Marlins transactions

Lane1974

Source

Albuquerque Isotopes icon Jason Wood tops a list of free agents that have signed with the Florida Marlins and could make appearances on the 2007 'Topes roster, the Triple-A club announced today. Joining Wood is left-handed pitcher Chris George, catchers Paul Hoover and Nick Trzesniak, and infielder Todd Sears, all of whom played in Albuquerque last season.

Jason Wood, 36, accompanied the Isotopes franchise on its move from Calgary in 2003 and has been a favorite of 'Topes fans ever since, playing in Albuquerque for all four years of the team's existence. In 2006, the popular infielder enjoyed another excellent season, batting .288 with 11 home runs and 77 RBI, most in the Marlins organization, exploits that earned him his first Major League call-up in seven years. Upon joining the Fish, Wood excelled as a pinch-hitter, piling up six hits, two of which were doubles, in 13 at-bats, for a Major League batting average of .462. For the second straight season and for the fourth time since 2002, Wood walked away with team MVP accolades while also earning the Isotopes' first-ever Fan Favorite Award.

Like Wood, catcher Paul Hoover, 30, also finished the 2006 season with a September Major League call-up after batting .278 with six homers and 41 RBI in 92 games for the 'Topes. In addition to a season full of clutch-hitting in which Hoover hit .417 with the bases loaded, the backstop, who also played for Albuquerque in 2003, was stellar behind the plate, throwing out 35 would-be base stealers, most in the PCL.

Lefty Chris George, 27, returns to the Marlins organization after a 2006 season that saw him endure the injury-bug early, but finish strong. After spending a month on the disabled list with a back strain in May, George regrouped to finish extremely strong, winning four of his last five starts while striking out 30 batters in 27.2 innings. In 107.1 total innings-pitched, the southpaw finished with a 5-6 record and a 5.62 ERA. He also saw success at the plate, belting his first professional home run on July 21 in New Orleans.

Catcher Nick Trzesniak, 26, joined the Isotopes late but distinguished himself immediately, hitting three home runs in his first 23 at-bats with Albuquerque upon joining the club on August 4 in a trade from the Texas Rangers organization. In just 18 games, Trzesniak batted .286 with 14 RBI while striking out only nine times in 49 at-bats.

Infielder Todd Sears, 31, also joined Albuquerque mid-season after coming over from the Seattle Mariners organization on June 20, but suffered a shoulder strain that sidelined him for the rest of the season after just two games. In 2005, however, Sears was a key cog for the 'Topes, batting .323 with 13 home runs and 63 RBI in 92 games.

Other notable Marlins signees include outfielder John Gall, who batted .287 with the Triple-A Memphis Redbirds last year and saw action in eight games for the eventual World Series Champion St. Louis Cardinals; right-handed reliever Mike Koplove, who has compiled a 15-7 Major League record and a 3.76 ERA in 217 games with the Arizona Diamondbacks since 2001; and right-handed closer Lee Gardner, who last year led the International League with 30 saves for the Toledo Mudhens and between stops in Durham, Fresno, and Toledo, has accumulated 101 Triple-A saves in five years. Also joining the Marlins organization are pitchers Roy Corcoran, Rich Dorman, Nate Field, and Eddy Rodriguez, and infielders Frank Moore, Johnny Raburn, and, Zach Sorensen. Of the 15 total players signed, seven saw time in the Major Leagues in 2006.

Albuquerque begins its 2007 Triple-A All-Star campaign on April 5th. For information on season tickets and mini-plans, please call (505) 924-BALL or visit www.albuquerquebaseball.com.

2007 Marlins Free Agent Signees (with 2006 club(s)):

RHP Roy Corcoran- (Harrisburg, New Orleans, WASHINGTON)

RHP Rich Dorman- (Tacoma)

RHP Nate Field- (Colorado Springs, COLORADO)

OF John Gall- (Memphis, ST. LOUIS)

RHP Lee Gardner- (Toledo) LHP Chris George- (Albuquerque)

C Paul Hoover- (Albuquerque, FLORIDA)

RHP Mike Koplove- (Tucson, ARIZONA)

IF Frank Moore- (Carolina)

IF Johnny Raburn- (Montgomery, Durham)

RHP Eddy Rodriguez- (Ottawa, BALTIMORE)

IF Todd Sears- (Tacoma, Albuquerque)

IF Zach Sorensen- (Nashville)

C Nick Trzesniak- (AZL Rangers, Oklahoma, Albuquerque)

IF Jason Wood- (Albuquerque, FLORIDA)

One free agent I was half expecting the Marlins to sign to a minor league deal is Marlon Byrd, who was still a free agent last time I checked.

It is interesting to see Wood returning to the Marlins after his announced plans to retire after last season. I am guessing the Marlins made some type of assurance that he would have a legitimate shot of making the club out of Spring Training. Looking at our roster right now, it would seem he has a chance to take Helms spot as 3B/1B backup.

It is interesting to see Wood returning to the Marlins after his announced plans to retire after last season. I am guessing the Marlins made some type of assurance that he would have a legitimate shot of making the club out of Spring Training. Looking at our roster right now, it would seem he has a chance to take Helms spot as 3B/1B backup.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Especially since he did a nice job with a similar role during his callup. I don't think they would platoon him with Jacobs though, just PH and late inning def. substitution.

I've read so much stuff in so many places over the last week or so I can't remember where or who, I recall a number of very positive comments about Gall and how smart it was of the Marlins to court him.

Honestly, I wouldn't know him if I fell over him but he seems to have something of a following and if memory serves is mentioned as a would-be replacement for Helms. Wood as well certainly looked major league capable in his September callup.

edit: Just went and looked at his MiLB splits, small sample size but appears to hit lefties well. Hmmm...plays LF and first base.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...&pid=430571

and Rotoworld's archival news bits on him (remember it's in reverse chronological order so it goes back two seasons)

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...MLB&id=1055

I would be very surprised if Koplove isn't in our 2007 Opening Day bullpen. He's got talent.

Gall and Trzesniak are promising as well. Gall could be useful as a backup OFer.

(I'm from South Korea.)

In 2006, John Gall moved to Korea Baseball League.(KBL) -> it's similar to AAA

He played at LF in one of KBL team.

Did you heard about his stats in 2006?

43 games, 26-for-107 (.243)

ZERO HR, 10 RBI...

After season's end, Of course, He was released... It's True.

:shifty

I'm not saying that it's not true that the Giants still have interest in him, but they sure went about it in a very funny manner, and Barry's a touchy guy.

This comment could be more positioning by the Giants to drive the price up for other west coast teams that have interests (Padres, A's) than anything else. I don't think it's a secret that if he's going, the Giants want him as far away as possible.

Wrong thread?

I'm not saying that it's not true that the Giants still have interest in him, but they sure went about it in a very funny manner, and Barry's a touchy guy.

This comment could be more positioning by the Giants to drive the price up for other west coast teams that have interests (Padres, A's) than anything else. I don't think it's a secret that if he's going, the Giants want him as far away as possible.

Wrong thread?

Yeah...what the hell?