Attn: Disney Fans!

MiRi

Toy Story could be the next big ride at Disney-MGM Studios

By Scott Powers

sun-sentinel.com

Posted January 19 2007, 11:00 AM EST

Toy Story Mania, Midway Mania, Toy Story's Midway Mania -- whatever the name of Disney-MGM Studios' next big ride, Walt Disney World may be having trouble containing details long enough to hold a big announcement scheduled for next week.

Even Disney World's parent company, the Walt Disney Co., may be leaking details. Wednesday night the corporation posted the glossy version of its annual report on the Internet, and it included an unidentified artist's rendering of a ride called "Toy Story Mania."

At Disney-MGM Studios, a new ride is under construction that unofficial Disney sources have described as having a similar name and look to the one in the picture. The sources told the Sentinel a ride called "Midway Mania" is going into the building that housed the "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire -- Play It!" game. It is supposed to be similar in concept to Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin at Magic Kingdom and Men in Black at Universal Studios.

Those rides take people in tracked cars through a maze of indoor scenes with robotic characters and special effects, and let them interact with weapons and other features. For months, independent, Disney-oriented Internet blogs and message boards have weighed in, saying the ride would be based on the Toy Story movies.

The ride's actual name may be "Toy Story's Midway Mania," one Disney source told the Sentinel.

The annual report's "Toy Story Mania" picture shows cars with pairs of seats facing in opposite directions, moving through a Toy Story scene, while riders wearing what appear to be 3-D glasses drive and shoot.

But the Disney-MGM Studios ride under construction has been a secret venture that Disney officials have never publicly acknowledged, and on Thursday no one at Disney was willing to confirm or deny the picture's relevance.

They pointed to Walt Disney Co. CEO Robert Iger's letter to shareholders in the annual report. He wrote, "What you are about to see is conceptual artwork of projects we are building, developing or still just dreaming about. Some will be open soon, some may never be built."

Other pictures in the report included renderings of a possible theme park and possible rides in other parks.

"And if any of the blue-sky concepts that are shown in the annual report do become reality," said California-based spokesman Donn Walker, "we will let you know at the appropriate time."

Man that would really help out MGM. I mean, I like it and all but it's kinda small, and there aren't enough rides right now (suitable for me at least) to occupy my time.

Rockin Roller Coaster

Great Movie Ride

Tower of Terror

Star Wars

(what else am I missing here?)

Indiana Jones gets old fast, and the other shows are interesting but not really that exciting.

I love MGM. The Great Movie Ride is my favorite, even though it needs a bit of an update.

That's the first time I've EVER heard anyone say, write, or type that. Yikes. I think that ride is so lame. :blink:

Man that would really help out MGM. I mean, I like it and all but it's kinda small, and there aren't enough rides right now (suitable for me at least) to occupy my time.

Rockin Roller Coaster

Great Movie Ride

Tower of Terror

Star Wars

Lights, Motors, Action! is pretty good. Just saw it for the first time last month.

I love MGM. The Great Movie Ride is my favorite, even though it needs a bit of an update.

That's the first time I've EVER heard anyone say, write, or type that. Yikes. I think that ride is so lame. :blink:

Rockin Roller Coaster

Great Movie Ride

Tower of Terror

Star Wars

Lights, Motors, Action! is pretty good. Just saw it for the first time last month.

Oh ya forgot about that. It's pretty cool, but when you go in the summer it's awfully uncomfortable.

Rockin Roller Coaster

Great Movie Ride

Tower of Terror

Star Wars

Oh ya forgot about that. It's pretty cool, but when you go in the summer it's awfully uncomfortable.

That's why I went in December. Muahaha! :shifty

I would love to be at WDW for New Year's Eve.

Anyway, one thing I am really looking forward to seeing is how the update on Pirates of the Caribbean came out. I haven't been to Disney in almost a year and I have been dying to see Capt. Jack Sparrow. :)

I am also looking forward to seeing the new Living with the Seas (featuring Nemo).

Yeah like Mojo mentioned, Pirates isnt that different (hard to improve on a great ride). Captian Jack looks incredible life like though.

And yes, Everest is one very excellent little coaster. I recommend waiting a little extra longer so you can be in the front row. Its a Fast Pass must though.........L O N G line.

then as far as the new theme park, my buddy works for disney and he said they're thinking about it? they have plenty of land... but also they're doing a ton of work on I4 west of the current exits but it is still disney property and they are making new exits... soooo your guess is as good as mine.

I've seen on several websites suggesting it won't be built in America, let alone Orlando .. that website is an International website, and some places are suggesting China.

Just a heads on the Dream Along with Mickey....not all shows have the articulated characters....

Has anyone on here had a "dream" come true from the Dreammakers disney has for the Year of Million Dreams?? We did...we got dream fastpasses on 1/1 at MGM...we also got to be the last riders on the Rock-n-Roller Coaster before it closed for it's rehab...good times.... :)

Yea. Isn't that supposed to go in the Timekeeper building?

Correct.

I know that there were some test runs of the Comedy Club a few weeks back. From what I read, the early reviews were a bit mixed, so Disney went back and did some more tweaking of things.

And the Dream Fastpasses are nice, but I wouldn't mind getting to stay the night in Cinderella Castle. I've seen some of the interior pictures of the suite over at WDWMagic.com, and they're simply amazing.

And the Dream Fastpasses are nice, but I wouldn't mind getting to stay the night in Cinderella Castle. I've seen some of the interior pictures of the suite over at WDWMagic.com, and they're simply amazing.

I saw those pictures too. It is absolutely breathtaking! I am so jealous of whoever gets that.