psa: wwIII has started

^_^

Bush calls terror fight WWIII

From correspondents in Washington

May 06, 2006

US President George W. Bush has said the September 11 revolt of passengers against their hijackers on board Flight 93 had struck the first blow of "World War III".

In an interview with the financial news network CNBC, Mr Bush said he had yet to see the recently released film of the uprising, a dramatic portrayal of events on the United Airlines plane before it crashed in a Pennsylvania field.

But he said he agreed with the description of David Beamer, whose son Todd died in the crash, who in a Wall Street Journal commentary last month called it "our first successful counter-attack in our homeland in this new global war, World War III".

Mr Bush said: "I believe that. I believe that it was the first counter-attack to World War III.

"It was, it was unbelievably heroic of those folks on the airplane to recognize the danger and save lives," he said.

Flight 93 crashed on the morning of September 11, 2001, killing the 33 passengers, seven crew members and four hijackers, after passengers stormed the cockpit and battled the hijackers for control of the aircraft.

The president has repeatedly praised the heroism of the passengers in fighting back and so launching the first blow of what he usually calls the "war on terror".

In 2002, then-White House spokesman Ari Fleischer explicitly declined to call the hunt for Osama bin Laden's Al-Qaeda group and its followers "World War III".

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19043507-38198,00.html

Guest markotsay7

This is not WWIII.........Yet.

I agree, but if things continue, if even two countries who hate us (Iran and Korea?) ally...there you go.

Not enough major countries involved.

I mean, you could characterize Democracy vs. the rest of the world as WWIII by these standards.

Doesn't this just sound like some PR people got together and decided to be clever and to put a new spin on things?

It is WWIV, the Cold War was WWIII.

It is a world-wide conflict. We are not fighting nation-states as much as we are fighting against popular movements. The only nations we face are sponsors of the scumbags. If you consider Germany a major nation and do not consider Iran to be one, you need to rethink your definition of major.

It is WWIV, the Cold War was WWIII.

It is a world-wide conflict. We are not fighting nation-states as much as we are fighting against popular movements. The only nations we face are sponsors of the scumbags. If you consider Germany a major nation and do not consider Iran to be one, you need to rethink your definition of major.

Iran and North Korea are nowhere near as powerful as Germany and Japan were. They can both destabilize thier respective regions but there is no way they can expand thier borders militarily or otherwise. They aren't world powers, maybe regional powers but they have no way of projecting power outside of thier immediate sphere of influence.

The WWIII title should be reserved for conventional wars between the great powers.

Japan was a joke. Only the existance of a European War permitted their expansion. The turning point of the war between Japan and the United States occured 7 months into the conflict. The US defeated Japan with a fraction of our resources, and did so in less than 4 years.

The only reason N. Korea doesn't represent the same kind of threat that Japan did, is that China is a major power.

Within 5 years Iran will be able to project power throughout the eastern hemisphere and would be military capable of defeating any European power within thier own area of control. The United States is currently the only military power capable of going to Iran and defeating them. WWII Germany had 3 nations in their area of influence that were at least their military peers. The fact that they defeated France as quickly as they did was due to doctrine and leadership, rather than power.

This is a worldwide conflict that involves all of Europe, the Middle East, South Asia, East Africa, and the Southern Pacific rim. It is a new kind of war, but a war nonetheless.

Guest Guest

The only sobering thought is that North Korea could take South Korea very easily. North Korea would eviscerate US troops and South Korean troops in that country.

It's enlightening that they haven't tried to do so yet, because they'd be pretty much unchallenged.

But yes, this is not a world war because it is really not a war between any country. And the Iraq war is over. It's now just troops vs. insurgents.

The only sobering thought is that North Korea could take South Korea very easily. North Korea would eviscerate US troops and South Korean troops in that country.

It's enlightening that they haven't tried to do so yet, because they'd be pretty much unchallenged.

But yes, this is not a world war because it is really not a war between any country. And the Iraq war is over. It's now just troops vs. insurgents.

I think you underestimate the quality of our troops as well as the ROK soldiers.

Guest Guest

No. I know the # and quality of troops garrisoned in Korea. I served with men who served in Korea.

If North Korea ever does decide to head south, there would be no stopping them.

No. I know the # and quality of troops garrisoned in Korea. I served with men who served in Korea.

If North Korea ever does decide to head south, there would be no stopping them.

There is an entire Marine division based in Okinawa to maintain stability in the region, if South Korea ever tried to invade South Korea the 3rd MARDIV would be there in an instant capable of thwarting any invasion.

The troops based in Korea on and near the border are a very small percentage of the U.S. presence in the region and i'm sure the DoD has hundreds if not thousands of different contingency plans in place for anything North Korea attempt.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.