Keenan's Gone....Again!

fauowls44

Link

Keenan resigns as Panthers manager, coach named new GM

Steve Gorten

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Posted September 3 2006, 2:58 PM EDT

Sunrise--Mike Keenan has resigned as general manager of the Panthers to pursue other opportunities, the team announced Sunday.

Along with his duties as coach, Jacques Martin will take over responsibilities as GM. Keenan's second stint as GM comes to a stunning end just 11 days before the start of training camp. He was named to the position again on May 26, 2004, less than seven months after he was fired as coach.

Keenan's most notable move in his most recent stint as GM was trading goalie Roberto Luongo on the eve of this year's NHL Draft in June for forward Todd Bertuzzi, defenseman Bryan Allen and goalie Alex Auld.

"Mike has done a tremendous job over the past two years in positioning this franchise for immediate and future success. I want to thank him for his hard work and commitment to our organization," Panthers' owner Alan Cohen said in a statement released Sunday.

"He has assembled the most talented team in our franchise's history and he has continued our commitment to drafting, developing and signing our players. Furthermore, I am confident that this will be a seamless transition process. Coach Martin is one of the most respected and successful coaches in the National Hockey League who possesses a vast amount of knowledge about the league and its' players. I am sure that he will excel in his new role as both general manager and head coach."

Steve Gorten can be reached at [email protected].

Weird timing with camp about to open. I like Jaques, and I think he'll do a good job with both roles. I just hope Martin stays around a few years, because the constant rotating of coaches and GM's is getting old.

That was my first thought too. Not that I think that the trade itself was a bad one, but you have to wonder if it would have ever gotten to that point. Plus, some reports say that Keenan was forced out. I wonder if there was some strain in the Keenan-Martin relationship stemming from the Luongo situation.

That was my first thought too. Not that I think that the trade itself was a bad one, but you have to wonder if it would have ever gotten to that point. Plus, some reports say that Keenan was forced out. I wonder if there was some strain in the Keenan-Martin relationship stemming from the Luongo situation.

Admittedly, I don't follow the Panthers exceptionally closely to know the ins and outs of every move like I do with the Marlins, but Keenan insulted Luongo big time with his negotiating process, first by taking him to arbitration, then giving him a last minute take it or leave it offer before the hearing.

I think as long as Keenan was here, Luongo didn't want to be.

Also, if memory serves, Martin was used as the go-between a few times last season so (and I'm merely assuming here) it's safe to say there was quite a rift between Keenan and Luongo.

Martin would of given Luongo anything they wanted :(

martin was the one who handled the negotiations with luongo for the most part this offseason, especially towards the end of the negotiations. so no, martin would not have given luongo anything he wanted.

this move was eventually going to happen...always does with mike keenan. he wants things his way and his way only. he's an egomaniac.

i'm glad he's gone...but i'm also not glad that there is yet another managerial change...get some stability in here for christs sake. i don't think martin acting as gm/coach is very permanent either. doing both is tough, not many do it for long.