Deal Reached on Stadium Land

Miami Herald

Posted on Fri, Jul. 28, 2006

HIALEAH

Deal reached on stadium land.

The state and Miami-Dade County reached a settlement over an expansion of the Urban Development Boundary that could accommodate a Marlins stadium.

BY REBECCA DELLAGLORIA

[email protected]

Miami-Dade County and the state of Florida have ironed out an agreement to allow an expansion of the Urban Development Boundary in Hialeah that could accommodate a proposed stadium for the Florida Marlins.

The settlement, which will likely be adopted Aug. 24 by the County Commission, seeks to assuage concerns by the state's Department of Community Affairs, which refused to approve the change to the county's master development plan last month. The DCA, which reviews major land-use changes by the county, cited Miami-Dade's limited potable water supplies and the expansion's impact on traffic in the Hialeah area.

The boundary is designed to deter urban sprawl into the Everglades. The 1,100-acre site outside the boundary is slated for office and commercial development. Developer Armando Codina, who owns most of the site, has indicated he would donate some of the land for a Marlins stadium. While that plan is backed by city and county leaders, no formal deal has been reached with the team, which hasn't commented on the proposal.

But neighboring Miami Lakes says the state-county deal would create a traffic nightmare.

To address the state's traffic concerns, the deal would require local highways to be expanded from eight to 10 lanes in Northwest Miami-Dade. It also would eventually create an interchange on Interstate 75 at Northwest 154th Street.

That is the main point of contention for Miami Lakes, which fears that an exit from I-75 at 154th Street would wreak havoc on an already congested road. The town's attorneys filed a motion to intervene in the proceedings.

''We need to send a strong message to the county that we are not happy, this is not acceptable and our residents are not stepchildren,'' said Miami Lakes Councilman Michael Pizzi. ``They have one overriding obsession and that is having the UDB application go through at all costs. And they didn't tell us about it.''

The proposed roadway improvements are nothing new. All are part of the county Metropolitan Planning Agency's long-range transportation plan. But the settlement would speed up construction of the road improvements to sometime between 2015 and 2020.

Representatives from the county, Hialeah and Miami Lakes met last week to address the town's concerns. Attorneys for the county and Hialeah said they discussed whether doing away with the I-75 interchange would resolve the dispute before the county adopts the settlement. DCA also would have to sign off on the change.

''If DCA is willing to find us in compliance without the interchange being in there, I don't know that we feel an independent need to put it there,'' said Dennis Kerbel, an assistant county attorney.

Miami Lakes Town Manager Alex Rey said the Town Council would have to call a special meeting next month in order to give its approval, although the lane expansions for I-75 and State Road 826 could still be a bone of contention.

If the town is still not happy with the settlement after the county adopts it, it can request an administrative hearing on the matter.

As for the DCA's concerns about the county's supply of potable water, Kerbel said an agreement between the county and Hialeah to build a roughly $40 million reverse-osmosis water treatment plant should appease the state. The target date for completion of the plant is 2011, said Hialeah City Attorney Bill Grodnick.

Key points in this article:

...Miami-Dade County and the state of Florida have ironed out an agreement to allow an expansion of the Urban Development Boundary in Hialeah that could accommodate a proposed stadium for the Florida Marlins.

The Stadium is not the sole (or even the main) reason for the UDB move, though Ms. Dellagloria seems to imply that.

While that plan is backed by city and county leaders, no formal deal has been reached with the team, which hasn't commented on the proposal.

Again, Loria & Co. are not actively involved in this process, though I'm sure they have much interest in it.

...Developer Armando Codina, who owns most of the site, has indicated he would donate some of the land for a Marlins stadium.

Someone please refer me to time and place where Codina indicated he would donate the land to Loria & Co?

Key points in this article:

...Developer Armando Codina, who owns most of the site, has indicated he would donate some of the land for a Marlins stadium.

Someone please refer me to time and place where Codina indicated he would donate the land to Loria & Co?

Internally it has been stated that the work that was done by the both the county and the city to get the UDB moved for Codina would then in turn get the land for the city to offer the marlins....that is the least of the teams worries...

this is a big hurdle that was crossed and it moves us closer to a possible announcment of a deal

It's interesting because in one article you'll see it mentioned as accepted truth, and in another you'll hear Codina state that he has never stated this.

Here's a Herald article that mentions it:

link

Codina has indicated he would donate some of the land for a Marlins stadium. The plan has been enthusiastically backed by city leaders as well as several county commissioners -- although no deal has been reached with the ball club or Major League Baseball.

My guess is that Codina just hasn't made any hard public statements verifying it, but that it's pretty much a done deal.

No land = NO UDB move

Codina has plenty of money riding on the UDB move. Once the line is moved, he gets 706,581 FECI shares released to him from escrow. Codina merged with Florida East Coast Industries (old Flagler Railroad) and this new plethora of shares is a bonus because he got the UDB moved within 5 years. Codina heads the land development division of FECI.

Mayor of Hialeah discusses this situation on 4 Sunday Morning back on June 25th.

Looking at at a map, it's hard to fathom how the site could work without on/off ramps from I-75 at 154th street. I suppose an on/off ramping system could be built at the northern corner of the property exclusively for the use of the subject property but without knowing exactly which parcel(s) will be used for siting the proposed stadium, that makes little sense.

No interchange at 154st no access from I-75 north or south, effectively killing the deal.

Looking at at a map, it's hard to fathom how the site could work without on/off ramps from I-75 at 154th street. I suppose an on/off ramping system could be built at the northern corner of the property exclusively for the use of the subject property but without knowing exactly which parcel(s) will be used for siting the proposed stadium, that makes little sense.

No interchange at 154st no access from I-75 north or south, effectively killing the deal.

killing the deal with no interchange is asinine....one thing people need to understand is that the stadium is going to be built on the turnpike side of the property and not on the I-75 side of the property and this is due to parking concerns....now if they say they won't put off ramps on the turnpike area then that would be bad....

after speaking to some people during lunch this deal is alot closer than most people think or know about....so keep your ears tuned