Resop 1.0 1 1 0 1 0 0 2.93

Petit 1.0 3 3 3 1 1 1 8.72

combined

4.1 IP

8 H

9 R

4 BB

3 HR

We got some serious issues in our bullpen..... not that this is a new development. But I just don't see how we can compete with elite teams with this bullpen. Unless we get dominant performances from ou starters we are pretty much screwed.

We went into damage control early.

Pinto pitched well, all things considered.

Messenger's just glorified batting practice at this stage, so throw his numbers out.

Resop, apparantly, cannot be expected to pitch well unless everyone else around him is absolutely flawless and as such shall not be criticized (so says his pops) so I propose adding an extra inning to his stat total, adding 5 K's, and slashing his ERA.

Petit, well, the knock on him has always been the long-ball and that's what the Phillies do.

Herges did his job, in a tight spot, and Tank and Borowski didn't get out there. So, to me, the critical 'pen is still fine as we'd have Borowski, Tank, Herges and Pinto out in some combination 6th-9th.

This game falls all on the starter. Can't give back an early lead and let them keep adding on. JJ just was not very good tonight.

Guest CHRISTYTOD

True - JJ just didn't have his stuff - period.

If before this game, you said the Marlins were going to score 8 runs and JJ was on the mound, it would sound like a sure bet. But I guess that is what makes this game so exciting - you just never know.

Let's go get 'em tomorrow.

Im not worried about the bullpen... I mean I am, but if our starters do the job, we'll be fine

it all starts with them

If they can carry a game into the 7th inning, we're fine, through the 7th, we're golden.

That's a tall order, but it's no different than it has been the past two seasons.

Josh Johnson went from potential Cy Young winner and/or ROY to middling-ish in just a few starts...to me, at least.

Up until a couple of weeks ago JJ and Ethier were ahead of the ROY pack but Ethier has cooled-off and JJ has two poor starts in a row. Hanley and Willingham have jumped right into the middle of the race. Ethier continues to lead in OPS (*) but Willingham is now 2nd and I'm sure Hanley's 44 steals will draw the attention of many voters. There's abpout 8 guys that can still win it. I hope Willingham wins it.

(*) He's about 15 PAs short but should make them up before the end of the season.

Yeah, he's been jumped by Hanley and Uggla now, dangerously close to falling behind Scottie and perhaps Anibal.

Olsen and Anibal have no shot at ROY. Anibal could have had a shot had Moehler injured his toe a few weeks earlier.

Yeah, he's been jumped by Hanley and Uggla now, dangerously close to falling behind Scottie and perhaps Anibal.

Olsen and Anibal have no shot at ROY. Anibal could have had a shot had Moehler injured his toe a few weeks earlier.

Olsens stats are skewed by a few bad starts early in the year.

That may be so, I don't know, but even if it is I don't think a valid case can be made on why Olsen deserves the ROY over JJ.

That may be so, I don't know, but even if it is I don't think a valid case can be made on why Olsen deserves the ROY over JJ.

sorry, but if Anibal goes 10-2, you bet your ass you could make a case for him as ROY

I think Joe should maneuver his bullpen a little bit better.

explain.

Im not worried about the bullpen... I mean I am, but if our starters do the job, we'll be fine

it all starts with them

If they can carry a game into the 7th inning, we're fine, through the 7th, we're golden.

That's a tall order, but it's no different than it has been the past two seasons.

Not that I'm saying that I think he will but if Johnson keeps pitching like he did today, that's a huge hole to fill in the rotation.

Anibal's probably going to get 4 more starts by the end of the season.

If he gets to 10 wins and keeps his ERA below 3, to go along with a no-no, he's almost a lock for the rookie of the year based on the Ryan Howard standard set last season.

If he gets to 10 wins and keeps his ERA below 3, to go along with a no-no, he's almost a lock for the rookie of the year based on the Ryan Howard standard set last season.

If he goes 10-2 with that ERA below 3, then I would definitely agree. However, the lack of PT in the bigs might be an issue with the voters.

This year's rookie class is far better than last year's and that makes it that much tougher on a guy who only played a partial season. Last year Taveras came in 2nd (I think) but this year a player with his numbers wouldn;t break the top 10. This is not a knock on Anibal who has been fantastic but I don't think he'll have enough innings (120 or so) to win it against such tough competition.

The year we won the world series, McKeon rode his best relievers and rarely used his more unreliable relievers. Girardi seems to be into the philosophy of giving equal playing time to his relievers despite their performances. In 2003, Chad Fox and Urbina pitched A LOT (almost every night) while guys like Looper (when he struggled most of the year) were used sparingly.

The year we won the world series, McKeon rode his best relievers and rarely used his more unreliable relievers. Girardi seems to be into the philosophy of giving equal playing time to his relievers despite their performances. In 2003, Chad Fox and Urbina pitched A LOT (almost every night) while guys like Looper (when he struggled most of the year) were used sparingly.

McKeon constantly shifted his top guys. Even in 2003, Urbina and Fox didn't know what their role was from week to week as Jack kept flip-flopping them

We all saw what happened to Fox after that.

Riding Tank and Borowski is not in the best interests of the team or the players. This year is still aimed at making us scary good in 2007 and 2008, it's better to find out how bad some guys are rather than hiding them.

I think, sad to say, we have found out as much as we want about Messenger. Then again, if gets back the lost 2-3 mph on the fastball, you never know, but he won't get it back this year.

Fox had the elbow before he came here and unfortunately is acted up again. The innings he threw in 03 may have contributed to it, or it could have happened anyway. Agreed, Tank is too young to really push any harder. But JoBo is the closer, and you ride veteran closers.

I think Joe should maneuver his bullpen a little bit better.

oh really?

:lol

McKeon's relievers were older.

Girardi signed up to manage not ruin people's career's.

McKeon's relievers were older.

Girardi signed up to manage not ruin people's career's.

IT is the cost of winning a world series. Look at the Chicago White Sox and all the innings ozzie had their starters pitch last year. It is very arguable that it is effecting their performance this year, but they wouldn't have won the World Series if they had not gone through it.