Jump to content

Miami's Diaz skipping senior season, will enter NBA draft


MrAndMrsFish
 Share

Recommended Posts

CORAL GABLES, Fla. ? (AP) ? Miami guard Guillermo Diaz is skipping his senior season and entering the NBA draft.

 

Diaz, a two-time second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection, signed Wednesday with Miami-based agent Jason Levien ? meaning he cannot change his mind and return for his

final year with the Hurricanes.

 

The 6-foot-2 native of Puerto Rico, where he was a standout volleyball player before learning basketball only a few years ago, was Miami's leading scorer in each of the past two seasons. Diaz averaged 17.2 points per game this year and finished with 1,477 points in 93 games ? the 10th-highest total in Miami history.

 

Diaz also set a school record this season by playing 1,196 minutes, plus had career-highs in 3-point goals made (78) and assists (97).

 

"I want to thank the University of Miami ? its students, faculty and fans ? for all of their support these past three years,'' Diaz said in a statement. "I would like to acknowledge coach Frank Haith, all the coaches, and my teammates for their support, guidance and friendship. Coach Haith is a special person, and he has helped me to improve as a basketball player and to mature as a man.''

 

If selected in the draft, Diaz ? who has a 40-inch vertical leap and is projected as a late first-round choice

in some mock drafts ? would be the first Miami player selected since James Jones was Indiana's second-round pick in 2003.

 

"I will work very hard over the coming months to prepare myself for my NBA career,'' Diaz said.

 

With Diaz leaving, the Hurricanes have just two starters returning next season; only forward Anthony King and guard Denis Clemente ? who combined to average 14.3 points ? are slated to return.

 

Miami's other starters this season, guard Robert Hite ? who finished ranked fifth on Miami's all-time scoring list with 1,717 points ? and center Gary Hamilton were seniors.

 

Underclassmen have until April 29 to announce their eligibility for the draft, which is set for June 28.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's really not built to be a role player, and he just doesn't have the basketball IQ to be an efficient player in the NBA. I see him overseas.

 

There was a time when I thought another year of college would help him, but he seemed to regress this year from last year. And whereas he once looked like a future lottery pick, I'm not sure he'll even be picked in the first round. Another year in college and he might drop out of the draft altogether, so I can't say this is a bad move on his part.

 

And, honestly, I'm glad he left. I really believe Miami will be better off without him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

why would he do that you leave early to be a 1st rounder and that is NO guarantee for him he should have stayed if so that miami team would have meade the tourney

 

well, its doubtful his stock wouldve gone up anyways

 

sure this hurts the Canes, but he might as well take his chance now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...