Who here has been to Washington, D.C.?

Accord

I'm visiting Washington from August 14-17 and would like to hear from some people who have visited on some cool things to do. I've got a list so far, but most of it was just typical stuff everyone does when they go to Washington, i'm looking for other ideas.

-Marine Corps Sunset Parade @ Iwo Jima memorial

-Supreme Court

-Library of Congress

-National Archives (constitution, bill of rights, declaration of independance, magna carta)

-Vietnam Wall

-Korean War Memorial

-Lincoln Memorial

-Jefferson Memorial

-Capital Building

-Washington Monument

-Smithsonian museum of american history (not interested in the other Smithsonian museums)

-National Postal Museum

-Ford's Theatre/Lincoln Museum

-Arlington National Cemetary

-National WW2 Memorial

-Pentagon and 9/11 Memorial

-Francis Scott Key Memorial

-FDR Memorial

-American Jewish Military History Museum

-National Firearms Museum

-Watergate (staying there)

-Bureau of Engraving and Printing

-Spy Museum

That's all i've got on my TO-DO list so far, what are some other interesting things I could do or go to when i'm there?

Thanks

Went there last month on a road trip(from NY) for about 8 hours. We didn't plan anything so we went to the usual things. Unfortunately, the day we went there was a huge protest and they had to block off the White House. I was able to go to 2 museums and they are great. I would have liked to go inside the Capitol building but there weren't letting people in either. Sorry, I couldn't be of much help.

I was just there about a month ago for a school field trip. I've also been there a few times in the past..

The Holocaust Muesuem was great, a lot of history. They had thousands of shoes and suitcases belonging to the jews that were killed. They had a train car that took prisoners to Auschwitz (the main extermination camp). They had little cards that told the story of a different person that was killed. It was very nice.

The Native American Muesuem was the worst part of the trip. They had some arrowheads which were kinda cool but everything else was really boring. Also, don't eat in the food court there, unless you like nasty looking indian food.

We got to see the White House, but most probably don't get in. We only saw like 5-6 rooms or so. We saw Thomas Jefferson's dining room which was really nice. Other rooms that I remember seeing are the blue room and the red room.

The Air&Space Muesuem was great. It hold the plane that dropped the first atomic bomb over Japan. They had a bunch of planes, from all over the years. They had some really neat old planes and some really modern looking new ones.

The National Archives was good. You might have a long wait though. We waited outside before the place was even open for 2 hours. The real Declaration of Independce wasn't even up, something was being done to it, so they had a fake showing. Oh, and obviously don't take pictures with a flash camera or you get your ass chewed out by security.

The Memorials/Monuments were good, the Korean War memorial was really nice. People were putting flowers along the base of it.

Capital Building was good, we got to see some meeting. It was interesting to see them discussing issues, and it was nice and cool in there. :)

Ford's Theatre is cool. I saw Shenandoah (that's a play), it was great, I highly reccomend it if it's still playing. You can see where Lincoln was shot, someone with the theatre will say where it is over the loudspeaker thing.

Arlington National Cemetery is nice, you can see the Kennedy's graves. It's very eye-opening to see the zillions of headstones. The changing of the guard was very neat, very official. If you count their footsteps, they take 21 to each side, symbolizing the 21-gun-salute.

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing was closed when I was there. But I saw it a few years ago and it was my favorite part of the trip. You can even buy a sheet of money!

I was just there about a month ago for a school field trip. I've also been there a few times in the past..

The Holocaust Muesuem was great, a lot of history. They had thousands of shoes and suitcases belonging to the jews that were killed. They had a train car that took prisoners to Auschwitz (the main extermination camp). They had little cards that told the story of a different person that was killed. It was very nice.

The Native American Muesuem was the worst part of the trip. They had some arrowheads which were kinda cool but everything else was really boring. Also, don't eat in the food court there, unless you like nasty looking indian food.

We got to see the White House, but most probably don't get in. We only saw like 5-6 rooms or so. We saw Thomas Jefferson's dining room which was really nice. Other rooms that I remember seeing are the blue room and the red room.

The Air&Space Muesuem was great. It hold the plane that dropped the first atomic bomb over Japan. They had a bunch of planes, from all over the years. They had some really neat old planes and some really modern looking new ones.

The National Archives was good. You might have a long wait though. We waited outside before the place was even open for 2 hours. The real Declaration of Independce wasn't even up, something was being done to it, so they had a fake showing. Oh, and obviously don't take pictures with a flash camera or you get your ass chewed out by security.

The Memorials/Monuments were good, the Korean War memorial was really nice. People were putting flowers along the base of it.

Capital Building was good, we got to see some meeting. It was interesting to see them discussing issues, and it was nice and cool in there. :)

Ford's Theatre is cool. I saw Shenandoah (that's a play), it was great, I highly reccomend it if it's still playing. You can see where Lincoln was shot, someone with the theatre will say where it is over the loudspeaker thing.

Arlington National Cemetery is nice, you can see the Kennedy's graves. It's very eye-opening to see the zillions of headstones. The changing of the guard was very neat, very official. If you count their footsteps, they take 21 to each side, symbolizing the 21-gun-salute.

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing was closed when I was there. But I saw it a few years ago and it was my favorite part of the trip. You can even buy a sheet of money!

Thanks for all the info and tips.

Did you go on a weekend or weekday? A 2 hour wait for the National Archives is crazy!

Go the Capital Office Buildings, you're able to get in freely and able to walk in on Committee hearings, and see Senators and Congressman walking the hall(I talked a bit to Lindsey Graham, on an elevator in Rayburn). You can also call ahead and see if you could possibly get a meeting with your congressman or (dream) Senator.

The conference I was with the last time, I was there, got me in too see Santorum, but from what I hear, it's pretty easy for a regular constituent, just don't expect a long sitdown, maybe with your congressman.

Guest marlins02

1) It's baseball and that's enough motivation for me.

2) RFK is actually a lot more fun than you think.

3) So don't be a snob.

what he said, id love to go a bunch of different ballparks other than dolphins stadium.

i went one tiem a few years back on a roadtrip, spent a day over there walking around, visiting the monuments, it was great. just saw the normal stuff. my dad let a loud one rip at the jefferson memorial, place was silent before that happened.

I love Washington. The only touristy places I've been to in quite awhile are the Holocaust Museum and the park outside the White House; both were decent. The Metrorail is solid for getting around, though you'll still be walking a ton.

Be sure to hit up Georgetown--good eats there.

I HATE the DC area, especially Northern Virginia.

why? Even if you don't like to for the history, it's a beautiful city. Everything is well groomed, I don't know how to say this, it just looks nice.

The only nice part of that entire geographical region is the very heart of Washington DC. Northern Virginia is a hellhole full of rich people that buy their kids new Hondas, the whole place is full of shopping centers and cookie-cutter subdivisions, and congested roads and highways wherever you go. If you've ever spent any time in Northern Virginia you'd know what I mean.