Legitimate Theory

BroncoBob27

I touched on this in another post but how about we discuss it more? I'm beginning to think that because now teams have actual game tapes on our guys that it is having a determining factor. They can now see how pitchers will react in any given situation, what pitches they are likely to throw. What pitches our batters are likely to swing at.

The talking heads on the sports shows were saying Marlins and WC in the same breath. Maybe now teams are studying our habits more instead of chalking up a win before the National Anthem is being sung. Proof of them doing that would be our pitchers throwing more per inning. Our batters hitting more grounders and lazy pop ups. In other words, what we are seeing happen.

We have a bunch of rookies. Maybe they have yet to learn that they need to adjust to the adjustments in the big picture.

A legitimate theory that isn't bashing or putting the blame on any one player. Interesting concept, isn't it.

I touched on this in another post but how about we discuss it more? I'm beginning to think that because now teams have actual game tapes on our guys that it is having a determining factor. They can now see how pitchers will react in any given situation, what pitches they are likely to throw. What pitches our batters are likely to swing at.

The talking heads on the sports shows were saying Marlins and WC in the same breath. Maybe now teams are studying our habits more instead of chalking up a win before the National Anthem is being sung. Proof of them doing that would be our pitchers throwing more per inning. Our batters hitting more grounders and lazy pop ups. In other words, what we are seeing happen.

We have a bunch of rookies. Maybe they have yet to learn that they need to adjust to the adjustments in the big picture.

A legitimate theory that isn't bashing or putting the blame on any one player. Interesting concept, isn't it.

Yes, it is now up to the Marlins to make adjustments. But if you are referring to Nolasco's start yesterday,I don't necessarily think his getting hammered was a result of the Mets having more game tape on him. Yesterday was just a pitcher going out there and not having any of his pitches working. He couldn't get his curve over the plate and couldn't locate his fastball consistently. That happens to all pitchers occasionally.

But in general I agree that teams are now adjusting to the Marlins, and it is up to the young players to now adjust to that.

Then why'd they play so well in June?

Yeah, teams having seen Nolasco 3 or 4 times in some instances had an impact, but more than anything else it's simply a crashing down to Earth for some players that overachieved; afterall, baseball is a game of averages.

We've been playing about .500 ball since our tremendous 23-9 (?) run. I don't think that means teams are figuring us out all of the sudden.

And it's ridiculous to think that teams 'didn't watch tape' on us beforehand. This is major league baseball.

This is the Major Leagues.. Teams look at tapes of every single player they are facing. Case in point was the Marlins facing Pelfrey yesterday. It was his first Major League start, and all they had to go on was tape from last year when he was in college... To say that teams are just starting to watch tape on the Marlins is insane. Some teams may think a series may be easy, but don't let it fool you. Each and every manager takes every series serious and doesn't deviate from pre-game preparations.

If anything, what's happening here is players are now seeing our rookies for the second and third time. Tape can only do so much. Once they've seen them a few times, they start to adjust. Now it's time for our guys to re-adjust.. It's what MLB is all about.

I agree with the principle, but Nolasco struggled yesterday because he couldn't locate his curveball. It was a question of execution, and that is the other big factor with young players; the ability to stay consistent over the course of the long season.

I agree with the principle, but Nolasco struggled yesterday because he couldn't locate his curveball. It was a question of execution, and that is the other big factor with young players; the ability to stay consistent over the course of the long season.

Wasn't refering to any particular player or game. Just an observation. Sure, teams had some video on our players but now they have alot of video which will give them more of a feel for the tendacies of each one. It's just a theory. I think the biggest thing is that the kids have got to learn to adjust to the adjustments. They have semi-succeeded doing this during games but not in the overall picture, if you get my meaning.