was at the gym found this wriiten by Hank

I think that was a nice little article by Hank. And yet, he has said really nothing that we haven't already discussed here. The only way that a stadium deal can be reached here is if Bud himself comes down here and personally gets involved in negotiations with either the city, county or whatever. If he is serious about wanting to keep the Marlins in this area, he's going to have to do it himself because its obvious that Loria and Samson have burned just about every bridge that was presented to them and don't seem interested at all to get any kind of deal done.

IF he's serious...

I rarely agree with Hank Goldberg. In fact I hate Hank as much as I can hate anyone I dont know. Yet he speaks the truth here. Loria and Co. have done everything wrong in terms of aquiring a new stadium. He has Samson being the lead negotiator get a pro that knows not only the South Florida landscape but has experience in getting a new facility built. They couldnt get it done in Montreal and they are in D.C. now. If they cant get it done here they'll be somewhere else. Ruining two franchises. Thats an impressive record.

I don't see how involving a MLB helps. They aren't prone to helping local markets. While they may want South Florida, they want a new free ballpark even more. And South Florida represents quite a relocation threat for other owners. I don't see anything Selig or Dupuy could say that hasn't already or be taken any better than delivered by Loria or Samson.

I don't see how involving a MLB helps. They aren't prone to helping local markets. While they may want South Florida, they want a new free ballpark even more. And South Florida represents quite a relocation threat for other owners. I don't see anything Selig or Dupuy could say that hasn't already or be taken any better than delivered by Loria or Samson.

There is only one franchise that could threaten re-location now and that is the Minnesota Twins -- that is unless they have a deal already. Because the Marlins, Devil Rays & the Twins are the last three franchises without either a) and old stadium that is a tradition (Wrigley Field, Fenway) or b) has one of the new fangled baseball stadiums. So the re-location threat is dead. You lose baseball now, there is no one else gonna come.

And just why hasn't Selig gotten involved ? He did in Washington -- because he doesn't care about So Fla as a market. His stupidity already has done nothing but alienate any baseball fans living here. Even the last few years, Mets & Phillies fans haven't been showing up to games when the Marlins play them.....at least not in the numbers they used to show up in.

He was involved in Washington, because, duh, he owned the team. And gave them nothing but a $20M loan, and only if there are cost overruns and then it was to be repaid with interest.

The threat of relocation is enough to force action on a number of fronts. That there's a market available keeps cities in line, whether it be to avoid from requesting too high of a rent next lease negotiation down to fixing potholes on nearby streets. And then there's the Twins. And some of those new ballparks are already outdated (Blue Jays for one). More likely expansion would occur in which MLB would receive a huge expansion fee from the owner and a brand new stadium from the city.

He was involved in Washington, because, duh, he owned the team. And gave them nothing but a $20M loan, and only if there are cost overruns and then it was to be repaid with interest.

The threat of relocation is enough to force action on a number of fronts. That there's a market available keeps cities in line, whether it be to avoid from requesting too high of a rent next lease negotiation down to fixing potholes on nearby streets. And then there's the Twins. And some of those new ballparks are already outdated (Blue Jays for one). More likely expansion would occur in which MLB would receive a huge expansion fee from the owner and a brand new stadium from the city.

Once the Marlins are gone, Huizenga has said he is refitting Dolphin Stadium to FOOTBALL only. That means that no team has a place to threaten to move to. How many people & politicians will believe an owner that says he's moving to So Fla, when an existing team couldn't get the locals to build a stadium ? By they way I checked with a friend of mine in the St Paul area and she said a news Twins stadium is in the works.....that leaves no one to move to South Fla.

We lose the Marlins, we lose baseball for good. :confused

Last time I checked a team didn't need a place to immediately move into upon announcement that they were. They can live as a lame duck, and if the spurned city would be so silly to reject the lameduck from playing out their final years, there's San Juan, Monterey, Montreal and minor league parks to fill the void.

Tell your local politicians that, not me.

I don't particularly like the cheap shots Hank threw regarding the interest in the Marlins.

However, I do agree with his assertion the Marlins FO have failed miserably when they had a legitimate chance to get a deal done with the City of Miami and the State of Florida.

Last time I checked a team didn't need a place to immediately move into upon announcement that they were. They can live as a lame duck, and if the spurned city would be so silly to reject the lameduck from playing out their final years, there's San Juan, Monterey, Montreal and minor league parks to fill the void.

Tell your local politicians that, not me.

My local politicians have listened to us, and we've told them, we don't want tax $$$ to be spent on a stadium. I don't know of anyone that would vote for it, if it was put to the polls. They know that they can only go so far, and that they did when they were negotiating with the Marlins last year. If they had pledged to cover the over-runs with taxpayer $$$ they know they would have had a voter revolt on their hands. This was widely discussed on local TV and in the newspaper.