In-house Options

Malman

Brower might be a nice addition...

IN-HOUSE OPTIONS

The Marlins have some pitchers they can call up this weekend when teams expand their rosters. If left-hander Jason Vargas is one of them, expect to see him in small doses.

Vargas went through a miserable August for Triple-A Albuquerque, going 0-4 with a 10.94 ERA. Monday he allowed nine runs to culminate a particularly brutal three-game stretch in which he gave up 23 earned runs in 151/3 innings with nine walks and nine strikeouts.

Vargas has not won a game since June 8. Opponents are batting .361 off him with runners on, including a .353 average with runners in scoring position.

Look for the Marlins to bring back Chris Resop and Yusmeiro Petit, and give recent free-agent acquisition Jim Brower a look. Brower has 351 games and 5701/3 innings worth of big-league experience, plus he is holding right-handed hitters to a .160 batting average.

Vargas is curious. Is he secretly injured, has he lost all his confidence?

This isn't a sophmore jinx, this isn't bad luck or teams catching on to him. I don't know what it is but I continue to hope whatever it is is eventually found out.

I honestly think he's just getting pounded in a hitters league. We shall see though.

I'd like to see Brower and Fulchino come up along with Resop, Bostick, and Tyler.