Ticked off: Brown faults clock rule in loss to OSU

Sdrawkcab

Ticked off: Brown faults clock rule in loss to OSU

By Joe Schad

ESPN.com

Add Texas coach Mack Brown to the list of critics of the NCAA's new football clock rules.

Brown said Monday during the weekly Big 12 teleconference that the new rules, which were designed to limit the time of games, hurt the No. 8 Longhorns in Saturday's loss to No. 1 Ohio State.

"They scored with six minutes left and the game was over before we had a chance to do anything," Brown said. "I really hope whoever made these changes will go back and look them over."

Under the rule changes, the clock starts on a kickoff when the ball is kicked, not when the receiving team touches it; and on a first down, when the ball is marked ready for play, not when it is snapped.

Brown said while games are being shortened, the fans are being shortchanged.

"One of the great things about college football is a team's ability to come back," Brown said. "Now that's limited. Our game was 22 minutes shorter. That's a little under 10 percent of our game. That's not fair to our fans. We worry about them sitting there?"

Brown said, at worst, the old rules should be in place for the last two or five minutes of each game.

Of the new rules, Brown said: "I hate it."

Joe Schad is ESPN TV's national college football reporter.

I think Mack should thank the new rule otherwise it would have gotten real ugly.

Yep, the rule sucks but, based on the entire game, I doubt Texas was suddenly going to put up three touchdowns in six minutes..... It seems like the rule is shortening the actual "gameplay" time but the games are still lasting just as long as before. Its pretty worthless. But I'm glad Mack is worried about the fans in those seats.

I hate the new rules as well. I also can't stand the review system. I don't know who's in charge of reviews because I think it's different in every conference. But in all the games I've watched this year, I've seen probably 15 reviews--many for relatively insignificant plays--and NOT ONE play has been overturned. If they want to shorten the game, they need to cut that sh*t out. I never wanted reviews in college football in the first place.

Brown wasn't saying by any stretch of the imagination that they would have been in that game had the clock rule not been in effect.

He was saying that, had the clock rule been there, they would have been in a better position, timewise, to score some points and maybe mount a comeback; which I kind of agree with.

The new clock rules DEFINITELY make it harder for any kind of miracle comeback. There's definitely pluses and minuses and those last second upsets are going to have to come with good coaching and change with the game.