January 3, 200719 yr BOSTON ? (AP) ? Joel Pineiro reached a preliminary agreement on a $4 million, one-year deal with the Boston Red Sox, who are turning to the former Seattle starter as a contender for their vacant closer's job. The contract includes $2 million in performance bonuses based on games finished, according to a person familiar with the negotiations, who spoke on condition of anonymity Wednesday because the agreement has not been announced. Pineiro's deal also contains a player option for 2008. He must pass a physical for the contract to be finalized. Boston general manager Theo Epstein did not immediately respond to an e-mail requesting comment. Pineiro, a 28-year-old right-hander, became a free agent last month when Seattle failed to offer a 2007 contracts. In seven major league seasons, all with the Mariners, Pineiro has appeared in relief just 37 times in 185 games. He was 8-13 with a 6.36 ERA in 25 and 15 relief appearances last season, when he made $6.8 million. He finished six games last year and earned his only career save. The Red Sox need a closer after saying Jonathan Papelbon would move into the rotation this year and declining to pick up the option on Keith Foulke, who also declined his option to stay. Youngsters Craig Hansen and Manny Delcarmen, also considered possible closers, were inconsistent in relief last season. As a rookie, Papelbon was a dominant closer for most of last season with an 0.92 ERA and 35 saves. But his last appearance was on Sept. 1. A sore shoulder, perhaps figure in the search for a closer, Brendan Donnelly, in a trade with the Los Angeles Agils. They've also sign d lefty free agent reliever J.C. Romero, who could be used as a setup man, primarily against lefties. Pineiro is 58-55 with a 4.48 ERA in H�Ecareer. He was 14-7 with a 3.24 ERA in 28 starts and nine relief appearances.
January 4, 200719 yr I suggested that on WQAM a few years ago, after the world series but obviously before he got traded... that if Beckett's blister issues continued, he should be tried at closer a la Eric Gagne
January 4, 200719 yr I don't understand why they are moving Papelbon into the rotation. He was completely dominating and lights out as a closer until his injury. You can't just plug random people into a role like that. You need someone with the talent AND mindset for the role. I don't know how much more he could have done to prove himself out there. The Beckett idea is certainly interesting. Back when the Yankees had Ted Lilly, he would be awesome for exactly 5 innings. I had often thought he could be an awesome setup man, but no one seems interested in trying that.
January 4, 200719 yr I still don't like the idea of beckett closing, he's more valuable to a team as a SP. He can throw 9 innings, keeping his fastball up to speed. Piniero should get a LOT of action in ST, definetly if they're thinking of putting him at closer.
January 4, 200719 yr I don't understand why they are moving Papelbon into the rotation. He was completely dominating and lights out as a closer until his injury. You can't just plug random people into a role like that. You need someone with the talent AND mindset for the role. I don't know how much more he could have done to prove himself out there. The Beckett idea is certainly interesting. Back when the Yankees had Ted Lilly, he would be awesome for exactly 5 innings. I had often thought he could be an awesome setup man, but no one seems interested in trying that. Yea, but he felt uncomfortable being the closer and wanted to be in the rotation, the last thing you want from a reliever is one that feels uncomfortable being one
January 4, 200719 yr I think they should keep Papelbon at closer, why fix what ain't broke? I mean, why not use Joel in the rotation?
January 5, 200719 yr I think they should keep Papelbon at closer, why fix what ain't broke? I mean, why not use Joel in the rotation? because of his past two seasons as a SP weren't pretty: 6-11 4.67 ERA (2004) 7-11 5.62 ERA (2005)
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.