Dads and baseball

Strike 3

I'm taking my dad to the Marlins-Braves game tomorrow and at this stage in our lives it makes me quite sentimental. A love of baseball is something we've always shared and my dad is a huge Marlins fan. I wonder if I would have so much love for this game without his influence.

I cherish every memory of every baseball moment I've ever shared with my father because it's one of our strongest bonds. I realize how blessed I am to have had a lifetime of these memories that not everyone is fortunate enough to have and while I know so much is made of the father/son/baseball dynamic I can tell you from my own experience it also applies to fathers and daughters.

I'm a lot older than most of you on this board although I realize there are others in my general age bracket and older. The worst part about getting older is that your parents get really old, develop health issues and become more and more frail and vulnerable. It seems to happen from one day to the next and while some of you may see it as a very distant concern it happens much quicker than you think and sometimes sneaks up on you.

Don't take it for granted folks! Enjoy and savor every moment whether you are at a game with your dad or hanging out together on a Sunday afternoon watching on TV and reminiscing about a WS game or a no-hitter you attended together. Unfortunately, one day you'll wake up wondering how many more moments like this you'll have and you'll know that no matter how old you are you are never too old for bonding time with your father. Sometimes you need to ditch your friends, your boyfriend/girlfriend, even your wife/husband and just spend that quality one on one time with your dad. You may not realize it now but you will remember for the rest of your life.

I'm taking my dad to the Marlins-Braves game tomorrow and at this stage in our lives it makes me quite sentimental. A love of baseball is something we've always shared and my dad is a huge Marlins fan. I wonder if I would have so much love for this game without his influence.

I cherish every memory of every baseball moment I've ever shared with my father because it's one of our strongest bonds. I realize how blessed I am to have had a lifetime of these memories that not everyone is fortunate enough to have and while I know so much is made of the father/son/baseball dynamic I can tell you from my own experience it also applies to fathers and daughters.

I'm a lot older than most of you on this board although I realize there are others in my general age bracket and older. The worst part about getting older is that your parents get really old, develop health issues and become more and more frail and vulnerable. It seems to happen from one day to the next and while some of you may see it as a very distant concern it happens much quicker than you think and sometimes sneaks up on you.

Don't take it for granted folks! Enjoy and savor every moment whether you are at a game with your dad or hanging out together on a Sunday afternoon watching on TV and reminiscing about a WS game or a no-hitter you attended together. Unfortunately, one day you'll wake up wondering how many more moments like this you'll have and you'll know that no matter how old you are you are never too old for bonding time with your father. Sometimes you need to ditch your friends, your boyfriend/girlfriend, even your wife/husband and just spend that quality one on one time with your dad. You may not realize it now but you will remember for the rest of your life.

I couldn't agree more with you Strike 3. Just reading your post made me start thinking about the quality time I have spent with my dad over the last few years since I graduated college. I always took for granted my family. It might sound awful but I was more interested in friends when I was younger then I am now. When my mom was diagnosed with MS when I graduated from college it really opened my eyes how important my family is. I have spent some great times and bonded immensley (sp?) with my mom and dad since being back from college, I can thank the ballpark for a majority of the good times I have spent.

Very nice post. Made me really think.

I couldn't agree more with you Strike 3. Just reading your post made me start thinking about the quality time I have spent with my dad over the last few years since I graduated college. I always took for granted my family. It might sound awful but I was more interested in friends when I was younger then I am now. When my mom was diagnosed with MS when I graduated from college it really opened my eyes how important my family is. I have spent some great times and bonded immensley (sp?) with my mom and dad since being back from college, I can thank the ballpark for a majority of the good times I have spent.

I can certainly relate to that because I think most of us go through a stage in our lives where we always want to be with our friends and don't fully appreciate our parents. Sadly, it is often health-related issues that open our eyes.

There are things that you hear when you're young that just don't register until later. Friends often come and go as do relationships and divorces, unfortunately happen all the time. Your parents, however, love you unconditionally forever and that cannot be replaced.

I can certainly relate to that because I think most of us go through a stage in our lives where we always want to be with our friends and don't fully appreciate our parents. Sadly, it is often health-related issues that open our eyes.

There are things that you hear when you're young that just don't register until later. Friends often come and go as do relationships and divorces, unfortunately happen all the time. Your parents, however, love you unconditionally forever and that cannot be replaced. Maturity has a great deal to do with how I handled my situation with my parents coming out of college. I learned a great deal about myself in college and really straightened out my act once graduating. Going out and partying with my friends on a Friday night isn't always the most important thing in the world to do. But spending that Sunday the same weekend at a MS walk with my mom and dad meant the world to them and I realize now how much more important that is then going out and getting plastered.

On that note I just bought some tickets for me and my dad this weekend.

Great Post man. I will always cherish the Heat games me and my dad go to(even if it isnt baseball), and even though, at the time, I'd much rather be with my friends than my parents, you gotta love every moment that you got with them. My dad had a cancerous cell in his eye that needed to get taken out, and it really made me think. :notworthy to parents

What a great thread. I couldn't agree more. My dad has never been the type to enjoy going to a baseball game. He loves baseball and it's something we've always shared, but he's the typical old cuban man that would rather sit at home and watch the games from his couch.. Yes, he's one of the reasons we don't sell well... =)

I have a little one year old boy now and I can only hope that he feels this way when he gets to be my age. I've listened to everyone tell me how fast the time goes by when you have kids, so I've spent every single minute possible with my little guy. And I plan to coach his little league teams, take him to hundreds of Marlins games, take Spring Training trips every spring, attend whatever events he happens to be a part of, and just be around as much as possible.

