Did anyone else catch Boog's show this afternoon?

Lane1974

I was listening at lunchtime (around 1ish) and he was saying some inside scoop on the Girardi situation...

according to Boog's sources, the problems started at the very beginning... Joe wasn't interested in the front office and scout's information or input on the players; how he told them "let me watch the players and I'll decide who's good" or something to that effect.... how he refused to listen or meet with the scout who suggested the Marlins draft Uggla and get the skinny on why they did so, and what they thought of him... Girardi was non-communicative and aloof from the start. Pair this with the leaked info that he didn't want to partake in community events because it "wasn't in his contract" and you could see how the front office got a sour taste in their mouth (assuming this is all true, and you have to believe non-controversial Boog wouldn't say this without a highly credible Marlins source). Throw in his and Tuck's argument with the owner, you could see why they dont want to keep him around, incredible year or not. Long term it's a poisonous situation.

Boog said, and I agree, that he can't blame them for firing them, you can't have lack of communication at the highest levels.

The whole talent evaluation thing is grossly underplayed. He had no managerial experience and was a bench coach for what...two seasons? And yet he didn't want to listen to the Marlins front office and scouting department?

That's absurd.

remember, he wanted Cabs at 1st, Hammer behind the plate, Nolasco and JJ in the pen(which happened at the start) and who knows what happens if Pokey doesnt go awol

Guest FlummoxedLummox

can't picture uggla in LF ..did girardi want uggla out there or did the front office?

I dont remember them talking about Uggla in LF

I remember reading it somewhere but that was awhile ago. Even if it isn't true, he's certainly had his share of slip ups.

Yeah, I read that. Maybe it was in the Dave Hyde piece?

Well, those who refuse to believe anything they hear that doesn't proclaim the greatness of Joe Girardi will continue to just shrug things like this off. And in the case of one, quote from one article and simply create his own information. Many of us here could have put together solid lineups and rotations out of spring training. But somehow Joe G wanted to put together a lineup that most wouldn't joke around with in a video game.

I'm still on the fence about Joe, willing to fall either way, but have to say watching the team tonight, up close and personal, there was no fire, nothing, even with Philly trailing their entire game and ultimately losing, watching this bunting obsession of Girardi's in the weirdest situations with the most unlikely people, and then in the eighth, Meacham turning his back to Cabrera throughout his entire at bat (not that Cabrera would probably have listened in that situation anyways, or maybe Meacham just said to himself - via the dugout - let him do it his way).

These were dead men walking tonight.

This is a game winners don't lose.

I'm still on the fence about Joe, willing to fall either way, but have to say watching the team tonight, up close and personal, there was no fire, nothing, even with Philly trailing their entire game and ultimately losing, watching this bunting obsession of Girardi's in the weirdest situations with the most unlikely people, and then in the eighth, Meacham turning his back to Cabrera throughout his entire at bat (not that Cabrera would probably have listened in that situation anyways, or maybe Meacham just said to himself - via the dugout - let him do it his way).

I was at the game tonight as well.

Lets be fair though M2003, the Marlins layed down and died a WEEK ago, it did not begin tonight.

Two blown 8th inning leads agains the Mets at home followed by an extra innings meltdown for the ages against the Braves in Atlanta put the nail in the coffin.

This last 2 weeks has absolutely nothing to do with poor managing. It has everything to do with a team that had the life sucked out of them by a horrific bullpen that blew 3 HUGE games in one week.

Lets be fair though M2003, the Marlins layed down and died a WEEK ago, it did not begin tonight.

Two blown 8th inning leads agains the Mets at home followed by an extra innings meltdown for the ages against the Braves in Atlanta put the nail in the coffin.

This last 2 weeks has absolutely nothing to do with poor managing. It has everything to do with a team that had the life sucked out of them by a horrific bullpen that blew 3 HUGE games in one week.

No doubt about that, I guess it reminded me too much of late April, it wasn't a fun night for anyone.

No doubt about that, I guess it reminded me too much of late April, it wasn't a fun night for anyone.

Oh yeah, late April when Jacobs swung at every first pitch.

:banghead

Just like he did tonight

Actually the best part of the game was to two old cuban women who sat behind us and boy did they know the game and their team. It was fascinating listening to them, truly a worthwhile experience (and for the record they can't wait to see Girardi gone). They were predicting plays, watching batting tendencies, it was tremendously insightful for me.

Some of these "leaks" are ridiculous or suspect. Girardi wanted to platoon Olivo? This isn't even news. We all know he was trying out Willingham behind the plate in Spring Training. Before this season, Olivo had not put out any offensive output that indicated he would have the season that he has had. Our catcher situation looked bleak and a number of people here agreed with the idea/plan to try Willingham out as our catcher. That obviously didn't work out in ST and Willingham got I believe a grand total of one start as a catcher in April. As a result, Olivo got the majority of the starts at catcher this season and has earned his spot as the starting catcher in 2007.

With Cabs, while I wouldn't have liked the idea of moving him to first base but I can understand why Girardi contemplated trying him out at there. Do you all forget how rotund Miguel was in Spring Training/early this season and all of the errors that resulted from his being out of shape? Thankfully Cabs got into shape and has proven himself to be a fine third baseman. And Cabrera did not get any playting time at 1B during ST or this season, so obviously this was just an idea thrown around behind closed doors.

As far as the whole trying out Uggla in leftfield, that is a new one. All I remember reading during Spring Training was about Perry Hill working with our young infielders, including Uggla, on fielding and the question of whether Uggla or Pokey would be the starting second baseman.

