Latest news from San Antonio

fanfish

Baseball: Wolff receives update on Marlins

Web Posted: 03/22/2006 12:00 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

County Judge Nelson Wolff said Tuesday he spoke briefly with Florida Marlins president David Samson about the team's relocation plans.

The Marlins are awaiting word from Major League Baseball about whether they can hold serious relocation negotiations with Bexar County, which has told the team it would pay two-thirds of the cost for a $300million stadium.

"They said they are working away on their part, and I said we are working away on our part," Wolff said. "We'll see if it will come together."

Major League Baseball is doing an analysis of the viability of the San Antonio market.

"There are several pieces of the puzzle the Marlins are working on that they need to put together to show baseball that it will work here," Wolff said. "I just don't know how long it will take for them to do the analysis."

The Marlins say they prefer to stay in South Florida, but negotiations for a new stadium have stalled there.

- Tom Orsborn

Guest Festa

The Marlins say they prefer to stay in South Florida, but negotiations for a new stadium have stalled there.

:lol

This line has been circulating for weeks.

It will be interesting to see who is the pawn here. There are really at this point only two realistic places the Marlins can go; San Antonio and Hialeah. It will be very interesting if the Marlins are using the San Antonio site to gain leverage in Hialeah or if they are using the Hialeah site to gain leverage in San Antonio. I get the feeling though that we have seen the final offer from San Antonio.

If I had to choose one scenario here, I think the Marlins are going to go to Hialeah but not before they get a better deal than the San Antonio offer.

I get the feeling though that we have seen the final offer from San Antonio.

No! Everything is at a stand still, I'll admit, until the results are known if SA is a viable market. However, in the event SA is MLB viable markets, then the offer bidding war hasn't even begun. :o

No! Everything is at a stand still, I'll admit, until the results are known if SA is a viable market. However, in the event SA is MLB viable markets, then the offer bidding war hasn't even begun. :o

I see by your name where your loyalties are, I just dont see the San Antonio Deal going through. Call it Blind Faith or what have you. I think also something that we are not taking into condsideration is the fact that I am not so sure that MLB will allow two National league teams to be so close. The trip from Houston to San Antonio can be made on highway 90 in less 2 hrs 45 min. I know, I know........There are shorter distances in between National league cities. New york and Philly is the shortest by far with Only 97 miles seperating them. The exception here is that those cities are so much different from each other. Its almost like two different worlds. With San Antonio and Houston, they are all that one "Everything is bigger in Texas" Mentality. You can argue with this till you are blue in the face but I have spent extensive time in all four cities mentioned above and you won't convince me otherwise. I just feel that a team in San Antonio will struggle to find an identity enough to crawl out from the Astros shadow. Just my take.

If the City of Hialeah rumors are true, I think for SA to lure the Marlins they must blow the South Florida offer out of the water. MLB won't approve a move unless there is significant more money and benefits in SA

The viability of MLB in San Antonio in our mind is completely unrelated to their stadium negotiations with the Marlins. It is MLB and the Marlins', whom know the South Florida market as is and have explored other markets, thoughts on the market that count. And if the Marlins come back with a counter offer, there is no chance Bexar will say 'no'. They'll say yes to that, no to that and maybe to that.

The viability of MLB in San Antonio in our mind is completely unrelated to their stadium negotiations with the Marlins. It is MLB and the Marlins', whom know the South Florida market as is and have explored other markets, thoughts on the market that count. And if the Marlins come back with a counter offer, there is no chance Bexar will say 'no'. They'll say yes to that, no to that and maybe to that.

i dont get it...your post seems a bit vague to me...can you explain

True! But in my mind SA being a MLB viable market should/does play a role. Yes, we would like the Marlins. But, SA isn't limited to just the Marlins. SA SPURS have/or are going to contact the Twins/A's/, and I forget what other team. My point is if the Marlins want all the "Bell & Whistles", other interested teams may not? In other words SA can now perphaps have some leverage?

Just speculation, no exact science applied.

I see by your name where your loyalties are

Without elaboring, born in West Palm beach, raised in SA, educated in FL (Nova University). I have been to serveral Marlins game while I lived in Florida. Yes, I will admit I like to see the Marlins in SA. I'm a Texan/Floridian, still own property in Palm Beach Gardens, but spend most of my time in Texas.

It is in response to knglover who supposes that San Antonio will be rejected as a MLB candidate, and therefore not have any of their offers considered. I think it's a bit too unfair to suggest San Antonio is not a MLB market given everything that we know. And it's certainly unfair to assume the Marlins and MLB share our conclusions.

