Beer is my friend.

I've always wondered about how each beer has a specific glass it's ideally supposed to be drank out of. How do they determine the shape the glass is supposed to be?

Here's a GREAT tutorial on Beer Advocate:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware.php

Basically, it's in the presentation as well as drinkability. With the Chimay, for example, you want to use a goblet shaped glass because it's shape helps to maintain the head of the beer while also allowing the drinker to "flush" their entire mouth with beer. If you try drinking this from a bottle [the opposite extreme], for example, you will not have an opportunity to enjoy the head of the beer and the amount of beer you get in a swig is severely diminished. So, you can wash your whole mouth in the beer or you can leak beer onto your tongue. Which sounds better to you? :beer

I've always wondered about how each beer has a specific glass it's ideally supposed to be drank out of. How do they determine the shape the glass is supposed to be?

Basically, it's in the presentation as well as drinkability. With the Chimay, for example, you want to use a goblet shaped glass because it's shape helps to maintain the head of the beer while also allowing the drinker to "flush" their entire mouth with beer. If you try drinking this from a bottle [the opposite extreme], for example, you will not have an opportunity to enjoy the head of the beer and the amount of beer you get in a swig is severely diminished. So, you can wash your whole mouth in the beer or you can leak beer onto your tongue. Which sounds better to you? :beer

Yep. Similar to wines. That bar I talk about in Hollywood, PRL, the owner always gives the correct glass with each beer. Very important to serve at the right temp. too, some beers believe it or not are better served on the warmer side.

Also, a common mistake is to freeze the glass or chill it in ice. Thats a big no no. The glass should always be room temperature, as the ice particles will melt in the beer and make the beer watered down dramatically changing the flavor profile.

Cool man, thanks. That website is great.

Yankeefan or anybody else...you guys ever tried to brew your own beer?

Funny you should ask, I actually got a brew kit for Christmas. I had a little trouble getting my yeast active on my first try [i guess the closet was too cold or something] but I tried to keep going anyway. Yeah... it tasted like Meister Chow. I immediately chucked the batch and shaved my tongue.

I'll be trying a nut brown when the weather is closer to a consistent 70 degrees or so. Lesson learned!

On the plus side, I discovered that my anal retentive disinfection process worked well and I didn't get that nasty band aide taste you get from "dirty" beer. So I guess I have nowhere to go from here but up!

The Reverend, a Belgian style quadruple ale. Really, really tasty and extremely smooth considering it was 10% alcohol. Highly recommend it.

Yeah, that's a pretty good beer. A little fruity for my taste, but I was immediately drawn to their Mephistopheles Stout. Wow! Now THAT is a good stout!

WARNING!!! Mephistopheles Stout is 16% ABV!!!

The Reverend, a Belgian style quadruple ale. Really, really tasty and extremely smooth considering it was 10% alcohol. Highly recommend it.

Yeah, that's a pretty good beer. A little fruity for my taste, but I was immediately drawn to their Mephistopheles Stout. Wow! Now THAT is a good stout!

I must find and try this beer.

ohh looks good. The Reverend was a little on the sweet side, but I think they just went well with the VSG's we were smoking. This cigar bar only sold beer and wine.

I'm a bit biased to Colorado micro brews but a few of my favorites are...

You know, I've tried about a dozen of the TommyKnocker offerings [imperial Nut Brown was probably the best] and thought they were okay. I swear to you, though, try something from the Dillon Dam Brewery if you can. I would put their Yo Han Bock up against the ButtHead Bock any day of the week. I'd also pick their Sweet George's over the TommyKnocker Maple because it has just a hint of sweet caramel versus the Maple's overpowering flavor.

If you don't like it, let me know and I will send you a check for $4.00 to pay you back for the beer!

The Dillon Dam Brewery does have some great beer. Now if there was only some way to convince the Mountain Sun Brewery in Boulder to start selling their beer outside of their pubs.

I'm a bit biased to Colorado micro brews but a few of my favorites are...

You know, I've tried about a dozen of the TommyKnocker offerings [imperial Nut Brown was probably the best] and thought they were okay. I swear to you, though, try something from the Dillon Dam Brewery if you can. I would put their Yo Han Bock up against the ButtHead Bock any day of the week. I'd also pick their Sweet George's over the TommyKnocker Maple because it has just a hint of sweet caramel versus the Maple's overpowering flavor.

If you don't like it, let me know and I will send you a check for $4.00 to pay you back for the beer!

The Dillon Dam Brewery does have some great beer. Now if there was only some way to convince the Mountain Sun Brewery in Boulder to start selling their beer outside of their pubs.

Some Brewery's will sell you a jug of it if you go straight to the brewery.

Some Brewery's will sell you a jug of it if you go straight to the brewery.

Yeah, they call them "Growlers." It's around 2 liters of beer. The only thing about a growler is that once you open it, you pretty much need to finish the beer within 24 hours or it starts to go flat.

Went to World Markets and made my own six pack...

Just had #1 last night, Dos Equis lager....it was ok, nothing special.

If you give me a list of your 3 favorite beers of all time I am usually good at figuring out about a dozen other beers you will like better. A couple of my buddies and I used to have a competition to see who could recommend the best beer to a person. I was the King. [look 4 posts back - my $4 is safe!] :king

Went to World Markets and made my own six pack...

Just had #1 last night, Dos Equis lager....it was ok, nothing special.

What else is in the 6 pack?

Red Haze, Guinness Draught, Warsteiner, Pilsner Uquell, San Miguel lager.

I kinda liked Dos Equis but Red Haze wasn't to my chagrin. I think it may have been the subtle raspberry taste (or something, who knows)