The Stopper Returns

PBCMarlinsFan

Guest FlummoxedLummox

And the one positive thread is still empy a 1/2 hour later... :lol

I agree, though, it was great to see JJ have a strong outing. Especially coming back after the delay and pitching as well as he did.

I'm assuming he only went 5 innings because of another rain delay?

If so, that's a shame. Might have been a different outcome.

Nope. Girardi took him out at 73 pitches for no apparent reason other than 'preserving' him. It cost us the game, IMO.

On topic, great performance from JJ.

You've got to be kidding me. :blink: Only 5 innings with OUR bullpen & so much at stake against the best lineup in the NL???

Guest CHRISTYTOD

That, to me, is what cost us the game - the other points would be moot if we had kept JJ in there. 73 pitches? My goodness... He was totally on his game too. What a frustrating loss all around.

I did not see the point of removing him either. JJ was pitching great, didn't look like he was struggling at all to make it through innings. Leave him in for the sixth and the result of the game is probably much different. Nolasco in the seventh, only need one inning from Tank, and then hand the game over to Borowski. That and Wes Helms' bunt did us in tonight.....Haven't looked to see if anyone else mentioned it, but that Helms bunt really upset me. If it was a different hitter I could understand, but why take the bat out of the hands of who has been one of your better hitters the past two weeks??

Oh well...come on Olsen, we need this win tonight!

I'm sorry but there must have been some other reason. There were rain delays earlier right? Maybe he was just worried about Josh having had to warm up & cool down several times or something...

As critical as I've been of Girardi at times this season I can't seriously believe he'd pull him after 5 innings if he was cruising like that & only at 73 pitches, unless there was another reason. Not with the lack of depth in our bullpen & needing 4 innings from them. Not in a game this important.

I'm sorry but there must have been some other reason. There were rain delays earlier right? Maybe he was just worried about Josh having had to warm up & cool down several times or something...

As critical as I've been of Girardi at times this season I can't seriously believe he'd pull him after 5 innings if he was cruising like that & only at 73 pitches, unless there was another reason. Not with the lack of depth in our bullpen & needing 4 innings from them. Not in a game this important.

Rain delay.

A 22-year-old rookie, Johnson threw 73 pitches, and the right-hander felt some tightness so he was removed after five innings.

"The rain delay in that situation hurt us," Girardi said on how the stoppage impacted Johnson's night. "He's OK. He got a little stiff, so we took him out. He's fine. There is nothing wrong with him physically. He got tight. He had to warm up twice. It was a fairly lengthy delay. It's tough."

A 22-year-old rookie, Johnson threw 73 pitches, and the right-hander felt some tightness so he was removed after five innings.

"The rain delay in that situation hurt us," Girardi said on how the stoppage impacted Johnson's night. "He's OK. He got a little stiff, so we took him out. He's fine. There is nothing wrong with him physically. He got tight. He had to warm up twice. It was a fairly lengthy delay. It's tough."

But according to the geniuses Giradi should have kept him in the game.

Give him a prize! Remember Joe G was a catcher and he knows how far to take pitchers this warming up and sitting back down is a killer for pitchers. Most managers would not have allowed JJ back to pitch but on Joe G's behalf he gave JJ a chance to get a couple of more innings work. Very likely JJ knew it was only gonna be 2 more innings and he would be out when he was walking to the mound after the rain delay. I am sure Joe G would have loved to keep JJ in longer but it would not have been the right thing to do. Hey we got beat by Delgado, Floyd and LoDuca...they are pretty decent players in their own right i believe...What We really need is a Domed Facility. Last nights game is more evidence to that effect!