January 8, 200719 yr I paid $60 to sit in upper deck at Yankee Stadium ($45 face value, but it was a special occasion and ebay), so I'm hardly complaining. My dads company rarely uses their seats. I have friends coming into town for specific games, so I'm buying those online, and I'll just buy mine online and leave them at will call for other games. Probably just a very few. So while it will take a bit of a dent out of my wallet and I don't agree with it, personally it will not affect me too much...now some people in town that I want to go to games with me maybe, so I might have to fly solo to a few, but who cares, its baseball and its MARLINS!
January 8, 200719 yr If they raise prices, they should do what the Panthers did when tehy raised prices and make parking free. (I know the Marlins can't do that, but I can dream, can't I?) Wanna bet on where we stand on ticket prices compared to other teams? I would be willing to bet we are near the bottom of the list for cheapest average price. I hate this argument. First of all, comparing other teams to the Marlins is idiotic given all the seperate intangiables, but that aside, let's take a look at your "normal" read non-fish tank and upper deck B and C ticket pricing. For the sake of argument, let's go big...let's compare to the Mets. Same division, roughly the same schedule, a payroll quintuple ours in an equally crappy stadium. OK, here it goes: Mets: "Inner Field Box" $67 (non-Yankee game price against a premium opponent) Marlins equivalent: Truthfully founders-field box which is like $115 but for sake of argument, founders club MVP...$90 Advantage: Mets (-$23) Mets: "Outerfield Box" $48 Marlins equivalent: In places, infield box and regular founders club, in other places terrace box. Price range $85-$25 Advantage: Marlins, although this category is impossible because of the variance in how the Marlins and Mets sell tickets in this price level as the Marlins would be selling Founders Club and Infield Box seats in Shea sections 111 and 112 and 97 and 98. Mets: "Loge Reserved" $42 Marlins equivalent: "Club A" $45 Advantage: Mets (-$3) Mets: Outer Loge Reserved (a category I'm creating again because of the variance in pricing categories) $42 Marlins: Club B $39 Advantage: Marlins ($-3) Mets: Upper Box ($31) Marlins Equivalent: Upper 'A' ($18) Advantage: Marlins (-$13) Mets: Upper Reserved ($20) BUT as cheap as $5 Marlins equivalent: Upper Deck 'B' ($16) Advantage: Marlins (-$4) Highest ticket price avaialable for individual purchase: Mets: $82 Marlins: $90 Lowest ticket price available for individual purchase (non 'kids' pricing): Mets: $5 (in three seperate areas, Mezzanine, Loge and Upper) Marlins: $8 Now...are the Marlins still such a slam dunk value? :whistle Um... you might want to check your stadium maps again. The Mets' "inner field box" ($62 on silver game days) is the equivalent of the Marlins' Infield Box seats ($40 on premium Fridays and Saturdays), not the founders' seats. The equivalent of the founder's field, club MVP and the best Infield Box (those right behind home plate) seats are the Home Plate and Metropolitan club seats limited to Mets season ticket holders. And next time you visit Shea, sit in those Loge seats and tell me there's not a difference at the Pro's Club A seats. (Personally I like it, being higher up, but it's not the equivalent.) Or sit in the back rows of any of those three sections and tell me you wouldn't pay an extra $3 to sit in the Fish Tank. It's hard to compare the stadiums anyway, one consisting of three levels and the other two. One with 5 confusing premium (or discount) rates, the other with 2 based on the day of the week. One with no outfield, one with one and limited upper deck access. Then there's the section mapping you alluded to. The one example above is probably the best choice as they're both at field level and correlate to the bases of the infield. Yet even then we've ignored the largest deciding factors in each team's pricing strategies. No, the Metropolitan club seats are equivalent to the batters box seats. Every section I compared offered similar amenities (inner field box and founders club are both roughly the same area and offer waitress in seat service, which our infield box seats do not). I have attended many games at both stadiums and the comparisons, I assure you, are more accurate than not, although comparing the two perfectly is impossible given the Marlins pricing based in ascending/descending row number for sections (IE, 4 price levels in section 149) whereas the Mets have pricing based on ascending/descending section number, which is the way it should be, but of course cannot be accomplished in a football stadium.
January 8, 200719 yr Don't know what connections you've got with the Mets, but their Inner Field Box seats (sections 201-34) are the ones set back and off to the bases and do not offer waiter service. You're thinking of the Metropolitan and Home Plate club seats that are immediately behind home plate. I'd rather keep my $22 and better seats than a waiter.
