .250. He does, however, get on base, since he's such a power threat...his career OBP at .327 is nearly 100 points higher than his career batting average. So I'm not sure. I could go either way...he might be nice to have pinch hitting but I wouldn't want him starting. While he was a monster against righties last year, he's still under .250 against righties over the last 3 years against them, but again, with a .366 OBP. I don't know, I kinda view him like I saw Rob Stratton a few years back. I think I'd like him off the bench to PH vs. RHP, but other than that I'd say no.

And yes, this post was confusing, because it followed my thought process.

The guy would be a welcome addition aslong as it's a deal worth less than 750K, with us he'll be a reserve at best, since Cabrera and Jacobs seem to be locks at their positions Cabrera (3rd base), and Jacobs (1st), their is no space for Branyan, although the guy has tremendous power, I doubt he'd want to be coming off the bench all year.

If you really think about it we don't need him, we are better off developing our own, he brings nothing to the table, we need guys that can influence our young, and their is clearly no space for him at this time. We are better off signing someone with that money that we might be able to trade at the deadline if we are out of it like most predict.

I disagree in getting someone like Branyan, although unlike others on the board I would say he would fit into the Marlins price scheme. I think they need some sort of player that can play CF or another middle infielder before another corner player. Helms is essentially Branyan to this team. If we are ignoring trading for Gathright or other younger players, and the idea is to find more cheap fixes, I believe Willie Harris would come for playing time, and so would Terrance Long or Jeff Davanon.

This is what I would imagine for a depth chart

C: Willingham / Olivo

1B: Jacobs / Helms / Willingham

2B: Harris / Pokey / Uggla / Amezaga

SS: Pokey / Hanley / Amezaga

3B: Cabrera / Helms / Uggla

LF: Aguila / Willingham / [Long/Davanon]

CF: [Long/Davanon] / Harris / Aguila

RF: Hermida / [Long/Davanon] / Aguila

Most typical lineup. Notice all of it alternates.

Harris L

Willingham R

Hermida L

Cabrera R

Jacobs L

Aguila R

Long/Davanon L or Switch

Pokey or Hanley R

Harris isn't amazing, but the last two seasons he has averaged about a .340 OBP and has speed. Atleast he would be a semblance of a real leadoff hitter, and be able to play 2B/CF, the two biggest weaknesses on the team. With another middle infielder, you put less pressure on Hanley to play right away also, and you can throw Andino into Double AA to learn 2B.

Long/Davanon do good things also. They for one, take Eric Reed or Abercrombie out of the OF equation, which makes me very happy. Two, they are both competant MLB players at a minimum and create competition/backup for Aguila, Willingham, and Hermida if they go through prolonged rookie struggles. I think both these guys are solid platoon OF. Don't think that I believe them to be solid starters. Creating depth and getting experience is a big plus. They have no outfielder that has ever played MLB for more then 150 AB.

I like Harris a lot, but we have Reese, Uggla, Amazega or however you spell his name, Ramirez, Andino and others for our middle infield spots.

Ideally, picking up a young perennial all-star centerfielder (and I'm NOT talking about Gathright here) would be best for the future. If we can't, a young CF with quality potential if he comes cheap would also be nice. And if that fails, I'd rather have Aguila in CF and a player who can help us right now in LF. Branyan fits the third scenario. Gathright doesn't fit any. Davanon, even on the wrong side of 30, might.

I just remember that HR he hit against us, was it last year or 2 years ago? Anyway, dead center atleast 550 ft. Longest HR I've ever seen before.

did u miss galaraggas 1800ft blast off kevin brown that went over the jackie robinson logo in the upper deck to left.

i THINK it was estimated 578ft and it proabablly is one of the top 10 furthest HRs in baseball history.

I disagree in getting someone like Branyan, although unlike others on the board I would say he would fit into the Marlins price scheme. I think they need some sort of player that can play CF or another middle infielder before another corner player. Helms is essentially Branyan to this team. If we are ignoring trading for Gathright or other younger players, and the idea is to find more cheap fixes, I believe Willie Harris would come for playing time, and so would Terrance Long or Jeff Davanon.

This is what I would imagine for a depth chart

C: Willingham / Olivo

1B: Jacobs / Helms / Willingham

2B: Harris / Pokey / Uggla / Amezaga

SS: Pokey / Hanley / Amezaga

3B: Cabrera / Helms / Uggla

LF: Aguila / Willingham / [Long/Davanon]

CF: [Long/Davanon] / Harris / Aguila

RF: Hermida / [Long/Davanon] / Aguila

Most typical lineup. Notice all of it alternates.

