Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins new Centerfielder should be

Featured Replies

Our new CF should be our current CF. He's doing a damn fine job, and he's cut back a lot on his Ks. Give him a full season and maybe his eye will get even better. He has a strong arm, big bat and runs hella fast.

Our new CF should be our current CF. He's doing a damn fine job, and he's cut back a lot on his Ks. Give him a full season and maybe his eye will get even better. He has a strong arm, big bat and runs hella fast.

 

I know you really like him, but I can't figure out why Reggie is doing better besides the idea that "he is just getting better." I'm very against that idea. Not that I am rooting against him, but I'm still shell shocked by his awful minor league stats and absolutely awful april.

 

2006

vs LHP 30 AB .167/.219/.300, 2/7 BB/K, whiffs 22% of plate apperances

vs RHP 65 AB .262/.324/.415, 6/23 BB/K, whiffs 32% of place apperances

 

April 57 AB .175/.203/.263, 2/21 BB/K, whiffs 35% of place apperances

May 38 AB .316/.409/.553, 6/9 BB/k, whiffs 20% of plate apperances

 

He is facing near exclusive RHP (I believe Dukes was the first) in May, so you'd figure he'd hit better this month versus April because he simply does not have much success against LHP. However what's weird is, he whiffs more against RHP on average, yet his K rate has drastically dropped in May facing them more. Likewise, he makes more contact vs lefties as opposed to rightes, but bats .100 points less. I'm going to chalk this up to outrageous small sample size inconsistencies, but maybe this is the start of showing real plate discipline improvement from Reggie vs RHP, and he is just unlucky vs LHP thus far? I will start getting excited if this split holds up through June. Not the .950 OPS one (although that will get my REALLY excited), but just the general improvement in contact hitting and an OK amount of walks where he won't absolutely kill the OBP.

 

Gotta play him now because he's smoking hot, but unlike Uggla who is kicking my ass right now (and Orlando Hudson's. I wonder what DBack fans think), Reggie needs to do this for awhile before he can be taken seriously as a legitimate long term option in CF. I still think CF is the # 1 need of the organization.

Our new CF should be our current CF. He's doing a damn fine job, and he's cut back a lot on his Ks. Give him a full season and maybe his eye will get even better. He has a strong arm, big bat and runs hella fast.

 

I know you really like him, but I can't figure out why Reggie is doing better besides the idea that "he is just getting better." I'm very against that idea. Not that I am rooting against him, but I'm still shell shocked by his awful minor league stats and absolutely awful april.

 

2006

vs LHP 30 AB .167/.219/.300, 2/7 BB/K, whiffs 22% of plate apperances

vs RHP 65 AB .262/.324/.415, 6/23 BB/K, whiffs 32% of place apperances

 

April 57 AB .175/.203/.263, 2/21 BB/K, whiffs 35% of place apperances

May 38 AB .316/.409/.553, 6/9 BB/k, whiffs 20% of plate apperances

 

He is facing near exclusive RHP (I believe Dukes was the first) in May, so you'd figure he'd hit better this month versus April because he simply does not have much success against LHP. However what's weird is, he whiffs more against RHP on average, yet his K rate has drastically dropped in May facing them more. Likewise, he makes more contact vs lefties as opposed to rightes, but bats .100 points less. I'm going to chalk this up to outrageous small sample size inconsistencies, but maybe this is the start of showing real plate discipline improvement from Reggie vs RHP, and he is just unlucky vs LHP thus far? I will start getting excited if this split holds up through June. Not the .950 OPS one (although that will get my REALLY excited), but just the general improvement in contact hitting and an OK amount of walks where he won't absolutely kill the OBP.

 

Gotta play him now because he's smoking hot, but unlike Uggla who is kicking my ass right now (and Orlando Hudson's. I wonder what DBack fans think), Reggie needs to do this for awhile before he can be taken seriously as a legitimate long term option in CF. I still think CF is the # 1 need of the organization.

 

 

I don't care about RH/LH splits. He's a rookie just over a month into the season. He's playing better, that's all that matters.

Its nice that we have to choose between 2 players who are producing relatively well at this point.

 

Reggie has made some real nice plays in CF but I still feel he is a bit of a work in progress out there. Can Hermida cover enough ground out in center? If so maybe we could move Reggie to RF. But what do we do with big JoBo? He is lookin real comfy at the plate right now and you hate to sit him......

 

The Helms/Jacobs project could always be replaced with JoBo although it looks like Jake may be coming out of his"swing at the first pitch crack addiction".

Our new CF should be our current CF. He's doing a damn fine job, and he's cut back a lot on his Ks. Give him a full season and maybe his eye will get even better. He has a strong arm, big bat and runs hella fast.

 

I know you really like him, but I can't figure out why Reggie is doing better besides the idea that "he is just getting better." I'm very against that idea. Not that I am rooting against him, but I'm still shell shocked by his awful minor league stats and absolutely awful april.

 

2006

vs LHP 30 AB .167/.219/.300, 2/7 BB/K, whiffs 22% of plate apperances

vs RHP 65 AB .262/.324/.415, 6/23 BB/K, whiffs 32% of place apperances

 

April 57 AB .175/.203/.263, 2/21 BB/K, whiffs 35% of place apperances

May 38 AB .316/.409/.553, 6/9 BB/k, whiffs 20% of plate apperances

 

He is facing near exclusive RHP (I believe Dukes was the first) in May, so you'd figure he'd hit better this month versus April because he simply does not have much success against LHP. However what's weird is, he whiffs more against RHP on average, yet his K rate has drastically dropped in May facing them more. Likewise, he makes more contact vs lefties as opposed to rightes, but bats .100 points less. I'm going to chalk this up to outrageous small sample size inconsistencies, but maybe this is the start of showing real plate discipline improvement from Reggie vs RHP, and he is just unlucky vs LHP thus far? I will start getting excited if this split holds up through June. Not the .950 OPS one (although that will get my REALLY excited), but just the general improvement in contact hitting and an OK amount of walks where he won't absolutely kill the OBP.

 

Gotta play him now because he's smoking hot, but unlike Uggla who is kicking my ass right now (and Orlando Hudson's. I wonder what DBack fans think), Reggie needs to do this for awhile before he can be taken seriously as a legitimate long term option in CF. I still think CF is the # 1 need of the organization.

 

 

I don't care about RH/LH splits. He's a rookie just over a month into the season. He's playing better, that's all that matters.

 

Exactly right. :thumbup

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.