Airfare Help....

Guest FishFanInPA

Guest FishFanInPA

I'd like some help trying to find a cheap round trip ticket from Richmond to Atlanta leaving the 28th and coming back the 31st. I've never booked my own flight before and I don't know where to go or how much i should spend.

Please help!!! Ideally i want it to be non-stop.

I am assuming you mean december 28-31?

Just to warn you it will be expensive because of when it is. I will look for you.

I always look on expedia first just to get a general idea of what is the going rate. Expedia does not cover all airlines (jetblue, air tran, southwest, spirit, etc) so check those depending on your destination. Expedia also chargers a 5 dollar fee for flights, so book directly from the airline if possible.

I have never done priceline, but i heard you can get decent deals there if they accept your bid.

Let me look and see what I can find.

What times do you want?

Guest FishFanInPA

Damn, would it have mattered if i looked earlier?

Yes

The further in advance the cheaper the fares.

Its also dec 31 so it will be expensive regardless. Airtran's portion was too bad. It was the way back that sucked.

goddamn it.....i assume trains are also expensive....maybe i'll drive it.

Yes

Its also dec 31 so it will be expensive regardless. Airtran's portion was too bad. It was the way back that sucked.

Check and see how much a one way train ticket is on the 31. maybe you could fly down and train back.

What if i can find some airline miles somewhere?

I dont think it would be worth it. It costs 25,000 miles for a rt domestic ticket on most airlines. If you are using miles for a ticket and use it within 2 weeks they charge you a fee. you would be better paying the 224 than using the miles plus a fee.

If you go on airtran you can fly richmond to atlanta and then atlanta to newport news for 224 nonstop

ok, heres what you do for next time:

for holiday travel periods, you book about 2 months out (if its too early or too late its very expensive)...any other time, the further away the better. If your traveling Sep-OCT or between the week after thanksgiving and the week before christmas you can get a good fare as the flights are pretty empty. Also, travel on Tuesdays...emptiest day of the week and during the week.

message me if you still need help, I travel A LOT and I enjoy finding good deals for people, so if you ever need help let me know.

for holiday travel periods, you book about 2 months out (if its too early or too late its very expensive)...any other time, the further away the better. If your traveling Sep-OCT or between the week after thanksgiving and the week before christmas you can get a good fare as the flights are pretty empty. Also, travel on Tuesdays...emptiest day of the week and during the week.

message me if you still need help, I travel A LOT and I enjoy finding good deals for people, so if you ever need help let me know.

He is right about the fall. I was this close to going to Frankfurt, Germany a few weeks ago but didnt have the time. I found round trip on Lufthansa for $338 rt with taxes. Thats the lowest fare i have seen to europe. Oh well next time.

He is right about the fall. I was this close to going to Frankfurt, Germany a few weeks ago but didnt have the time. I found round trip on Lufthansa for $338 rt with taxes. Thats the lowest fare i have seen to europe. Oh well next time.

Wow $338...that's an awesome deal

Wow $338...that's an awesome deal

I might go in march. On KLM I found Boston to Berlin (with a stop in amsterdam) for $399. So I could do berlin or amsterdam for 399 round trip. I was just playing around and the rates are out of control in the summer. i checked airfare to italy and its 1,100+ a ticket. London is 900+

europe is only a good deal october-april

Guest FishFanInPA

well I just need to get down there and back in a reasonable way....I'd really like to not have to stop or layover because I hate flying as it is....I will be under the valium induced haze i hope.

Yes

It's about 8-9 hours (using mapquest so will vary depending on speed and traffic). I'd drive it. Then again, I drove from North Carolina to Miami for a weekend trip, so maybe I wouldn't be the one to go by on this sort of thing. :p

Yeah, this sounds about right. My aunt went from Kalamazoo (near Detroit) to Orlando for like $160 per person, and it was round trip for October and that was about a month out. It went up $20 when she booked it 1-2 weeks out tho. Good tips.