Wow, I mean, wow

BullDurham

Poor horse. They said his racing career is probably over, but it probably isn't life-threatening. Well, actually that was just one man's opinion, and even he said it was too soon to tell. Hopefully, Barbaro goes on to make lots of baby horses. There is SOOOO much money to be made from this one horse...I just worry whether they'll do what's best for the horse.

That was probably the most gut-wrenching thing I've seen live in sports. I can't think of anything worse at the moment. Here was this so-called "super-horse" that was prancing around before the race, looking like it was going to wipe the field, and probably go on to win the Triple Crown...he was so ready to race that he burst through the gate early and had to be brought back to the starting line...and now there's a chance he's going to die. The rest of the race was absolutely an afterthought.

I was at the Derby 2 weeks ago. I watched Barbaro win tby the biggest margin in 60 years. To go from there to here in the span of 2 weeks is almost unthinkable.

That was probably the most gut-wrenching thing I've seen live in sports.

not sure if you ever saw the video of Clint Malarchuk. that was really really bad.

he was an nhl goalie and his neck was slashed by a skate in the middle of a game and it eventually took 300 stitches to close up. espn has done a bunch of reports on the incident since.

pic of him on his knees in the crease bleeding

Barbaro survives the surgery:

Veterinarians announced Sunday night they had successfully fused the shattered right leg of Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro, offering reason for optimism after a tumultuous 24 hours during which the racehorse went from contending for the Triple Crown to struggling for its life.

More than five hours of unprecedented surgery at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center left doctors cautiously optimistic that Barbaro, who sustained his injury about 50 strides into Saturday's Preakness Stakes in Baltimore, would survive to live a career at stud that would be worth millions of dollars.

"We hopefully fused the fetlock successfully so he will be able to live and have a career as a stallion," Dr. Dean Richardson, the center's chief of surgery, said in a briefing room packed with more than 100 media representatives. "He's still a coin toss even after things went well."

The news came as a huge relief to those who had stood vigil outside the hospital and to Barbaro's fan base, which had grown exponentially in number since the colt's dominant victory at the Kentucky Derby on May 6.

In a procedure he described beforehand as "life-threatening," Richardson worked with six other doctors to fuse the fractured cannon bone, sesamoid and long pastern in Barbaro's right rear leg as well as a dislocated fetlock. The surgery required a metal rod and 23 screws to help stabilize a long pastern bone that had shattered into more than 20 pieces.

After the operation, an anesthetized Barbaro was lowered into a pool of water, buoyed by an inflatable raft, to guard against any agitation that might have occurred when he awoke. Later, he was taken to a 14-by-14-foot stall in the hospital's intensive care unit, standing on his own.

"At the moment, he is extremely comfortable," said Richardson, who said Barbaro still must avoid infection and other dangers during his recovery.

Owned by former minor-league baseball team owner Roy Jackson and his wife, Gretchen, Barbaro entered Saturday as a prohibitive favorite to win not only the Preakness Stakes but also next month's Belmont Stakes, which would have made him the first winner of horse racing's coveted Triple Crown since Affirmed in 1978. Instead, less than 50 strides out of the starting gate, Barbaro broke three bones in his right rear ankle, his leg flailing grotesquely, and was pulled up by his jockey, Edgar Prado.

The injury sent a seismic shock throughout the racing world, virtually silencing a record crowd of 118,402 at Pimlico Race Course.

Richardson said one of the critical factors in whether the operation would be a success was the blood flow through the arteries in the ankle, and while he found a good supply, he said the area was "badly damaged enough that you could see blood oozing through the skin."

Barbaro's trainer, Michael Matz, exhaled along with the rest of the racing world.

"From the last time I saw him until today is a big relief," Matz said. "The team did an excellent job. When he walked into his stall, he started eating hay."

Throughout the day, the New Bolton Center became the grounds of a hopeful vigil as bands of news reporters, cameramen and photographers passed the slow hours waiting for any word. Fans dropped by early in the day and posted notes on the entrance gates to the hospital that read, "Thank you, Barbaro," and "Good luck, Barbaro." Flower vases with get-well cards filled the waiting room. A bunch of raw carrots brought in sat on a table.

Exactly when and how the injury occurred remains a mystery. An injury to the rear leg of a horse during competition is almost unheard of, said Bill Brasaemle, a race chart caller at Pimlico, who watches about 2,000 races a year for Equibase, the official racetrack information company.

"Off the top of my head, it's been quite a while since I've seen one," Brasaemle said. "I was incredulous. Horses just don't break hind legs and break down that early in a race. They break down on the turn or in the stretch. I was completely shocked. A catastrophic break like that doesn't happen early."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...SPGK8IVS8L1.DTL