Is Admin Beinfest History?s Greatest Monster?

Stag5

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/printart...eatest-monster/

by John Brattain

September 01, 2006

I guess that depends on whom you ask.

To begin with, I?d like to hearken back to something we discussed last November:

Despite the fire sale, general manager Admin Beinfest has done his usual outstanding job in the Delgado/Beckett/Lowell deals and gotten some nice young talent. Remember, he got you a year?s worth of Carlos Delgado for just $4 million (plus what he sent to the Mets), and as long as he is in charge the team will always have a bright future.

It?s not often the word ?outstanding? can be an understatement. The red-hot Marlins, fresh off a nine-game winning streak, have closed within 2.5 games of a playoff berth in the NL. In fact, of their final 30 games, one-third are against their fellow Wild Card contenders Philadelphia Phillies.

Suffice it to say the Padres, Reds and possibly the Dodgers and Cardinals are praying for a 5-5 split which would probably eliminate both clubs from the mix. I?m guessing that the Fish/Phillies need to win seven of their head-to-head to have a really viable shot at significant October baseball.

Regardless, if the Fish do reach the postseason it just opens up several cans of worms that make me wonder if Bud Selig, Jeffrey Loria and David Samson might just consider attempting to do to Beinfest what they did to the Montreal Expos.

Why?

Well, as you all know the Collective Bargaining Agreement expires at the end of the year. Further, as has been discussed here more times than most care to recall, Selig and the Marlins have been whining lying asserting that the only way the Marlins can be competitive is for somebody to build them a Taj Majal mallpark on the public dime.

So thanks to the hard work of Admin Beinfest and his staff, the Florida Marlins, with an opening day payroll of less than 50% of their revenue-sharing subsidies and an admittedly crummy ballpark lease, might end up in the postseason.

Let?s assume the Marlins win the Wild Card. How can David Samson with a straight face go to any South Florida politician, look him straight in the kneecap, and say that the two-time World Champion and 2006 Wild Card-winning Florida Marlins need a new stadium to compete and if they don?t, they?ll?

Um?have another fire sale and cut payroll?

I guess they could trade Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis (might I suggest Toronto?); they?d have to fire Beinfest first, however, lest he get even more good young cheap players and win the NL East.

And that just wouldn?t do.

Of course in the meantime Selig will be trying to discover ways to use the word aberration as a noun, verb, adverb, pronoun, adjective, conjunction, and colloquialism since he has to sell the idea that salary restrictions (to the Major League Baseball Players Association) and enhanced revenue sharing (to large market/revenue teams) are required so teams like Florida can compete with big money teams like the Red Sox, Cubs and Angels.

I?m guessing that there are a number of revenue-sharing contributors who aren?t too thrilled with the idea that the Marlins took their $31 million welfare check, spent $15 million of it on payroll and made it to the postseason while they?re staying home.

If the Marlins do win the NL Wild Card Bud Selig, Jeffrey Loria and David Samson may well conclude that Admin Beinfest is history?s greatest monster. After all Selig is undoubtedly aghast at any idea that even hints at making huge profits without substantial contributions from taxpayers, large-revenue teams and baseball players.

Earning money from hard work is for peons like us.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/printart...eatest-monster/

Is Admin Beinfest History's Greatest Monster?

by John Brattain

September 01, 2006

Is Admin Beinfest History's Greatest Monster?

I guess that depends on whom you ask.

To begin with, I'd like to hearken back to something we discussed last November:

Despite the fire sale, general manager Admin Beinfest has done his usual outstanding job in the Delgado/Beckett/Lowell deals and gotten some nice young talent. Remember, he got you a year's worth of Carlos Delgado for just $4 million (plus what he sent to the Mets), and as long as he is in charge the team will always have a bright future.

It's not often the word "outstanding" can be an understatement. The red-hot Marlins, fresh off a nine-game winning streak, have closed within 2.5 games of a playoff berth in the NL. In fact, of their final 30 games, one-third are against their fellow Wild Card contenders Philadelphia Phillies.

Suffice it to say the Padres, Reds and possibly the Dodgers and Cardinals are praying for a 5-5 split which would probably eliminate both clubs from the mix. I'm guessing that the Fish/Phillies need to win seven of their head-to-head to have a really viable shot at significant October baseball.

Regardless, if the Fish do reach the postseason it just opens up several cans of worms that make me wonder if Bud Selig, Jeffrey Loria and David Samson might just consider attempting to do to Beinfest what they did to the Montreal Expos.

