State of the Union

Dodge

Jim Webb is about to deliver the response.

That's awesome.

Talk about the SOTU here.

JIM WEBB PWNS ALL.

I LOVE THIS MAN

What'd he say?

I turned it off after the second five minute ovation and about the 7th mention of "freedom." I can't get through these things anymore. They really need to put an end to that clapping bulls***. What's the point?

"WE'RE GREAT! STAND UP AND CLAP, YA'LL!"

Jim Webb is about to deliver the response.

That's awesome.

Talk about the SOTU here.

JIM WEBB PWNS ALL.

I LOVE THIS MAN

What'd he say?

I turned it off after the second five minute ovation and about the 7th mention of "freedom." I can't get through these things anymore. They really need to put an end to that clapping bulls***. What's the point?

He just absolutely pwned Bush on the economy and the state of white collar vs. blue collar.

Not to mention the Jamestown anniversary shoutout! I live 3 minutes down the road from the settlement.

We should have taken a drink everytime Bush said "freedom."

Jim Webb>The Man.

He certainly put together a strong, concise speech there.

Bush's speech wasn't that bad. The key is action to back up his words. One of the commentators mentioned that he has talked about alternative energy sources every year, but has made little real progress in that department.

I love how he wants to balance the budget, but then says that he can do it WITHOUT raising taxes. That seems pretty far-fetched.

"What every terrorist fears most is human freedom."

"We will continue to speak out for the cause of freedom in places like Cuba, Belarus, and Burma -- and continue to awaken the conscience of the world to save the people of Darfur."

"[subway hero Wesley Autrey] says: "We got guys and girls overseas dying for us to have our freedoms. We have got to show each other some love."

Those are the only three sentences in which the "freedom" was mentioned, and the first was better than half-way through the speech.

I agree that the interruptions for applause, and worse yet the media counts of the number interruptions for style points, are annoying. But regardless of your feeling about the person in office and your predeposition to be annoyed, you owe it to yourself to pay attention. If you want to read the text without the applause breaks (however is does indication where the breaks were), you can read it here.

We should have taken a drink everytime Bush said "freedom."

Damn. Wish I had thought of that yesterday. Might have saved my liver. Instead, we did a shot every time he mentioned "terror," "terrorists," or terrorism."

I don't remember much after the 19th or 20th shot... Something about a Bar providence and 4000 Marines. I don't know. My head hurts. My liver hurts. I'm going to throw up now.

"We will continue to speak out for the cause of freedom in places like Cuba, Belarus, and Burma -- and continue to awaken the conscience of the world to save the people of Darfur."

"[subway hero Wesley Autrey] says: "We got guys and girls overseas dying for us to have our freedoms. We have got to show each other some love."

Those are the only three sentences in which the "freedom" was mentioned, and the first was better than half-way through the speech.

I agree that the interruptions for applause, and worse yet the media counts of the number interruptions for style points, are annoying. But regardless of your feeling about the person in office and your predeposition to be annoyed, you owe it to yourself to pay attention. If you want to read the text without the applause breaks (however is does indication where the breaks were), you can read it here.

No I don't owe them anything. He's never done anything he's promised in his presidential addresses. Where's all the environmental help he says he's going to address? How's come we aren't going to the moon?

This President is a joke. Plus, the NHL skills competition was on (Rick Nash on the puck handling competition and then going on to win turned me on Bush; I'd probably vote for Nash over Bush at this point).

NHL Skills Competition>Worst and Most Unqualified President in US History

No I don't owe them anything. He's never done anything he's promised in his presidential addresses. Where's all the environmental help he says he's going to address? How's come we aren't going to the moon?

This President is a joke. Plus, the NHL skills competition was on (Rick Nash on the puck handling competition and then going on to win turned me on Bush; I'd probably vote for Nash over Bush at this point).

I didn't say you owed "them" anything, but rather that you owed it to yourself. How can you hold them accountable if you don't know what's going on, said, promised? That is your privilege and responsibility.

Buckeye's Responsibility>NHL Skills Competition

I didn't say you owed "them" anything, but rather that you owed it to yourself. How can you hold them accountable if you don't know what's going on, said, promised? That is your privilege and responsibility.

Buckeye's Responsibility>NHL Skills Competition

Responsibilty to what? I watched five minutes, same old bulls***.

Too bad I've watched all the other State of the Union Promises. There's only so many unkept promises I can take. Face it, it's walking into a room to lay out a plan that he can't possibly accomplish. I watched the last three and he didn't even come close to meeting the goals he set. So, what happened to our troops being home at the end of the year like he said last year?

