Crawford shopped? Should the Fish pounce?

Fishfan79

http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/ex_rayvi...oel_sherman.htm

EX-RAYVISION

CRAWFORD'S AVAILABLE IF METS ARE

DARE DEVILS

By JOEL SHERMAN

Email Archives

Print ? Reprint

Feeds Newsletters

September 26, 2006 -- Tuesday morning shortstop

WOULD the Mets dare return to the scene of the crime? Would they consider trading another high-end young starter such as Phil Humber or Mike Pelfrey to the Devil Rays and risk a sequel to the Scott Kazmir blunder?

At the very least, they will get the chance to think about it since Tampa intends to dangle Carl Crawford in attempts to land a pitcher with top-of-the-rotation abilities. Rays officials have come to believe the only way to rise to consistent challengers in an AL East that houses the Yankees and Red Sox is to form a dynamic rotation that has a chance to stay together for a few years (think the A's with Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder and Barry Zito).

Tampa already has Kazmir and its Double-A affiliate, Montgomery, won the Southern League title behind Andrew Sonnanstine, Mitch Talbot and Jeff Niemann. A scout who watched the team thinks Talbot and, especially, Niemann (Humber's former Rice teammate) are ace material.

The Rays do not yearn to trade Crawford, the best player in their sorry history. In Crawford, Rocco Baldelli and Delmon Young, Tampa has the potential for an elite outfield. However, the Rays have determined it is easier to find outfield bats than precious arms. They believe by transplanting an infielder such as Jorge Cantu or B.J. Upton or making DH Jonny Gomes a more regular outfielder they already have low-cost replacement possibilities.

They would explore dealing Baldelli or Young. But the Rays recognize the need to stand out in a trade market where clubs looking for elite pitching potentially could trade established stars such as Mark Teixeira (Texas), Miguel Tejada (Baltimore) and Vernon Wells (Toronto). Crawford is alluring even in that forum because he already is of All-Star level, just turned 25 last month, is signed to a club-friendly long-term contract (four years at $27.5 million, including options, after this season), and possesses the ability to leadoff and, perhaps, play center field, two assets in great demand.

The Mets need neither a leadoff hitter nor centerfielder, and GM Omar Minaya wants to horde his best young starters as the effectiveness of Tom Glavine and Pedro Martinez wanes. However, the Mets could use a left fielder, Minaya's dream is to fill his everyday lineup with great athletes and, as one club official said in citing Minaya's credo to pursue the best players on the market, "if he is available, you have to be interested."

Jose Reyes and Crawford each leads his respective league in steals and triples, and the image of having them batting 1-2 and dashing the bases in front of Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado and David Wright is enthralling. Minaya has never shown tentativeness in the aftermath of the Kazmir debacle (which pre-dates his reign) and, besides, as opposed to Victor Zambrano, Crawford does not need anybody to fix him in 10 minutes. He is on the brink of becoming the first major leaguer ever to have two seasons of at least 15 triples, 15 homers, 45 steals and a .300 average.

Internally, though, the Mets do wonder how much playing home games on turf has enhanced Crawford's numbers. In an ideal world, the 2007 Met left fielder would better balance the lineup by being a righty hitter, which could make Baldelli or Young enticing. However, Minaya still believes in his own young righty-hitting outfielder, Lastings Milledge. So Milledge could be the left fielder and Minaya could address top-of-the-order athleticism and a second base need by pursuing his main free-agent target, Crawford's former Tampa teammate Julio Lugo, rather than Crawford.

It is not like that would leave Crawford hungering for suitors. The Angels have previously considered dealing Ervin Santana for Crawford. The Rockies and Dodgers have been interested, and the Astros would love to bring home a Houston native. Actually, the Yankees would be among the small group of teams who would not inquire about Crawford because their outfield is overstocked.

The long list of interested teams explains why Tampa is considering this move. They know Crawford's appeal on the market and see that as the surest way to get a major arm.

[email protected]

yes it is a NY paper, and the post which is the worst of them. But there is articles in tampa papers as well of rumors of shopping baldelli and/or crawford perhaps in the offseason.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/MGBC4ZE6BSE.html

Everyone Should Be Available

Improving the bullpen is the top priority. This is a simplification, but if you cut that 56-loss total from the blown leads in half, the Rays would have 28 more wins. They would be in the wild-card race.

The Rays have to stop filling the gap with guys who washed out as starters at Durham. Get three proven middle relievers this winter.

Don't stop there. Find a first baseman with power and move Ty Wigginton back to third. And if someone wants to open the vault in exchange for Carl Crawford or Rocco Baldelli, consider it.

That's a lot to accomplish in one offseason, yes. It's also life in the big leagues. Put up an "Open For Business" sign at the winter meetings and get to work.

Make this team something to watch again.

