Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Old Music Thread

Featured Replies

Is there anyone else out there who loves 'Pet Sounds' but thinks most anything else by The Beach Boys sucks?

 

Basically, though I have to admit, Smile was great too.

 

And their early singles are some of the best around.

 

But everyone my age seems to love "Kokomo". Thats not even a real Beach Boys song...

Manchester. Possibly the best musical talent. Check out:

 

The Stone Roses - "The Stone Roses"

New Order - "Substance"

Happy Mondays - "Pills n' Thrills n' Bellyaches"

Oasis - "Definitely Maybe"

The Chemical Brothers - "Dig Your Own Hole"

The Verve - "The Verve"

The Smiths - "The Queen Is Dead"

Joy Division - "Closer"

any of the solo works of Ian Brown or Morrissey.

 

At one point, this was the cradle for pop/rock. Unreal talents.

 

That's just the tip of the iceberg!! If you enjoy the "Madchester Sound," check out the movie 24 Hour Party People which is basically the history of Factory Records - the home of Joy Division, Happy Mondays, etc.

 

You skipped out on other bands like:

 

The Chameleons UK

Inspiral Carpets

James

Northside

Electronic

808 State

 

And then, of course, "Madchester" begat "Baggy" and the great line of bands that descended from there:

 

Blur

Farm

Soup Dragons

Top

Candyskins

My Jealous God

Ocean Colour Scene

Charlatans

Mock Turtles

Flowered Up

New Fast Automatic Daffodils

World of Twist

Real People

 

...and finally, I am a huge fan of the old "dream pop/shoegazing" bands:

 

Lush

Ride

My Bloddy Valentine

Swervedriver

Curve

Catherine Wheel

Cocteau Twins

Galaxie 500

Cranes

 

Wow, that just took me back to college.....

Is there anyone else out there who loves 'Pet Sounds' but thinks most anything else by The Beach Boys sucks?

 

 

 

I feel pretty much the same. I wouldnt go as far as to say the rest sucks but it doesnt stand up to Pet Sounds.

 

 

 

But cmon, "God Only Knows"??????

 

 

Its just a sick song that gives me goosebumps at every listen.

Manchester. Possibly the best musical talent. Check out:

 

The Stone Roses - "The Stone Roses"

New Order - "Substance"

Happy Mondays - "Pills n' Thrills n' Bellyaches"

Oasis - "Definitely Maybe"

The Chemical Brothers - "Dig Your Own Hole"

The Verve - "The Verve"

The Smiths - "The Queen Is Dead"

Joy Division - "Closer"

any of the solo works of Ian Brown or Morrissey.

 

At one point, this was the cradle for pop/rock. Unreal talents.

 

That's just the tip of the iceberg!! If you enjoy the "Madchester Sound," check out the movie 24 Hour Party People which is basically the history of Factory Records - the home of Joy Division, Happy Mondays, etc.

 

You skipped out on other bands like:

 

The Chameleons UK

Inspiral Carpets

James

Northside

Electronic

808 State

 

And then, of course, "Madchester" begat "Baggy" and the great line of bands that descended from there:

 

Blur

Farm

Soup Dragons

Top

Candyskins

My Jealous God

Ocean Colour Scene

Charlatans

Mock Turtles

Flowered Up

New Fast Automatic Daffodils

World of Twist

Real People

 

...and finally, I am a huge fan of the old "dream pop/shoegazing" bands:

 

Lush

Ride

My Bloddy Valentine

Swervedriver

Curve

Catherine Wheel

Cocteau Twins

Galaxie 500

Cranes

 

Wow, that just took me back to college.....

 

Awesome!!! I thought I was the only one that was crazy for the Manchester scene. Holy cow. I have the 24 Hour Party People. Great scene. I can appreciate The Farm, The Charlatans, Soup Dragons, and Ocean Colour Scene as well. Good to see that someone esle shares a taste for this scene and the amazing, amazing music that came from it. Don't forget Primal Scream as a great band that stemmed from it.

I really don't get the Madchester sound. I do like New Order, but I'm not so sure they count. Joy Division is one of those bands I just can't get into. Some of that stuff is alright, but in general it's not my thing. I watched 24 Hour Party People and it did nothing to change my mind.

 

Shoegaze, on the other hand, I have been getting into...basically because I noticed that a lot of my new favorite bands were being described as shoegaze-ish...so, I've started going back and listening to the older stuff.

 

You forgot Slowdive on your shoegaze list, and some people consider The Jesus and Mary Chain to be the grandfather of that kind of music.

My favorite shoegaze acts are The Verve (not to be confused with the Verve Pipe) and Teenage Fanclub.

