WPLG Local 10 Management Against New Stadium

MiamiMarlins13

I have seen the VP and General Manager of WPLG Channel 10 on the air after newscasts broadcasting editorials on it and now I saw it on their website. Personally, I will NEVER give them any of my time to watch their newscast EVER AGAIN!!!!! I hope that their ratings plummet to the ground!!!

:thumbdown :mad :o :blink: :thumbdown :mad :thumbdown :mad :blink:

WPLG Editorial: Projects Suffer While Marlins Get Money (03/04/07)

Florida's speaker of the house forecasts a down year for sales tax revenues, so he warns lawmakers not to expect funding for hundreds of important local projects. Yet, a multi-million dollar sales tax break for the Florida Marlins is OK? That's plain wrong.

After striking out no less than five times, the push for a $60 million giveaway to the Marlins for its $500,000 billion new stadium now has big fans in Tallahassee.

In fact, it passed its first committee within days of a belt-tightening memo that lists pages of local projects the state probably won't be able to afford -- things like food-for-the-poor programs, flood prevention projects and hundreds more.

But wait, there's more. There's the plan to do away with property tax and replace the revenue with a higher sales tax. With that kind of business plan does a $60 million subsidy for the Marlins' millionaire owners make sense? That's like letting the kids spend grocery money on a Playstation, only millions of dollars worse.

That brand new, retractable roof stadium sure does sound nice. But in the state's current financial climate it doesn't seem very necessary.

That's our take on things. Let us know what you think.

I have seen the VP and General Manager of WPLG Channel 10 on the air after newscasts broadcasting editorials on it and now I saw it on their website. Personally, I will NEVER give them any of my time to watch their newscast EVER AGAIN!!!!! I hope that their ratings plummet to the ground!!!

:thumbdown :mad :o :blink: :thumbdown :mad :thumbdown :mad :blink:

WPLG Editorial: Projects Suffer While Marlins Get Money (03/04/07)

Florida's speaker of the house forecasts a down year for sales tax revenues, so he warns lawmakers not to expect funding for hundreds of important local projects. Yet, a multi-million dollar sales tax break for the Florida Marlins is OK? That's plain wrong.

After striking out no less than five times, the push for a $60 million giveaway to the Marlins for its $500,000 billion new stadium now has big fans in Tallahassee.

In fact, it passed its first committee within days of a belt-tightening memo that lists pages of local projects the state probably won't be able to afford -- things like food-for-the-poor programs, flood prevention projects and hundreds more.

But wait, there's more. There's the plan to do away with property tax and replace the revenue with a higher sales tax. With that kind of business plan does a $60 million subsidy for the Marlins' millionaire owners make sense? That's like letting the kids spend grocery money on a Playstation, only millions of dollars worse.

That brand new, retractable roof stadium sure does sound nice. But in the state's current financial climate it doesn't seem very necessary.

That's our take on things. Let us know what you think.

The rebate doesn't kick in until 2011. So it is not about this year.

just ignore this crap and don't lose any sleep over it. This has zero effect on what happens in Tallahasee

$500,000 billion?

That's a hell of stadium they want to build in downtown. :whistle

Who covers that overrun? :shifty

bush or cheney really outta pay for something...i mean sh*t, they have two free wars going (end thread hijack)

*zing*

And a couple of good ones.

Give the contract to Halliburton, have Accord come back from Iraq and supervise the operation, and have the new state reinsurance fund guarantee overruns....plus there's probably a decent centerfielder in the military.....and it all comes together full circle.

I think WPLG's comments are absurd & grossly ignorant of the facts. I'm sure I've wasted my time (especially given that their sports director is noted Marlins-hater Jimmy Cefalo), but for what its worth, I emailed WPLG (editorials@local10.com) my reply:

"Dear WPLG Editorial Board:

You should be ashamed for your editorial regarding the Florida Marlins stadium,

as your comments reflect an absolute lack of understanding of the facts and issues.

The State would not be handing the Marlins $60 million, or any money for that matter,

that would come at the expense of food-for-the poor, flood prevention, or anything

else for that matter. The way the sales tax subsidy actually works is for 30 years,

the Marlins would not have to remit to the State the first $2 million of sales taxes

they collect.

There is zero chance the team will survive in Florida for 30 more years without

the revenue provided by their own stadium. Zero. If the Marlins move from Florida,

the State will lose all sales tax revenue that would have been generated by the

Marlins. It could be argued that your position jeopardizes countless food-for-the-poor

programs, etc. by eliminating all Marlins-related sales-tax revenue for the State,

not just the first $2 million.

Every recent stadium deal in the United States involved the vast majority of the

money coming from public funds - look at the Washington Nationals as an example.

Forward-thinking politicians recognize the fact that a Major League Baseball team

is a great community asset.

Furthermore, you are greatly over-hyping the issue by referring to this as a "$60

million giveaway." Due to something called the "time value" of money,

30 annual installments of $2 million is not worth $60 million, they are worth approximately

$30 million. This is the same principle in use by every state lottery in the country

(when they say you win $1 million, but you read the fine print to see that's

actually 20 annual installments of $50,000). With the sales tax subsidy, the state

sells bonds to investors that are paid off by the $2 million annual amount. The

Marlins then get the use of the bond proceeds, which will be $30 million, not $60

million.

The bottom line is your comments were truly made out of ignorance, and for the good

of the South Florida community, hopefully no one will pay them much attention."