Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The fifth spot

Featured Replies

The way I see it, Petit and Garcia are the two main horses going for JJ's spot in the rotation.

 

Who do you see coming away with it? Any dark-horses?

 

My gut (and guess) says Petit. I know that Beinfest is really high on him (as am I, still), and I really think that after today's showing he's made the job his to lose. A solid spring and Petit's the man.

 

Who you got?

Didn't see the game of course, but from the box score Petit looked great today. I see Petit getting the fifth spot most likely.

Considering we have 2 spots open with imo, only 3 legit options in Garcia, Mitre, and Petit... I don't think its necessary Benched

  • Author

Considering we have 2 spots open with imo, only 3 legit options in Garcia, Mitre, and Petit... I don't think its necessary Benched

 

Maybe I missed something, but isn't Nolasco still here and staying in the rotation?

as long as hes pitching in joe robbie petit should get the nod. box score looked great for him today except for the 0 ground balls

I'm not ready to crown Petit the fifth starter just yet. I'd like to see a few more consistant starts out of him before then.

I'm not ready to crown Petit the fifth starter just yet. I'd like to see a few more consistant starts out of him before then.

If we want to crown him, we'll crown his ass. That is all.

Considering we have 2 spots open with imo, only 3 legit options in Garcia, Mitre, and Petit... I don't think its necessary Benched

 

Maybe I missed something, but isn't Nolasco still here and staying in the rotation?

Sorry, I'm an idiot

I'm not ready to crown Petit the fifth starter just yet. I'd like to see a few more consistant starts out of him before then.

If we want to crown him, we'll crown his ass. That is all.

 

We need to see more from Petit. I know I might get assassinated for saying it on this board, but I think Mitre will start the season and should. Petit has shown nothing in the Big Leagues, and Mitre has at least shutdown a handfew of games in his career. Petit will end up getting the nod with consistent outings out of the pen, and hopefully he will get that nod in April, but I think you have to suffer with Mitre for a time, instead of just throwing the kid out there, as a solid rotation thrower.

 

We also do not want Mitre in the pen to start things off. He is a far worse reliever than he is a starter. Anyone else disappointed in how Gregg looked today? It was beyond horrible.

  • Author

I'm not ready to crown Petit the fifth starter just yet. I'd like to see a few more consistant starts out of him before then.

If we want to crown him, we'll crown his ass. That is all.

 

We need to see more from Petit. I know I might get assassinated for saying it on this board, but I think Mitre will start the season and should. Petit has shown nothing in the Big Leagues, and Mitre has at least shutdown a handfew of games in his career. Petit will end up getting the nod with consistent outings out of the pen, and hopefully he will get that nod in April, but I think you have to suffer with Mitre for a time, instead of just throwing the kid out there, as a solid rotation thrower.

 

We also do not want Mitre in the pen to start things off. He is a far worse reliever than he is a starter. Anyone else disappointed in how Gregg looked today? It was beyond horrible.

 

If by "shutdown" you mean "started" then OK.

 

He's started 25 career games, has a career ERA over 6 and has a career WHIP over 1.6

I'm not ready to crown Petit the fifth starter just yet. I'd like to see a few more consistant starts out of him before then.

If we want to crown him, we'll crown his ass. That is all.

 

We need to see more from Petit. I know I might get assassinated for saying it on this board, but I think Mitre will start the season and should. Petit has shown nothing in the Big Leagues, and Mitre has at least shutdown a handfew of games in his career. Petit will end up getting the nod with consistent outings out of the pen, and hopefully he will get that nod in April, but I think you have to suffer with Mitre for a time, instead of just throwing the kid out there, as a solid rotation thrower.

 

We also do not want Mitre in the pen to start things off. He is a far worse reliever than he is a starter. Anyone else disappointed in how Gregg looked today? It was beyond horrible.

 

I know he has a horrible career line, but all Petit did today was something Mitre could have done and has done in REAL games in the past.

 

April 10th, 2004 against ATL: 7.2 IP, 5 hits, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K

June 8th, 2005 against TOT: 7.0, 2 hits, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K

 

and of course we can't forget...

 

June 14th, 2005 against FLA: 9.0 IP, 5 hits, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K

 

 

Mitre has done this before, that's why he will and should get at least the nod to start the season, and will likely get a couple of starts at the very minimum. I still Petit needs to prove himself, before we start calling him the 5th Starter.