I read the transcript, watched the Daily Show for laffs at Bush's expense. 'Nuff said. I know enough to know they can't possibly accomplish what he wants to accomplish and WHY AREN'T WE AT THE MOON LIKE HE SAID WE WOULD BE!?

So, answer me, what did you get out of the speech? I dare you to make a checklist of his promises, and check off each one he accomplishes. I'll bet you get to check off MAYBE one, and it's the promise of more troops to Iraq.

Responsibilty to what?....

I read the transcript,....

You read the transcript - that the first part. Then you know what was said, promised, etc. If there are items promised that are important to you that are not fulfilled, or other items that are fulfilled that you believe should not be, and you believe in our Declaration of Independence that is is your right and duty to replace those in government with those who will provide the government that guards your security.

So, answer me, what did you get out of the speech? I dare you to make a checklist of his promises, and check off each one he accomplishes. I'll bet you get to check off MAYBE one, and it's the promise of more troops to Iraq.

I'm not remotely a fan of this administration. I'm thoroughly disgusted with it. I've been doing what I can do to study about and find others who can lead us and protect both our physical and economic security (the economic security is, IMO, one of the most over-looked items). I will support whoever I find (currently reading Audacity of Hope by Obama - currently the candidate I will most likely support). I believe that this administration has fouled things so badly that it is going to take more than bitching, more than money, to fix things. I am fortunate that I can take a sabbatical and instead provide my full time to supporting the candidate that I chose, and that is what I will be doing.

As for the speech, I'm glad some issues are finally being addressed. However, his health care tax breaks, while I support them, I don't think they are nearly enough. I believe an additional and more effective approach would be to limit the margins and/or patents for companies that provide products that were developed with government grants - and have made that suggestion to several congressmen, senators, and Presidents Clinton and Bush. But there is so much wrong with the system, that even attacking it on these two fronts still leave the majority of problems unresolved. Wexler, who I had previously considered as nothing but rhetoric, has some good and reasonable ideas for health care. Senators Nelson and Martinez are both worthless pieces of dreck.

Social Security is in dire straits, and it got its obligatory mention, and was immediately forgotten by all in the chamber before the speech was over. Just some forthright straight talk would do wonders. But I believe the only reason Bush mentioned it was Bernanke's recent address to Congress. I wish that the frequency of Reagan's press conferences was maintained by his successors. As a nation, I belief that the populace was more aware and knowledgeable of issues during his administration than at any time since. This is another area of our economic security for which those inside the Beltway have been ignoring. We've been fighting the War on Terror militarily, but left the back door open for them to clobber us economically (with Social Security being only a smart part of the vulnerablility).

As for Iraq, I don't know the answers. From what I've seen, there hasn't been much thinking things through prior to actions. Sending 20,000 troops over, contrary to the Republican talking heads, is not in and of itself, a plan. What these troops will be doing, setting their objectives and a means to achieve the objectives, is a plan. Then, once those objective have been met, what of the future objectives for our withdrawal and how will the stability be maintained? Those are the things that weren't thought through the first time, and just saying we'll leave it in their hands isn't much better than our withdrawal from Saigon. Just leaving and saying, "It's in your hand now" will have the same effect on the new Iraqi government's stability as it did in Vietnam. But, in the Middle East, the implications of the lack of planning will be much more severe than they were in Vietnam. Just like with the health care, I think this "surge" is only addressing one out of several areas that need to be addressed. I will not support a surge without knowing the plans for the troops while there, and the aftermath once they are withdrawn.

Responsibilty to what?....

I read the transcript,....

You read the transcript - that the first part. Then you know what was said, promised, etc. If there are items promised that are important to you that are not fulfilled, or other items that are fulfilled that you believe should not be, and you believe in our Declaration of Independence that is is your right and duty to replace those in government with those who will provide the government that guards your security.

It's kind of obvious I'm not voting for anyone in the current administration or connected to it. And I do vote. But, one man can only do so much. I only hope American feels as strongly as I do, and I think they're close.

I'm still glad I watched the All-Star competition over that drivel.

I don't blame you for not watching it. You're probably better off just reading about it later. The clapping and pauses get annoying.

I watched it all the way through, and I thought that Jim Webb's rebuttal was excellent.

I didn't think Bush had a bad speech, but just average. The key is if he will actually follow through on his proposed plans. He has not done so in the past, so I'm not holding out much hope.