The Good Shepherd

Iowa

One of two movies I am very much looking forward too.. Joe Pesci's first movie in about 10 years.

Edward Wilson, the only witness to his father's suicide and member of the Skull and Bones Society while a student at Yale, is a morally upright young man who values honor and discretion, qualities that help him to be recruited for a career in the newly founded Central Intelligence Agency. While working there, his ideals gradually turn to suspicion influenced by the Cold War paranoia present within the office. Eventually, he becomes an influential veteran operative, while his distrust of everyone around him increases to no end. His dedication to his work does not come without a price though, leading him to sacrifice his ideals and eventually his family.

Directed by: Robert De Niro

Written by: Eric Roth (Forrest Gump, Munich)

Starring:

Matt Damon

Robert DeNiro

Joe Pesci

Angelina Jolie

Also appearing:

Michael Gambon

William Hurt

Alec Baldwin

Timothy Hutton

Billy Crudup

Chazz Palmentieri

Jason Patric

John Turturro

That's a helluva cast.

There has been a lot of talk about this movie.. anyone have the slightest clue when its coming out?

Alec Baldwin and Angelina Jolie? Booooo.

What's so bad about them?

It looks like an interesting movie. I enjoy watching CIA-related films when they are made, which isn't all that often.

I don't know if anyone has seen it, but "Spy Game" is a good film with Brad Pitt and Robert Redford about the CIA. It's not based in facts, but it's a good film.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In my opinion, it was a little bit disappointing. I felt that it focused too much on these fictional characters, rather than the CIA itself. The subtitle that has been added to this film, "The Untold Story of the CIA", is misleading. The Joe Pesci appearance also felt really tacked on, and unnecessary.

Yeah, Pesci being in the film was really just to get him in there.

I thought the movie was fantastic. I expected a Godfather-style movie where the focus is on the toll the system takes on the characters, and I thought the movie delivered in that respect. I liked it a lot and would highly recommend it.

I was impressed in all aspects. It really seemed to have an energy to it, and I didn't feel the 3 hour runtime as much as I suspected I would. Damon and Jolie are both excellent. The writing was crisp and quite intense at times.

Very, very good.

Certainly in the running for my Top 5 of the year.

In my opinion, it was a little bit disappointing. I felt that it focused too much on these fictional characters, rather than the CIA itself. The subtitle that has been added to this film, "The Untold Story of the CIA", is misleading. The Joe Pesci appearance also felt really tacked on, and unnecessary.

I missed this earlier.

The movie is more about the character Edward Wilson than it is the CIA.

Don't expect an origin story of the CIA.

Saw this last night. Pretty good, and definitely gives you some things to think about.

I didn't think it was too long, necessarily, but I felt some parts needed to be shorter and some needed to be longer. I agree that the Pesci scene was unnecessary. There was a bit too much lingering on the Skull and Bones society, time that would have been better spent developing Angelina Jolie's character a little more. Because her character's motivations were so random and confusing. And because of this a lot of the domestic strife stuff just didn't work for me. It's not Jolie's fault--the character was just poorly developed--but her character didn't quite ring true, and as such it was just hard to buy into the domestic problems or even care about them. And with the conflict between country and family being so central to the film this is a serious weakness.

So, I recommend it, but there was a better movie in there somewhere that was just begging to be made.