It starts with an open mind and ends with an open checkbook. Nothing else will do.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/15504063.htm

Philly had a trade for Rocco Baldelli in the works that fell apart.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/09/24/Rays/The...d_will_be.shtml

another drays article mentioning possible trades. Btw why are they putting academies in colombia and venn and not us? grr :(

If they want a 1st baseman with Power, we have a big lefty bat named Mike Jacobs whom could hit 30+ homeruns for them a year in their ballpark. Add into that a Ricky Nolasco whom could be a good number 3 young cheap starter and toss in a spec for delight and maybe we can get a deal for a CF/LF out of them.

any thoughts? Mine are better us then the mets or phillies.

If the Marlins are going to deal with the D'Rays, I'd rather they go after Rocco Baldelli. He is a proven centerfielder (I was impressed by his play at DS this season) and is in the Marlins price range. He is set to make $750,000 in 2007 ($2.5 million if he gets 600 plate appearances) and $2.25 million in 2008 ($4 million if he gets 600 plate appearances) with club options from 2009-2011. Plus we wouldn't have to mortgage the future to get Baldelli like we would probably have to in order to get Carl Crawford.

If the Marlins are going to deal with the D'Rays, I'd rather they go after Rocco Baldelli. He is a proven centerfielder (I was impressed by his play at DS this season) and is in the Marlins price range. He is set to make $750,000 in 2007 ($2.5 million if he gets 600 plate appearances) and $2.25 million in 2008 ($4 million if he gets 600 plate appearances) with club options from 2009-2011. Plus we wouldn't have to mortgage the future to get Baldelli like we would probably have to in order to get Carl Crawford.

This is the D-Rays were talking about. They will ask for the sun, the moon and the stars for Baldelli.

See: Gathright negotiations

This is the D-Rays were talking about. They will ask for the sun, the moon and the stars for Baldelli.

You are probably right. I am just saying if the D'Rays are looking to deal both Crawford and Baldelli the price for Baldelli figures to be much less than the price for Crawford.

Vernon Wells will not be cost effective.

Vernon Wells will be making 5.6 million next year. I'd say that's pretty damn cheap for one of the top 3 overall CFers in baseball.

But he'll be a FA after next season, and has expressed particular interest in going to one of the Texas teams.

He won't be making $5 million a year for long.

We would be better off getting one of the free agent CFs and keeping the young pitchers.

Why give up young pitching to get a CF when you can get a CF through free agency???

Because none of the FA Center fielders are as cost effective,talented and young as a Carl Crawford, a healthly Baldelli, or a Vernon Wells.

What would Crawford cost via trade, a Sanchez or a Johnson? I would rather sign an Edmonds or a Lofton and keep both Sanchez and Johnson.

(Edmonds or Lofton) + (Sanchez or Johnson) > Crawford.

I think Edmonds would cost about $6 million and Lofton about $3 million.

You are probably right. I am just saying if the D'Rays are looking to deal both Crawford and Baldelli the price for Baldelli figures to be much less than the price for Crawford.

Exactly my own thoughts.

They need a power hitting lefty 1st baseman. We can send them one and put willingham over at 1st base, sign a LF easily enough. :)

Would Nolasco + Jacobs be enough for Baldelli?

Vernon Wells will be making 5.6 million next year. I'd say that's pretty damn cheap for one of the top 3 overall CFers in baseball.

But he'll be a FA after next season, and has expressed particular interest in going to one of the Texas teams.

So one year of one of the best young players in baseball patrolling CF at 5 million for one year wouldn't be be more cost effective and smarter than signing an aging Torii Hunter for huge dollars, or a Gary Matthews (Career year in FA year) Jr ?

Even if it meant giving up one of our plethora of young pitching, you do it. That lineup would be amazing and our defense would improve by X10 instantly. It's a pipedream though, even though he is rumored to be on the block, I can't see Toronto trading him in the offseason.

We would be better off getting one of the free agent CFs and keeping the young pitchers.

Why give up young pitching to get a CF when you can get a CF through free agency???

Because none of the FA Center fielders are as cost effective,talented and young as a Carl Crawford, a healthly Baldelli, or a Vernon Wells.

What would Crawford cost via trade, a Sanchez or a Johnson? I would rather sign an Edmonds or a Lofton and keep both Sanchez and Johnson.

I'd have to think a Carl Crawford would cost Dontrelle. Don't know if JJ, Anibal, or Scotty O have enough value yet to get us a CC.

So one year of one of the best young players in baseball patrolling CF at 5 million for one year wouldn't be be more cost effective and smarter than signing an aging Torii Hunter for huge dollars, or a Gary Matthews (Career year in FA year) Jr ?

Even if it meant giving up one of our plethora of young pitching, you do it. That lineup would be amazing and our defense would improve by X10 instantly. It's a pipedream though, even though he is rumored to be on the block, I can't see Toronto trading him in the offseason.

I'd have to think a Carl Crawford would cost Dontrelle. Don't know if JJ, Anibal, or Scotty O have enough value yet to get us a CC.

Scotty, Annie and JJ have to have close to D-trains value now because so young and cheap and 5 years from FA when D-train is 2

Ok, and when 2008 rolls around and Wells is making 12-13 million a year on another team and whoever we give up for him is winning 15 games for the Blue Jays we will look at ourselves in the mirror and say "WTF just happened?"

