December 7, 200619 yr no one took a Marlin either We only lost Kevin Cave WOW Josh Hamilton....haven't heard his name in a LOOOONG TIME! I do remember him leaving the Rays from one day to the next, ala Pokey Reese. Later it was known he didn't have his head on straight. This was the Josh draft - Josh Hamilton #1 overall, Josh Beckett #2. Damn We could have had Hamilton he even on Heroin on a bad day is better than Amezaga and Abercrombie...seriously he looks like he has got his life back together. I am glad for him
December 7, 200619 yr I don't know why everyone's going so nuts over Hamilton. He was a 25 year old in the New York Penn League last season. That's the level that Volstad dominated and graduated last season. Hamilton posted a .687 OPS in the NYPL this past season, at least 5 years older than anyone else in the league with a "future." If he goes gangbusters, I'll be the first to eat my words, but he's got his life back in order, and I assume he'll see the rest of his $4 million signing bonus...minor victories are about it at this point.
December 7, 200619 yr I don't know why everyone's going so nuts over Hamilton. He was a 25 year old in the New York Penn League last season. That's the level that Volstad dominated and graduated last season. Hamilton posted a .687 OPS in the NYPL this past season, at least 5 years older than anyone else in the league with a "future." If he goes gangbusters, I'll be the first to eat my words, but he's got his life back in order, and I assume he'll see the rest of his $4 million signing bonus...minor victories are about it at this point. First action he's seen in years though. I think it's worth the 50K for the Reds to take a look at him. I'm sure he's not ever going to live up to the hype he had at one point, but there was so much hype at the time that he was naturally going to get a chance somewhere. I hope the guy has his $h!t together and makes the most of this opportunity, you don't usually get a second chance.
December 8, 200619 yr The Marlins did pick up three prospects in the minor-league portion of Thursday's Rule V draft, although that session was more notable for the one that got away. The Marlins were prepared to select oft-troubled outfielder Josh Hamilton, a former No. 1 draft pick left unprotected by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, but the Cincinnati Reds beat them. Before the draft started, the Reds cut a deal with the Chicago Cubs, whose first-round selection was nine places ahead of the Marlins'. The Cubs then sold Hamilton to Cincinnati about an hour later. With Hamilton off the board, the Marlins, who landed eventual All-Star second baseman Dan Uggla in last year's Rule V draft, passed on the major-league portion of the draft but took infielder Josh Labandeira, right-hander Cristhian Martinez and outfielder Lorenzo Scott Jr. in the Triple A phase. Labandeira, who can play third base, shortstop and second base, likely will start the season at Albuquerque, N.M. However, the Marlins said he will be an insurance policy if someone on the big-league roster is injured. http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ll/16192130.htm
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.