Marlins No Go in Rule 5 MLB Draft

Marlins2003

WOW Josh Hamilton....haven't heard his name in a LOOOONG TIME! I do remember him leaving the Rays from one day to the next, ala Pokey Reese. Later it was known he didn't have his head on straight. This was the Josh draft - Josh Hamilton #1 overall, Josh Beckett #2.

intresting here

the Cubs and Tim Wilken drop the biggest name in the Rule 5 in years, selecting Josh Hamilton off the Devil Rays' roster. Hamilton, of course, was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1999 draft but has battled injuries and drug problems since 2001, his only full season in the minors.

Cubs are trading Hamilton to the Reds for cash.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...ews/262979.html

There is a difference between ignoring the Rule 5 draft and not picking people up.....

Thanks for the contribution...I was typing on the fly as the draft was starting and the Marlins had just passed.

Dan Jennings says they didn't participate because the pick they wanted had already been taken.

The other two (listening to Dan Jennings on the internet)

???? Martinez (never mentioned first name)

Lorenzo Scott

Whats the difference between the AAA phase and the MLB phase? They just need to stay on the AAA roster the entire time instead? Are different players eligible for each?

It depends which roster they were on.

There are three phases - MLB - AAA - AA

I believe Kevin Cave was lost in the AA draft by the Marlins

Cristhian Martinez, rhp, Tigers BIO

I missed the pick when happened (on the phone) and from then all I heard was his last name.

Good thing we picked up another pitcher. lol. Actually, not knowing a thing about him, at first glance his stats look pretty good.

I really wonder which one of the picks that were already taken by their turn came around was their original choice? Maybe Ramp will know.

Cristhian Martinez, rhp, Tigers BIO

I missed the pick when happened (on the phone) and from then all I heard was his last name.

Good thing we picked up another pitcher. lol. Actually, not knowing a thing about him, at first glance his stats look pretty good.

I really wonder which one of the picks that were already taken by their turn came around was their original choice? Maybe Ramp will know.

My guess is the catcher from the Mets that the Nationals selected since he was mentioned in the article on the Marlins web site.

AAA Josh LaBandeira, another middle infielder, to the marlins

LaBandeira hit .276 last season with New Orleans (AAA) in the PCL; had 17 2Bs, 3 HRs, 44 RBI; 37-52 BB-K ratio;

Graduate of Fresno State; 27 years old....

BIO

I actually remember him playing against the Marlins. He was a Sept. call up by the Expos a few years ago. I don't know if that makes me sad that this is the information that I retain or if it just means I have a good memory. :D

For the life of me the one thing I don't understand about this morning is why the Devil Rays, who by their own admission are so starved for pitching, would rather sell off the first pick in the draft for a measely $100k when they could have taken this kid Joakim Soria who by most reports has been tearing up the Mexican League, for a lousy $25,000 look see.

I guess that's what you get when you don't have a general manager, rather a bean-counter who prefers the title "Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations".

Just craziness.

From the Baseball America Rule 5 Blog:

"The Orioles once had high hopes for Lorenzo Scott, whose name was announced incorrectly during the third round of the Triple-A phase as Scott Lorenzo by the Marlins when they selected him. They corrected themselves and get to keep the pick. Scott was a football player as well as baseball player at Ball State but hasn't translated his athletic ability to production with the Orioles, hence his availability. Even though he's listed at 6-foot-3, 210 pounds, Scott has hit just 10 homers in 866 professional at-bats. The 24-year-old did have his best season since his Rookie-level debut, hitting .258/.367/.353 in 2006 at low Class A Delmarva. He also stole 29 bases in 39 attempts. The Marlins always have liked athletes who need polish, and with the graduation of so many rookies to their big league roster last year, their farm system had holes to fill and room for a raw, toolsy player such as Scott. He might bear watching."

Would have loved to take a flier on Hamilton, especially with him being Dan Jennings' boy and all

He may have been who the Marlins were targeting. On the MLB Radio coverage of the draft, they said afterward that there were rumors that the Marlins were going to do something "outside-the-box".

Would have loved to take a flier on Hamilton, especially with him being Dan Jennings' boy and all

He may have been who the Marlins were targeting. On the MLB Radio coverage of the draft, they said afterward that there were rumors that the Marlins were going to do something "outside-the-box".

they were