 

 

Oh and.......totally agreed with Mabdul in terms of Joy Division. Love Will Tear Us Apart is a pretty good song but its clearly evident to me that Bernard Sumner was a better songwriter than Ian Curtis.

 

New Order has so many great tracks and its the same band with the exception of Curtis.

I love The Verve's self titled album. The Stone Roses' self titled debut is probably my favorite album ever, check it out if you havent. It'll change your life. Haha.

One of my other favorite "old" musical genres is the sound that was before grunge, that "Minneapolis Punk/Rock" that brought forth H?sker D? and The Replacements!

One of my other favorite "old" musical genres is the sound that was before grunge, that "Minneapolis Punk/Rock" that brought forth H?sker D? and The Replacements!

Minneapolis still has one of the best music scenes around.

 

Love me some Motion City Soundtrack.

Been listening to Paul McCartney's last album Chaos And Creation In The Backyard. That album is simply phenomenal, and if you haven't heard it, do yourself a favor and get it.

  • 2 weeks later...

Weird album. Overrated in some circles, never heard in most circles. Pretty good, though. Haven't listened to it in years...I should probably download and revisit.

  • Author

I was talking about it with my brother at dinner yesterday and he absolutely swears by it where I just think of it as, 'good'. On RateYourMusic.com I think it is rated by the users as one of the top 50 albums of all-time.

 

The 2nd half is so much better than the first as 'Oh Comely' is the best song on there imo and it is a lot more interesting.

 

I'd rather listen to Sufjan Stevens anyday.

That album is so out there, it took me a while to get it. The playing is completely sloppy, the bass seems to do whatever the hell it wants, and it can't tell if it's a pop punk album or a folk album. But once I got it, it is a great great album. Probably overrated by some, but I think it's one of the great albums of the 90's.

I think this is the right thread for this.......

 

 

Meteora by Linkin Park.

 

 

I know its kind of bad timing because their new album is just dropping but Meteora amazes me because Im not really into the "genre".

 

 

There are like 6 really solid tracks. To me its the perfect blend of great melodies, slick production that sounded fresh in its time.

 

I still listen to Meteora and it hasnt gotten old.

Their first 2 cd's are really solid for what they are, which is catchy rock-rap. Nothing much, nothing less. The new one is awful.

^ That would go in the aptly titled, 'New Music' thread.

 

A few of us already talked about it.

 

A mod should split that off and move it and delete my post.

 

He's talking about their last album.

I stuck it in here cause it came out in like 2003 so I didnt consider it "new" music".

 

Oh well, a mod can move it if they want.

 

 

bobbob.....Limp Bizkit could also be considered "catchy rock-rap" yet IMO they never put anything out that could sniff Meteora's depth and killer hooks

I stuck it in here cause it came out in like 2003 so I didnt consider it "new" music".

 

Oh well, a mod can move it if they want.

 

 

bobbob.....Limp Bizkit could also be considered "catchy rock-rap" yet IMO they never put anything out that could sniff Meteora's depth and killer hooks

 

Well, Limp Bizkit was more rap than rock for the most part (first album maybe less so). They were more influenced by The Beastie Boys than anything else. Whereas Linkin Park was more influenced by metal acts than anything.

 

This is all conjecture, but I've always felt LP had the over the top seriousness of metal bands while the Bizkits took themselves a little less seriously. I saw more Wu Tang than Metallica in them.

I stuck it in here cause it came out in like 2003 so I didnt consider it "new" music".

 

Oh well, a mod can move it if they want.

 

 

bobbob.....Limp Bizkit could also be considered "catchy rock-rap" yet IMO they never put anything out that could sniff Meteora's depth and killer hooks

 

Well, Limp Bizkit was more rap than rock for the most part (first album maybe less so). They were more influenced by The Beastie Boys than anything else. Whereas Linkin Park was more influenced by metal acts than anything.

 

This is all conjecture, but I've always felt LP had the over the top seriousness of metal bands while the Bizkits took themselves a little less seriously. I saw more Wu Tang than Metallica in them.

 

 

 

Thats fair enough although I will add that LP has an electronic feel as well and have said themselves many times they were heavily influenced by Depeche Mode. In fact they did a cover of Enjoy The Silence back in 2004.

Yeah, I could definetly see that. More so, I'd say they have an industrial type of sound at times reminiscent of early NIN, who I could see being influenced by the likes of Depeche Mode. But that definetly makes sense, they've got some great pop sensibilities, it's just too bad they've backed themselves in a corner. I appreciate that they've tried to move away from it, but it feels so calculated on the new album. They conciously made a decision to not do the rap/rock thing anymore, and the transition seems forced.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.