Harris L

Willingham R

Hermida L

Cabrera R

Jacobs L

Aguila R

Long/Davanon L or Switch

Pokey or Hanley R

Harris isn't amazing, but the last two seasons he has averaged about a .340 OBP and has speed. Atleast he would be a semblance of a real leadoff hitter, and be able to play 2B/CF, the two biggest weaknesses on the team. With another middle infielder, you put less pressure on Hanley to play right away also, and you can throw Andino into Double AA to learn 2B.

Long/Davanon do good things also. They for one, take Eric Reed or Abercrombie out of the OF equation, which makes me very happy. Two, they are both competant MLB players at a minimum and create competition/backup for Aguila, Willingham, and Hermida if they go through prolonged rookie struggles. I think both these guys are solid platoon OF. Don't think that I believe them to be solid starters. Creating depth and getting experience is a big plus. They have no outfielder that has ever played MLB for more then 150 AB.

WE DONT HAVE WILLIE HARRIS, TERRANCE LONG OR JEFF DAVANNON?

I like Harris a lot, but we have Reese, Uggla, Amazega or however you spell his name, Ramirez, Andino and others for our middle infield spots.

Ideally, picking up a young perennial all-star centerfielder (and I'm NOT talking about Gathright here) would be best for the future. If we can't, a young CF with quality potential if he comes cheap would also be nice. And if that fails, I'd rather have Aguila in CF and a player who can help us right now in LF. Branyan fits the third scenario. Gathright doesn't fit any. Davanon, even on the wrong side of 30, might.

Who are the others for middle infield spots? And Harris is better then all of them. Can't just assume any of the guy we have can actually play. Pokey has been out for a year, Amezaga has been horrible when he has played, and Uggla, Hanley, and Andino have basically 0 experience. Harris would be cheap, can play right now, and can play the outfield. It's a perfect fit. He wants playing time to prove himself a starter. Marlins can easily accomodate 450 AB for him.

If there is 1 thing the Marlins don't need, it's corner players. They need help up the middle. Branyan makes no sense for the ballclub since they acquired Helms

WE DONT HAVE WILLIE HARRIS, TERRANCE LONG OR JEFF DAVANNON?

Maybe you missed the entire speculation theme of this thread.

I still really wish we would have signed D'Angelo Jimenez.. would have been the perfect fit. Was hurt all last year but the year before was one of the better offensive 2B in baseball (stats not skewed by GAB either).. would have solved our leadoff problems (nice OBP) and would have come cheap... Texas signed him to a minor league deal for chrissakes.

I agree with you about Harris (and with Iowa, on Jimenez).

However we have some movable parts that would allow us to add a corner player if deemed he'd help the club in more ways than a middle of the field player. I know I'd certainly want Branyan in LF and Aguila in CF than Aguila in LF and some guy who couldn't hit his weight in CF.

I still really wish we would have signed D'Angelo Jimenez.. would have been the perfect fit. Was hurt all last year but the year before was one of the better offensive 2B in baseball (stats not skewed by GAB either).. would have solved our leadoff problems (nice OBP) and would have come cheap... Texas signed him to a minor league deal for chrissakes.

Iowa, Jimenez wasn't hurt at all last year.

He was in AA.

:plain

Iowa, Jimenez wasn't hurt at all last year.

He was in AA.

:plain

Wow.. I just figured he was hurt. Why on earth was he in AA? Seemed to have a good year in '04.. were there some character issues or something?

Yes. Character issues.

Surprise! Jimenez not really done with Reds

By John Fay

Enquirer staff writer

Ryan Freel didn't know D'Angelo Jimenez was still going to be part of the Reds' organization when he said what he said on Sporting News Radio Thursday.

"I don't have anything good to say about the guy to be personally honest with you. He is a cancer in every single clubhouse that he goes to," Freel said.

But Jimenez accepted an outright assignment to Double-A Chattanooga Thursday - six days after the Reds designated him for assignment. Nearly everyone thought it was the end of Jimenez's Reds career, including Reds general manager Dan O'Brien.

"It was unexpected," O'Brien said. "Give him credit, he accepted the reality and is trying to make the best of it."

But given the way his teammates feel about him, it would be a huge upset if Jimenez played for the Reds again. Freel has stronger feelings about Jimenez than others - the two got into a fight last year at the team party - but Jimenez was not popular with the coaching staff or his teammates.

So why did the Reds allow him to remain in the organization? Because they had to.

"When you have an individual in his circumstance, in terms of putting together all the scenarios that could unfold, we felt like it was important that we make his contract available via the waiver process," O'Brien said. "By virtue of making that decision, there then is an administrative rule that should he clear waivers, as a choice, he can elect free agency or he can accept the assignment."

Jimenez had until today to report to Chattanooga. He was there by 2 p.m. Thursday, taking grounders at shortstop.

"We had a meeting with him," player development director Tim Naehring said. "He understands what we expect."