Notes: Abercrombie is hot

Junior

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

ATLANTA -- Throughout the four-game series in Atlanta, a small cheering section was screaming, hollering and rooting on Marlins center fielder Reggie Abercrombie.

A native of Columbus, Ga., Abercrombie has purchased between 10-15 tickets for family members and friends to attend each of these games at Turner Field.

The Abercrombie fan club has had reason to make plenty of noise. He is 9-for-25 (.360) on the road trip, and he's been hot in Atlanta offensively and defensively.

"It's been cool having my mom, my family and my friends here," Abercrombie said. "They've had a good time."

After a slow start, the 25-year-old center fielder is hitting .250 on the season with three home runs, 11 RBIs and 15 runs scored, including his first-inning solo homer on Thursday.

"I'm going out and having fun, and having more confidence," Abercrombie said of his turnaround.

With so much atheticism and power potential, Abercrombie is getting continued support from manager Joe Girardi and hitting coach Jim Presley. He is talking baseball and hitting with Miguel Cabrera and Josh Willingham. All the advice and extra work is paying off.

"I'm just looking at how they are pitching Cabrera," Abercrombie said. "I'm asking Hammer [Willingham] and Cabrera about the game."

A free swinger, Abercrombie has a tendency to chase bad pitches and repeatedly go after the first pitch. He has 33 strikeouts in 112 at-bats. But when he makes contact, he can show exceptional power. That was displayed earlier this season at Cincinnati, when he crushed a 493-foot home run into the upper deck in left field.

"Cabrera said, 'Let the ball come to you and don't go chasing it. This game is hard, but you've got to let things come to you,'" Abercrombie said. "When you've got that caliber of ballplayer like Cabrera telling you things like that, it helps a lot."

Keeping a positive attitude when times were rougher also was a challenge.

"It's been real hard," Abercrombie said. "Joe and Pres have been behind me. [it's helpful] any time you've got a manager and team behind you. They have confidence in you and believe in you."

Girardi thinks the more Abercrombie sees the league, the better he will be.

"He's made adjustments," Girardi said. "We've asked him to make adjustments and he's made them. I think as time goes on, he's even going to get better. At times he might run into a bump in the road as all hitters do. But as time goes on, he will get better, be more selective and learn the league. A lot of our young hitters, the second time they've seen the league, they are a little more comfortable."

Injury updates: Depending on how he feels after playing a rehab game on Thursday night, Jeremy Hermida could be activated off the disabled list as early as Friday when the Marlins play at Tampa Bay.

Hermida has been on a rehab assignment all week, starting off with extended Spring Training games on Monday and Tuesday in Jupiter. On Wednesday, the right fielder joined Class A Jupiter when they played at Clearwater. Thursday night's game also is at Clearwater.

Girardi is not firmly saying Hermida will be activated on Friday night, but the manager said it is likely the 22-year-old will play in the weekend series at Tampa Bay.

Hermida has been on the disabled list since April 17 with a strained right hip flexor.

In other injury news, reliever Franklyn German, on the DL since May 10 with shoulder tendinitis, is making progress.

The 6-foot-7 right-hander has been throwing side sessions, and he should be available not long after his eligible return date of May 25. Since the Marlins are off that day, the earliest German can be activated is May 26 at home against the Mets.

Jacobs hitting his stride: Power hitters can fall into the trap of having a "long swing" or overswinging.

Mike Jacobs tends to lapse into having a long swing. But of late, especially in this series, the first baseman is showing what he is capable of doing when he doesn't overswing. On Monday, he belted a three-run homer, had three hits and drove in a career-high six runs. And on Wednesday, in a lefty-lefty matchup against Mike Remlinger, Jacobs collected a two-run single to center that gave the Marlins the lead in the eighth inning.

Girardi says in batting practice it is fine to have a long swing, but when the game starts, using a shorter, more compact swing typically gets better results.

"Sometimes you just get into that mode of just trying to hit home runs, because that's what I'm supposed to do and that's what I have done over my career," Girardi said. "You can have a longer swing in BP. But everything speeds up at 7:05, 7:35 or whatever time we play. You better keep it short because long is not going to work."

The key for Jacobs is reminding himself to not overdo it.

"He had glimpses of good swings, he would just get long at times," Girardi said. "To me, it's the discipline of what you have to do to be a great hitter. You can't get out of what you do. I get on him in BP, telling him, 'Don't get out of what you do. Stay short. Don't try to hit balls out of the ballpark.' When he does that, he gets hits and he hits balls out of the ballpark. When he stays short, it works. It's just reminding himself every day."

Hammerin' Hank among the best: Rafael "Felo" Ramirez, the Marlins' veteran Spanish-language play-by-play radio announcer, has broadcasted a number of great moments in baseball history. The winner of the Ford C. Frick Award and inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2001, Ramirez was in Atlanta the day Hank Aaron belted home run No. 715, passing Babe Ruth.

At the time, he was broadcasting for radio stations in Puerto Rico.

Among the highlights Ramirez has seen in his long career are Aaron's homer, Roberto Clemente's 3,000th hit, and Don Larsen's perfect game. He also announced games with Ted Williams playing.

The top three players Ramirez says he's ever seen are Willie Mays, Clemente and Aaron.

"Willie Mays was complete," Ramirez said. "He could do everything."

Coming up: Opening a three-game series against the Devil Rays in St. Petersburg on Friday night at 7:15 p.m. ET, the Marlins will start veteran Brian Moehler. The Rays are going with left-hander Casey Fossum.

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League

Its great to see Cabs stepping up and helping out the young kids.

Kool-Aid is gonna be stud eventually in this league. He has speed and pop. He has potential of being a 30/30 guy in this league.

yet cabs is still younger than reggie :D

Reggie also gives a lot of credit to hitting coordinator John Mallee, who coached Abercrombie in the Arizona Fall League & checks in with him regularly.

"I talk to him like every other day," Abercrombie said. "If I swing at a dumb pitch or something, he'll call me. He's been on me pretty good. I give him all the praise. I wouldn't be here today without him in that Fall League."

I've been pleased with his defense in center field, as far as range & getting pretty good reads on the ball. He's made some great throws to the plate, some not so good. But he really needs to work on where the ball needs to go, when to go to 2nd, to 3rd, when to hit the cutoff man, etc.

He's just the prototype of a "raw" talent. Any progress is great to see.

Reggie also gives a lot of credit to hitting coordinator John Mallee, who coached Abercrombie in the Arizona Fall League & checks in with him regularly.

"I talk to him like every other day," Abercrombie said. "If I swing at a dumb pitch or something, he'll call me. He's been on me pretty good. I give him all the praise. I wouldn't be here today without him in that Fall League."

I've been pleased with his defense in center field, as far as range & getting pretty good reads on the ball. He's made some great throws to the plate, some not so good. But he really needs to work on where the ball needs to go, when to go to 2nd, to 3rd, when to hit the cutoff man, etc.

He's just the prototype of a "raw" talent. Any progress is great to see.

He has missed alot of time in his career due to injuries...but he is back on track...Remember he has never been above double A til now...Kudos to the scouting dept for picking him up out of no where and for nothing credit to our coaching staff in enabling him to develop...I am a believer that he is only gonna get better and better

Lets move this thread to the Abercrombie thread please