It will be interesting to see who is the pawn here. There are really at this point only two realistic places the Marlins can go; San Antonio and Hialeah. It will be very interesting if the Marlins are using the San Antonio site to gain leverage in Hialeah or if they are using the Hialeah site to gain leverage in San Antonio. I get the feeling though that we have seen the final offer from San Antonio.

If I had to choose one scenario here, I think the Marlins are going to go to Hialeah but not before they get a better deal than the San Antonio offer.

They have made one offer.

And now its the final offer after one offer.

Laughable.

It is in response to knglover who supposes that San Antonio will be rejected as a MLB candidate, and therefore not have any of their offers considered. I think it's a bit too unfair to suggest San Antonio is not a MLB market given everything that we know. And it's certainly unfair to assume the Marlins and MLB share our conclusions.

No, I think you didn't read my post right. What I said was I don't think that MLB will allow a NL team to be so close to Houston. I think there will be a team in San Antonio by 2015 but they will be an AL team, probably oakland or minn.

QUOTE(knglover @ Mar 22 2006, 8:20 AM)

Laughable.

What I dont think you or most people understand is that San Antonio is in a seat with all the Marbles. they know that all they have to do is probably beat the offer from S. Fla. and if they can't, then they go after minn. or Oakland. I may be wrong but dont insult me. There is no reason for it.

No, I think you didn't read my post right. What I said was I don't think that MLB will allow a NL team to be so close to Houston. I think there will be a team in San Antonio by 2015 but they will be an AL team, probably oakland or minn.

I don't see why proximity to Houston would be an issue, considering how very far apart the two markets are.

Also, considering that there are 16 teams in the NL, compared to 14 in the AL, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to move one franchise between leagues.

That said, I think there's very little chance of seeing an MLB team in SA by 2015. That market: 1) is tiny, and 2) already has a major sports franchise. Color me a skeptic, but I just don't take them seriously.

Your thoughts are good ones knglover, and well written. Not everybody takes the time to READ all the posts in a thread before commenting. Too bad, it would save us all some time. And I understand what you mean when you say San Antonio's final offer. It's not that another offer isn't waiting....of course one would assume that the first offer is not the best or last offer. I believe what you're saying is that you feel the Hialeah situation will come to fruition BEFORE another offer from San Antonio. I don't agree with you, but that's your opinion. I think the Hialeah situation will be drawn out. If MLB finds SA viable, then things will move quicker there. We shall see.

QUOTE(knglover @ Mar 22 2006, 8:20 AM)

Laughable.

What I dont think you or most people understand is that San Antonio is in a seat with all the Marbles. they know that all they have to do is probably beat the offer from S. Fla. and if they can't, then they go after minn. or Oakland. I may be wrong but dont insult me. There is no reason for it.

well considering i have a good idea of how san antonio politics work, you know living there and all....

i can pretty much tell you that this wouldnt be the final offer, well unless the marlins accepted it which I doubt they would.

Your thoughts are good ones knglover, and well written. Not everybody takes the time to READ all the posts in a thread before commenting. Too bad, it would save us all some time. And I understand what you mean when you say San Antonio's final offer. It's not that another offer isn't waiting....of course one would assume that the first offer is not the best or last offer. I believe what you're saying is that you feel the Hialeah situation will come to fruition BEFORE another offer from San Antonio. I don't agree with you, but that's your opinion. I think the Hialeah situation will be drawn out. If MLB finds SA viable, then things will move quicker there. We shall see.

Ok. Enlighten me. Because I still dont get it.

What's so unfair about it? We can be wrong about the viability of MLB in SA and about whether the Marlins and MLB agree with us about it, but unfair is the wrong word.

Das....I believe his thought is that things will proceed in Hialeah quickly.....and that San Antonio will never get the chance to make a second offer.

Hope this is right. :thumbup

Das....I believe his thought is that things will proceed in Hialeah quickly.....and that San Antonio will never get the chance to make a second offer.

thats if you read into assumptions into that post.

its not like the hialeah offer is a new one. but if the seriousness of san antonio actually gets people off their asses in south florida than so be it.

What happened to those talks with Heizenga?

Huizenga was involved. He never relented the leverage he had over the Marlins. It's doubtful he was serious about a deal as he attempted to paint the Marlins as bad guys for not accepting his "great" offer in the press as negotiations were ongoing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.