This is a pretty deep thread Strike.

You hit the nail on the head about how fast life sneaks up on you.

Baseball has always been (and always will be) me and my Dad's biggest bond.

I had to nudge my Dad back into baseball after he soured on it in 1994. I think he is finally coming around and we are planning a baseball park tour in late summer/fall of 2007.

I wish I had a dad I could spend quality time with, instead my dad is an abusive bipolar piece of sh*t. I'm very close with my mom, but I really despise my father for everything he's done. He's tried to spend quality time with me and whatnot but I always refuse because I can't forgive him for what he's said/done in the past to my mom and I. He can't show emotions, he can't say I love you or give you a hug, instead he just tries to buy things for you. He can't apologize, and the one time he tried to apologize for everything he's done to me he started it off with "your mother told me to say i'm sorry" so at this point in my life, i'm pretty much done with him. I can't stand him and I hate everything about him. I consider it a good day when I go an entire 24 hours without speaking to my father. It really makes me sad when I go to a friends house and their fathers are all great nice people, or when I go to a Marlins game and I see a father and his 10 year old kid just having a good time at the ballpark talking and enjoying the game, I get so jealous and wish I could have had a childhood like that, instead I feel like my childhood was wasted because of my father, and my mom has had to pretty much take on the role of both parents, I love her so much. People like to say money CAN buy happiness and I can't disagree with that more, I would have gladly grown up in the slums if it meant having a good relationship with my dad. Sometimes when I go running i'll see some dad and his kid in their driveway shooting hoops or playing catch or something and I wish so much I could just do that with my father, but I can't. Even if he offered, I wouldn't want to give him the satisfaction after everything he's done.

Strike3, you're very very lucky to have a loving relationship with your dad, I see a lot of people who take it for granted when I wish I could trade places with them.

Sorry for being such a killjoy, lol... you guys probably don't want to hear my sob story.

This is a pretty deep thread Strike.

You hit the nail on the head about how fast life sneaks up on you.

Baseball has always been (and always will be) me and my Dad's biggest bond.

I had to nudge my Dad back into baseball after he soured on it in 1994. I think he is finally coming around and we are planning a baseball park tour in late summer/fall of 2007.

That ballpark tour sounds awesome and that's something I wish I could have done. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and an unforgettable experience.

About that bond thing, I know my mom actually gets jealous at the amount of time my father and I spend talking baseball. There's a good chance that if he'd had a son he wouldn't have as strong a baseball bond as he does with me. :D

I wish I had a dad I could spend quality time with, instead my dad is an abusive bipolar piece of sh*t. I'm very close with my mom, but I really despise my father for everything he's done. He's tried to spend quality time with me and whatnot but I always refuse because I can't forgive him for what he's said/done in the past to my mom and I. He can't show emotions, he can't say I love you or give you a hug, instead he just tries to buy things for you. He can't apologize, and the one time he tried to apologize for everything he's done to me he started it off with "your mother told me to say i'm sorry" so at this point in my life, i'm pretty much done with him. I can't stand him and I hate everything about him. I consider it a good day when I go an entire 24 hours without speaking to my father. It really makes me sad when I go to a friends house and their fathers are all great nice people, or when I go to a Marlins game and I see a father and his 10 year old kid just having a good time at the ballpark talking and enjoying the game, I get so jealous and wish I could have had a childhood like that, instead I feel like my childhood was wasted because of my father, and my mom has had to pretty much take on the role of both parents, I love her so much. People like to say money CAN buy happiness and I can't disagree with that more, I would have gladly grown up in the slums if it meant having a good relationship with my dad. Sometimes when I go running i'll see some dad and his kid in their driveway shooting hoops or playing catch or something and I wish so much I could just do that with my father, but I can't. Even if he offered, I wouldn't want to give him the satisfaction after everything he's done.

Strike3, you're very very lucky to have a loving relationship with your dad, I see a lot of people who take it for granted when I wish I could trade places with them.

Sorry for being such a killjoy, lol... you guys probably don't want to hear my sob story.

Accord, you brought tears to my eyes and believe me, I know I've been blessed with great parents. People who can't show emotion are trapped in their own private hell and your dad is probably a very sad person.

You seem to have a close relationship with your mom and the fact that she took on both roles brought you that much closer. You're lucky to have each other. Your mom needs you too so your childhood clearly wasn't wasted and in the end it's all about the positive you take out of it and the kind of person you become. That you can talk about it says a lot about you.

I'm lucky enough to be in a family where everyone likes baseball.

Since my mother and my father are divorced I have spent the vast majority of my life with my mother. She was the one who took me to my little league games, she is the one who took me to Marlins games, she is the one who would watch the Marlins games with me, she is one who watched the entire Baseball series by Ken Burns with me.

I can't picture any moment in my baseball life where either my abuelito, my mother, my sister, my godfather and more recently my father aren't there.