Why?

Well, as you all know the Collective Bargaining Agreement expires at the end of the year. Further, as has been discussed here more times than most care to recall, Selig and the Marlins have been whining lying asserting that the only way the Marlins can be competitive is for somebody to build them a Taj Majal mallpark on the public dime.

So thanks to the hard work of Admin Beinfest and his staff, the Florida Marlins, with an opening day payroll of less than 50% of their revenue-sharing subsidies and an admittedly crummy ballpark lease, might end up in the postseason.

Let's assume the Marlins win the Wild Card. How can David Samson with a straight face go to any South Florida politician, look him straight in the kneecap, and say that the two-time World Champion and 2006 Wild Card-winning Florida Marlins need a new stadium to compete and if they don't, they'll?

Um?have another fire sale and cut payroll?

I guess they could trade Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis (might I suggest Toronto?); they'd have to fire Beinfest first, however, lest he get even more good young cheap players and win the NL East.

And that just wouldn't do.

Of course in the meantime Selig will be trying to discover ways to use the word aberration as a noun, verb, adverb, pronoun, adjective, conjunction, and colloquialism since he has to sell the idea that salary restrictions (to the Major League Baseball Players Association) and enhanced revenue sharing (to large market/revenue teams) are required so teams like Florida can compete with big money teams like the Red Sox, Cubs and Angels.

I'm guessing that there are a number of revenue-sharing contributors who aren't too thrilled with the idea that the Marlins took their $31 million welfare check, spent $15 million of it on payroll and made it to the postseason while they're staying home.

If the Marlins do win the NL Wild Card Bud Selig, Jeffrey Loria and David Samson may well conclude that Admin Beinfest is history's greatest monster. After all Selig is undoubtedly aghast at any idea that even hints at making huge profits without substantial contributions from taxpayers, large-revenue teams and baseball players.

Earning money from hard work is for peons like us.

QFT x1000000

Even thought Hill is a good Assistant, Beinfest is the glue that holds this thing together.

says who?

how would you have any clue that he is the glue?

Never in the history of any sport have I seen a GM excute better in trades/pickups than this guy.....

1) a player to be named later (Dontrelle Willis)

2) Hanley, Anibal, Jesus Delgado, Harvey Garcia for Beckett and an aging Lowell

3) Pinto, Nolasco, and Mitre for Pierre

4) Dan Uggla rule 5 pickup?!

5) Great drafts

6) Solid pickups such as Pudge, Benitez, Todd Jones, Borowski, even scrubs are decent like Amezaga

This guy is awesome and even though the scouts and assistants are good too, he has the final word.

One person does not make a front office, and let's not forget his comedy of errors either.

Lee for 10 cents on the dollar to sign Pudge.

Penny dumped to sign Pavano.

Justin Wayne (not Pavano) being the key to the Floyd deal.

Mota and LoDuca, neither of whom thrived in Florida, for a player who would have truly been a difference maker last season(Penny) and then having to take on a bad contract too in Encarnacion.

Castillo for absolutely zilch.

And aside from the 2002 draft, it's really hard to say Beinfest's had a great draft. IMO, he screwed up the '05 draft by passing on Hansen and Teagarden, who would have helped filled areas of need much greater, and in '06 he took yet another SP?

What the team's doing this year is incredible, but it's a produce of a lot of things. No one person deserves all the credit for the success.

One person does not make a front office, and let's not forget his comedy of errors either.

Lee for 10 cents on the dollar to sign Pudge.

Penny dumped to sign Pavano.

Justin Wayne (not Pavano) being the key to the Floyd deal.

Mota and LoDuca, neither of whom thrived in Florida, for a player who would have truly been a difference maker last season(Penny) and then having to take on a bad contract too in Encarnacion.

Castillo for absolutely zilch.

And aside from the 2002 draft, it's really hard to say Beinfest's had a great draft. IMO, he screwed up the '05 draft by passing on Hansen and Teagarden, who would have helped filled areas of need much greater, and in '06 he took yet another SP?

What the team's doing this year is incredible, but it's a produce of a lot of things. No one person deserves all the credit for the success.

yep, couldnt have said it better myself... not a fan of his drafts so far... we'll have to judge them later though

Never in the history of any sport have I seen a GM excute better in trades/pickups than this guy.....

really?.... look around at a few teams... I bet you can find some pretty good ones