January 8, 200719 yr If they raise prices, they should do what the Panthers did when tehy raised prices and make parking free. (I know the Marlins can't do that, but I can dream, can't I?) Wanna bet on where we stand on ticket prices compared to other teams? I would be willing to bet we are near the bottom of the list for cheapest average price. Wanna bet on where we stand on how much our owner spends on the team? Wanna bet on how much the commuity really cares? Check out the attendance records since the teams inception.
January 8, 200719 yr People should also remember that Miami is among the nation's poorest cities before they start comparing them to the teams of richer cities across the country. While the "city of Miami" may be poorer, you've really got to look at Greater Miami and Broward. Areas such as Coral Gables and Aventura clearly skew the other way, and they should be a significant source of ticket-buyers at the current (as well as the new) stadium location. We all know they are not because of team record, climate, and amenities. All told, there is an unbelievable amount of personal wealth in South Florida. All you've got to do is look at the society pages on Sunday, to see how many $1,000 a plate black tie events happen every single weekend. You just know that Sean Flynn et al struggle to tap into this market. Once you get just 2% of those folks on board, you basically sell out your IF box seats for every game.
January 8, 200719 yr People should also remember that Miami is among the nation's poorest cities before they start comparing them to the teams of richer cities across the country. While the "city of Miami" may be poorer, you've really got to look at Greater Miami and Broward. Areas such as Coral Gables and Aventura clearly skew the other way, and they should be a significant source of ticket-buyers at the current (as well as the new) stadium location. We all know they are not because of team record, climate, and amenities. All told, there is an unbelievable amount of personal wealth in South Florida. All you've got to do is look at the society pages on Sunday, to see how many $1,000 a plate black tie events happen every single weekend. You just know that Sean Flynn et al struggle to tap into this market. Once you get just 2% of those folks on board, you basically sell out your IF box seats for every game. I agree. The comparison with the Mets was a valid one. The City of Miami makes up between 5% and 10% (closer to 5%) of the South Florida population. If you look at South Florida as a whole I'll bet the per capita income is very close and maybe even higher than that of NYC. The Marlins draw from the 3 counties (Dade ~40%, Broward ~40%, Palm Beach ~10%) and not just from the City of Miami.
January 8, 200719 yr I repeat again the marlins sell (atleast as of a few weeks ago) 25 games for 99 dollars. How can anyone cry about ticket prices? You could go to all the friday and saturday games for less than 4 dollars!
January 8, 200719 yr I repeat again the marlins sell (atleast as of a few weeks ago) 25 games for 99 dollars. How can anyone cry about ticket prices? You could go to all the friday and saturday games for less than 4 dollars! I can cry...I am in town from May-August so I can't go to all of those games...but I'm not
January 8, 200719 yr I repeat again the marlins sell (atleast as of a few weeks ago) 25 games for 99 dollars. How can anyone cry about ticket prices? You could go to all the friday and saturday games for less than 4 dollars! I can cry...I am in town from May-August so I can't go to all of those games...but I'm not great then just buy 8 dollar fish tank for the games you want.
January 8, 200719 yr People should also remember that Miami is among the nation's poorest cities before they start comparing them to the teams of richer cities across the country. While the "city of Miami" may be poorer, you've really got to look at Greater Miami and Broward. Areas such as Coral Gables and Aventura clearly skew the other way, and they should be a significant source of ticket-buyers at the current (as well as the new) stadium location. We all know they are not because of team record, climate, and amenities. All told, there is an unbelievable amount of personal wealth in South Florida. All you've got to do is look at the society pages on Sunday, to see how many $1,000 a plate black tie events happen every single weekend. You just know that Sean Flynn et al struggle to tap into this market. Once you get just 2% of those folks on board, you basically sell out your IF box seats for every game. I agree. The comparison with the Mets was a valid one. The City of Miami makes up between 5% and 10% (closer to 5%) of the South Florida population. If you look at South Florida as a whole I'll bet the per capita income is very close and maybe even higher than that of NYC. The Marlins draw from the 3 counties (Dade ~40%, Broward ~40%, Palm Beach ~10%) and not just from the City of Miami. At the very top and bottom there's not much difference, but there is a difference in each area's standard of living. As well as thier spending habits. And role of professional sports, specifically MLB, in their towns. This is what I mean by the factors that influence the pricing strategies of the Mets, Marlins and other teams.
January 8, 200719 yr There is absolutely no logical reason to support a game day surcharge. It's absurd. This is a team with miserable attendance in all regards(season ticket, advance, and walk-up). Yet they have the hubris to charge the few fans that show up on game day a surcharge. It flies in the face of the laws of supply and demand. It can only hurt attendance and makes one wonder about the stupidity or intentions of the ownership. The best case is that it's a marketing blunder and will be repealed.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.