 

If by "shutdown" you mean "started" then OK.

 

He's started 25 career games, has a career ERA over 6 and has a career WHIP over 1.6

  • Author

So you'd rather give a guy a spot by defalut because he's had one or two good games 3 years ago?

 

That's brilliant.

So you'd rather give a guy a spot by defalut because he's had one or two good games 3 years ago?

 

That's brilliant.

 

You know what else is brilliant? Giving the ball to a 23 year old kid with 26 innings of experience in which he has given up 28 EARNED runs and 46 hits. Let's give the ball to a kid who has had 2 DECENT outings that only lasted 1 inning each.

 

That's a much better decision.

So you'd rather give a guy a spot by defalut because he's had one or two good games 3 years ago?

 

That's brilliant.

 

You know what else is brilliant? Giving the ball to a 23 year old kid with 26 innings of experience in which he has given up 28 EARNED runs and 46 hits. Let's give the ball to a kid who has had 2 DECENT outings that only lasted 1 inning each.

 

That's a much better decision.

here's an idea...

 

give the ball to who EARNS it.

So you'd rather give a guy a spot by defalut because he's had one or two good games 3 years ago?

 

That's brilliant.

 

You know what else is brilliant? Giving the ball to a 23 year old kid with 26 innings of experience in which he has given up 28 EARNED runs and 46 hits. Let's give the ball to a kid who has had 2 DECENT outings that only lasted 1 inning each.

 

That's a much better decision.

here's an idea...

 

give the ball to who EARNS it.

 

I wish that's the way professional baseball worked. But it doesn't work that way. If it did, Wood, De Aza, Borchard, and Carroll would all be starting the season, opening day.

 

And, I definitely don't think Petit has earned it. Not even close.

So you'd rather give a guy a spot by defalut because he's had one or two good games 3 years ago?

 

That's brilliant.

 

You know what else is brilliant? Giving the ball to a 23 year old kid with 26 innings of experience in which he has given up 28 EARNED runs and 46 hits. Let's give the ball to a kid who has had 2 DECENT outings that only lasted 1 inning each.

 

That's a much better decision.

here's an idea...

 

give the ball to who EARNS it.

 

I wish that's the way professional baseball worked. But it doesn't work that way. If it did, Wood, De Aza, Borchard, and Carroll would all be starting the season, opening day.

 

And, I definitely don't think Petit has earned it. Not even close.

Considering both have stunk in their major league appearance, whoever pitches better this spring will probably get the job(this includes Jose Garcia too)

 

and why would Wood, De Aza, Borchard, and Carroll all start? That's ridiculous and you know it.

So you'd rather give a guy a spot by defalut because he's had one or two good games 3 years ago?

 

That's brilliant.

 

You know what else is brilliant? Giving the ball to a 23 year old kid with 26 innings of experience in which he has given up 28 EARNED runs and 46 hits. Let's give the ball to a kid who has had 2 DECENT outings that only lasted 1 inning each.

 

That's a much better decision.

here's an idea...

 

give the ball to who EARNS it.

 

I wish that's the way professional baseball worked. But it doesn't work that way. If it did, Wood, De Aza, Borchard, and Carroll would all be starting the season, opening day.

 

And, I definitely don't think Petit has earned it. Not even close.

Considering both have stunk in their major league appearance, whoever pitches better this spring will probably get the job(this includes Jose Garcia too)

 

and why would Wood, De Aza, Borchard, and Carroll all start? That's ridiculous and you know it.

 

Garcia definitely deserves to be in the talk for the 5th spot, I think. Petit pitched great today, he really did, and I got more excited than anyone about his 3 innings. But, 3 good innings in ST doesn't make anyone a starter, unless your Dice-K of course. Ha.

 

I know it is ridiculous. That's my point. All of these guys have been productive and shown great effort this spring. If anyone has earned a spot based on this Spring, they have.

I'm not ready to crown Petit the fifth starter just yet. I'd like to see a few more consistant starts out of him before then.

If we want to crown him, we'll crown his ass. That is all.

 

Well crown his ass and two months from now we might all hear the moaning and b****ing that goes on around here when some body isn't very good. I hope this isn't the case for Petit, but it wouldn't be the first time.

I still wish Pinto could get a shot...

 

I think Pinto is an outstanding candidate but still needs to work on his walk rate. He has some nasty stuff, but I think he tries to finesse it too much at times.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.