One move I definitely disagreed with was starting JJ off in the bullpen. I was impressed by him before this season and thought he earned a spot in the rotation out of Spring Training. But I was never too worried about it because I was pretty sure that either Brian Moehler or Sergio Mitre would fail and JJ would get his shot (being first in line). I was suprised that it ended up being Jason Vargas's failure that allowed JJ to get his shot.

At any rate, with a brand new team from top to bottom it all shook out about as best as it could in the end and in the end that is all that matters.

I was also at the game tonight and thought they looked like they were sleep-walking. It was sad. I hope they perk up because this game was not fun and it would be nice to end on a high note.

On another note, David Samson came in and sat down next to Wayne Huizenga and they were chatting for quite a while. I was sitting in row 1 behind home plate and was trying desperately to hear what they were saying to no avail. I noticed Wayne picked up the menu and studied it carefully then a little while later was staring at it again and finally ordered water. He pulled out his money clip and starting counting all his money for some reason. I felt like yelling "can't believe the prices, huh? Don't worry Wayne, it's all going back in your pocket anyway!"

Boog is buddies with the FO and has never liked Girardi so it's not a shock to see which side he takes and who's talking points he repeats. With that said and although I like Girardi I think he should be fired. There are things he does that I don't like such as his recent use of the small ball approach and the Alfredo vs lefties deal but all in all I think him and his staff have done a good job but if he can't work with Beinfest then one of them has to go.

The long-term lesson to be learned from this embarrassing situation is that Loria must stay out of baseball decisions. He must let Beinfest run the show. Girardi was Loria's hire and it seems as if him and Girardi were not on the same page from the get go even on the most basic things such as what type and how much input the GM and manager would have over different decisions. This was a relationship doomed to fail from the start.

Boog is buddies with the FO...

Boog is no fan of the ownership or the front office, tried for years to find another job and failed, and has almost without exception been less than a "homer"or friend of the Fish on almost every imaginable subject, which is whatgives his comments on this one more credibility.

If you had hear heard him with LeBatard on the latter's now defunct QAM Sunday morning radio show throughout 2002 and into 2003, you would have heard a very anti-front office, anti-ownership rant almost weekly. He was as caustic and demeaning as anyone I've ever heard talk about the franchise he was broadcasting for. Even after 2003 put him on the map he was applying for jobs in Denver and New York, desperately trying to jettison his relationship with the team.

And the fact he was left twisting in the wind after Len Kasper left didn't improve relations either.

I think that the Marlins have been dead men walking since the FO leak about Girardi with 9 games left in the year. They had just won 2 in New York and were dangerously close to possibly making the playoffs. This was something the FO did not want this year, so the FO played it's trump card in an attempt to blow up that last chance. It worked. They haven't won since and they've looked bad doing it. You have a bunch of rookies in a situation where they know they don't need to prove anything to their lame-duck manager, knowing he'll be gone.

Their was just no other logical reason why that news was purposely leaked with 9 games left.

03, I admit I rarely ever listen to Boog anymore but when I listened to him he came across, to me anyway, as if he was friends with the Marlins FO. Either way, friends with the FO or not, it's obvious based on what Lane posted that Boog gave the FO's side of the dispute and only the FO's side. I would think a good journalist would get both side's of the story and then take his stand. I don't think Boog did that.

03, I admit I rarely ever listen to Boog anymore but when I listened to him he came across, to me anyway, as if he was friends with the Marlins FO. Either way, friends with the FO or not, it's obvious based on what Lane posted that Boog gave the FO's side of the dispute and only the FO's side. I would think a good journalist would get both side's of the story and then take his stand. I don't think Boog did that.

I wasn't poking at you Polo, but I'm always surprised how few people ever listened to that early Sunday morning talk show of LeBatard's, his foray into the broadcast media. It was before he saw the light, it was crudely produced and neither he nor his guests seemed to think anyone was even listening.

It was there that I learned the story of Preston Wilson and how the media conspired(and that is the correct word here, it was theirs, and later confirmed by Orlando Alezagary) to not go public with the story of his a child born ill and later messy divorce because he was so liked among the presscorps.

As for this contention that Girardi isn't getting his side out, wow, I guess we have to agree to disagree. In my mind Girardi (by this I mean his camp from Zimmer and others) has been spinning this thing as much as anyone in the front office.

I don't see anyone with clean hands here.

I wasn't poking at you Polo, but I'm always surprised how few people ever listened to that early Sunday morning talk show of LeBatard's, his foray into the broadcast media. It was before he saw the light, it was crudely produced and neither he nor his guests seemed to think anyone was even listening.

It was there that I learned the story of Preston Wilson and how the media conspired(and that is the correct word here, it was theirs, and later confirmed by Orlando Alezagary) to not go public with the story of his a child born ill and later messy divorce because he was so liked among the presscorps.

As for this contention that Girardi isn't getting his side out, wow, I guess we have to agree to disagree. In my mind Girardi (by this I mean his camp from Zimmer and others) has been spinning this thing as much as anyone in the front office.

I don't see anyone with clean hands here.

I remember when Preston's baby died and the illness was reported but the divorce was definitely kept pretty quiet.

With regard to your comment which I bolded above, there may be comments from his camp out there but what has been reported locally from his side has been very minimal to say the least and not even close to the FO leaks coverage. To say they've been spinning this as much as anyone is a stretch. I'm not saying that because I think Girardi is some little saint because I think he's only doing what is in his own best interest at this time.