Miami still Alive.

gobucks

D-day came and went.

All I can say is I have given this ownership group the benefit of the doubt since they have owned the team and now I think all the negative stuff had some merit and the only reason we have seen any success is because of Beinfest.

A solution to the teams stadium problems was put on the table. Repeat solution (with all the money)! I am not sure where their heads are?

For those hoping for Hialeah, I am told the team will pursue that site but they still have no solution for the funding gaps which are growing.

A very sad day for the fish.

:banghead

Guest Juanky

The solution presented may have forced Loria to give up some control, something he is not willing to do.

MLB has the problem....they have to fix it. The Cities and County are looking to pull the trigger....but the economic realities facing the Marlins side exist.

If MLB came in and negotiated an agreement with the city.....you have to think it's just Loria banging his head against the wall at this point.

The solution presented may have forced Loria to give up some control, something he is not willing to do.

MLB has the problem....they have to fix it. The Cities and County are looking to pull the trigger....but the economic realities facing the Marlins side exist.

If MLB came in and negotiated an agreement with the city.....you have to think it's just Loria banging his head against the wall at this point.

MLB may be forcing Loria to give up control...but unless the Commissioner removes him using the Best Interests of Baseball power he has, then Loria can veto any move to get rid of him.

Loria controls Florida Marlins, LP

"MLB has the problem....they have to fix it"

This was the MLB fix.

The MLB fix would be removing Loria if he won't agree to an MLB deal. An MLB-negotiated deal is NOT a fix.

"The MLB fix would be removing Loria if he won't agree to an MLB deal. An MLB-negotiated deal is NOT a fix."

I agree with you and some people involved thought the same initially but right now nobody thinks Selig has the balls.

What was the deadline on the repayment of the mlb loan if they did not get a stadium?

"You say the deal was presented by the City of Miami and MLB to Loria and Dade County and that Loria shot it down."

IMO he did worse than shoot it down. and it was MLB' s show.

Gobucks:

Is there any chance this gets re-visited if the Aug. 30th meeting doesn't go as planned? You still mention that funding is a big issue w/Hialeah and Mayor Robiana stated this week that the finances need to make sense. I think he's doing everything he can but he'll decline if $$$$ don't make sense.

"The MLB fix would be removing Loria if he won't agree to an MLB deal. An MLB-negotiated deal is NOT a fix."

I agree with you and some people involved thought the same initially but right now nobody thinks Selig has the balls.

What was the deadline on the repayment of the mlb loan if they did not get a stadium?

"You say the deal was presented by the City of Miami and MLB to Loria and Dade County and that Loria shot it down."

So is this a case of the team ownership just wanting absolutely nothing to do with the City and the Miami politicians? Are they just so focused on negotiating with Hialeah? Was the deal just not good enough financially for the team? There has to be a reason they turned down something, if what you are saying is true, that would solve the team's financial problems. It's hard to imagine that MLB would have negotiated something behind the team's back and if that is what happened, that speaks to a bigger problem for the league.

Why did Loria shoot it down?

Miami's chance depending on whether Selig can grow some balls or not doesn't give it great chances of happening unless Loria does something bad enough to get public backlash.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

Well, if it was a stadium without a roof or with a permanent dome, then I can see why Loria would shoot it down. It's not worth it. Why spend all that money for a stadium that lacks the single most important aspect needed in this climate?

To build anything less than the perfect facility is foolhardy and a poor investment.

Well, if it was a stadium without a roof or with a permanent dome, then I can see why Loria would shoot it down. It's not worth it. Why spend all that money for a stadium that lacks the single most important aspect needed in this climate?

correct

Hialeah with Roof > Miami Open Stadium

Anyway you can say why or reasons he shot it down?

I assume it was for the roof somehow or lack of one?

If this was the case, I can't blame the team for shooting it down. It makes no sense to build the stadium without a retractable roof. No point in building something that would only partially solve the teams problems.

To build anything less than the perfect facility is foolhardy and a poor investment.

But why would MLB sell off that point which they also think is so important?

I don't think MLB would have given up a retractable roof of some kind.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

I think the prospect of having a downtown location was so enticing to MLB that they compromised what was needed and proposed the only stadium whose footprint can fit on the land: an open air or domed facility.

I'm wondering whether gobucks can confirm anything...?

Well if you go by what gobucks has said, there was some sort of "compromise" on this issue. To me, that is either some type of permanent roof or a building that is "roof-ready". To me, neither is a good enough solution. Either you build it right or don't build it at all. But I agree, I don't quite understand why MLB would consider that, unless their only true goal is to cross the Marlins off their problem list for a few years. But a building without a retractable roof is only a temporary fix.

I think the prospect of having a downtown location was so enticing to MLB that they compromised what was needed and proposed the only stadium whose footprint can fit on the land: an open air or domed facility.

I'm wondering whether gobucks can confirm anything...?

MLB dumping the roof would make no sense. Sounds to me like an issue of control over the project or team.

I'd imagine this was probably the main sticking point. Also someone claimed Arriola was/is the main driving force behind the promotion of this Miami site. My guess is that Loria doesn't feel like going through with any deal in which Arriola stands to benefit after what he has put the organization through, not to mention deal with Miami politicians for years to come. But I would guess that (Arriola and Miami politcos) is secondary to an offer to build a stadium without a retractable roof, which has been the Marlins stated goal.