Overpaid aging center fielder for one season > No Wells and Nolasco/Olsen/Johnson/Sanchez in 2008

Exactly my own thoughts.

They need a power hitting lefty 1st baseman. We can send them one and put willingham over at 1st base, sign a LF easily enough. :)

It is hard to say what it would take when you are dealing with the D'Rays with their history of exorbitant demands in trade negotiations. I would think that Nolasco + Jacobs + a lower level Marlins SP prospect (maybe Adam Bostick) would be enough.

Ok, and when 2008 rolls around and Wells is making 12-13 million a year on another team and whoever we give up for him is winning 15 games for the Blue Jays we will look at ourselves in the mirror and say "WTF just happened?"

Overpaid aging center fielder for one season > No Wells and Nolasco/Olsen/Johnson/Sanchez in 2008

Who would that be ? I doubt Torii signs for one year, but maybe. If we go the playoffs next year because of a Vernon Wells, it is worth it. We would be playoff contenders with him,no doubt.

1. Hanley

2. Uggla

3. Wells

4. Cabs

5. Hermida

6. Willy

7. Jacobs

8. Olivo

Come on ! That's sick. Vernon Wells would be our 2007 one year wonder version of Delgado/Ivan.

The cost is not simply his one year salary. Included is the price we'll have to pay to trade for him. And to re-sign him should we do so. And any loss in his trade value while we keep him. And so on.

Likewise, the benefit isn't just how many homeruns he hits.

Exactly my own thoughts.

It is hard to say what it would take when you are dealing with the D'Rays with their history of exorbitant demands in trade negotiations. I would think that Nolasco + Jacobs + a lower level Marlins SP prospect (maybe Adam Bostick) would be enough.

That was my thoughts as well a minor SP prospect as well B level and all. Jacobs line over the 550 Ab is pretty solid overall. 31HR, 100RBI, 850+ OPS in our park (for left good here), 271 BA, 45 2B, etc etc.

Oh wells, in beinfest I trust.

Who would that be ? I doubt Torii signs for one year, but maybe. If we go the playoffs next year because of a Vernon Wells, it is worth it. We would be playoff contenders with him,no doubt.

1. Hanley

2. Uggla

3. Wells

4. Cabs

5. Hermida

6. Willy

7. Jacobs

8. Olivo

Come on ! That's sick. Vernon Wells would be our 2007 one year wonder version of Delgado/Ivan.

What if we don't make the play offs because some of the players on the team regress to the mean or go through the "sophomore" slump?

Wells won't be the 2007 version of Pudge and Delgado because we didn't pay in the form of players for those guys. :thumbup

What you're proposing is an enormous gamble, but luckily the thought won't even cross Beinfest's head.

1. Hanley

2. Uggla

3. Wells

4. Cabs

5. Hermida

6. Willy

7. Jacobs

8. Olivo

What if we don't make the play offs because some of the players on the team regress to the mean or go through the "sophomore" slump?

Wells won't be the 2007 version of Pudge and Delgado because we didn't pay in the form of players for those guys. :thumbup

What you're proposing is an enormous gamble, but luckily the thought won't even cross Beinfest's head.

I'd say its the other way around. The thought would never cross JP Ricciardi's mind. Anibal/JJ/ Scotty O for one year of Vernon Wells is a steal in the Marlins favor. One year of Vernon is a great gamble to take, as it would put us in a greater position to make the playoffs. That's what its all about.

1. Hanley

2. Uggla

3. Wells

4. Cabs

5. Hermida

6. Willy

7. Jacobs

8. Olivo

I'm not saying that Wells wouldn't be great, but what are smoking that makes you think Hermida should be batting #5 behind Cabrera with Jacobs in the #7 spot? Seriously...if protecting Cabrera is a priority, there isn't a worse hitter in the lineup to put behind him. He strikes out as often as anyone (70 SO /344 TPA = 20% of his ABs, even more than Hanley's 123 SO /673 TPA = 18%). Batting what? 250? Not good to bring Cabs in from 2nd either. maybe rotate 5 6 & 7 around so that it's Hammer, Jake, and Hermida in the #7 spot.

1. Hanley

2. Uggla

3. Wells

4. Cabs

5. Hermida

6. Willy

7. Jacobs

8. Olivo

I'm not saying that Wells wouldn't be great, but what are smoking that makes you think Hermida should be batting #5 behind Cabrera with Jacobs in the #7 spot? Seriously...if protecting Cabrera is a priority, there isn't a worse hitter in the lineup to put behind him. He strikes out as often as anyone (70 SO /344 TPA = 20% of his ABs, even more than Hanley's 123 SO /673 TPA = 18%). Batting what? 250? Not good to bring Cabs in from 2nd either. maybe rotate 5 6 & 7 around so that it's Hammer, Jake, and Hermida in the #7 spot.

I personally would put Hermida # 2 in the order and let him do what he does best - draw walks and prolong at bats. But I figured that would cause an uproar. Hermida will bounce back and be just fine. That was just a sample batting order, who knows how much it will change between now and April of 07.